Uber Drivers Forum banner

High society/low tippers

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  KellyC 
#1 ·
I've worked as a cabbie years ago, and I know working class people generally tip better than wealthy ones. At least in the livery field.
But I was peeved Saturday night when I picked up a group of drunk, obnoxious folk from The Oakwood Club on Far Hills.
I was immediately informed by drunk guy 1 that the guy sitting next to me, drunk guy 2, was a celebrity! He was the VP of a local car dealership (celebrity?).
All the way to their mansion on the far east of Beavercreek (damn near Xenia), I had to listen to talk of Titleist clubs, and how someone's swing had improved. All the while dutifully smiling, using 'sir' and 'ma'am' as I always do, while drunk guy 2 (the 'celebrity') was telling me "the best way" to get to his mansion. It was exactly what the app was saying out loud in front of him.
Then as you guessed by now, I got them safely there and......no tip. Nada. Zip.

I wonder how much money Mr. Reichard's party spent on wait staff at The Oakwood Club? And I bet they deserved it, but I literally had their LIVES IN MY HANDS getting them safely home. But F me, right?
I will no longer take trips from the Art Museum, The Schuster, The Oakwood Club or any other high faluttin' establishments. I am sure that list will grow. But at least I won't have to dead-head back from the sticks while there's a surge going on.

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a funny country club story from when I first started driving. I had a drunk guy who seriously sounded like a super posh shitbag. He asked me what kind of car I was driving (2016 Honda Civic ) and he actually said “I don’t believe they’ll let you approach the country club with anything less than a Mercedes “ all in a super snooty Jeeves voice. I laughed so hard and he heard me and got really pissed and said “Honda’s are for plebes” I wish I had it on dashcam but it was before I got mine. It was so damn funny

#5 ·
I picked up a guy and his wife from a modest waterfront home in Southern RI, and drove them to RI Hospital emergency room in Providence. I asked if they needed an ambulance, and they said no, the cardiologist directed them to get their as soon as they could.

You see, the gentleman's BATTERY POWERED HEART!!!! was having a minor malfunction, and it wasn't ambulance worthy.

So after loading and unloading his overnight bag, and insuring he had a safe, death-free trip to Providence Hospital, and unloading 10 feet from the ER door, I was tipped exactly nothing.

"Hey, thanks for providing services similar to med-evac transport and not killing me, here's nothing"

#6 ·
I've gotten a bit sneaky. If they are talkative, I manage to work in my (true) story about the guy with the difficult to find house in Oakwood not tipping if the conversation moves to Uber experiences (which I get asked alot about). I think there were a couple of people who tipped who otherwise might not have if this nugget hadn't been worked in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.