• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Hi From The Gold Coast, in sunny Queensland, Australia

mrcoolaus

Hi,
I am an existing Uber driver operating on the Gold Coast and sometime also in Brisbane, QLD, Australia.
I usually drive Friday & Saturday nights plus take a few extra trips during weekdays (after a year I have done 2,000+ trips so I consider myself an experienced Uber driver) :smiles:

Instyle

Really curious to hear your take on earnings/profit over the year. Insight from the year good and the bad.

mrcoolaus

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A bit of info as requested:

Total km driven - while doing the 2,000+ trips on the Uber platform - in the financial year 2014-2015 km 34,197 - GROSS pay $35,015 (average $1.02/km or an average GROSS pay of $814 per week for the 43 weeks I did do Uber) minus EXTRA operational costs of $8,642 for using the vehicle to do Uber giving a NET pay of $26,373 (or an average of NET pay of $613 per week. Driving approx. 4 hours during week days and 20 hours during Friday & Saturday nights giving an hourly labor rate of approx. $26/hour).
In comparison in this financial year 2015-2016 I have now done 5 normal driving weeks producing an average GROSS pay of $752 per week (indicating that the GST component is "eating" into my pay) reducing the hourly labor rate to approx. $24/hour. Please note that 5 weeks is NOT providing good basis for stats compared to 43 weeks, but I still find the net pay an attractive hourly rate.
My EXTRA operational cost does NOT include depreciation costs (since it is a car I bought cheap); the car is paid cash so no interest to be paid - you might need to include such costs.

Of all my trips I have not had any really bad experiences except 2 trips where a passenger without any warning (or signs of being drunk) did vomit. I feel that people trust Uber drivers e.g. I have done after school pick-up (3 pm) and pick-up of teenagers from Saturday night parties where the parents had gotten too much to drink to do it them selves so I had to do it for them. I have also experienced a young girl requesting me because she was being followed by a man and felt unsafe in a dark street in the middle of the night - the Uber car became her "safe heaven". In the early Uber days on the Gold Coast it was only young people (mainly from Bond Uni) I had as "Riders", but now it is all age groups. I have had some "Rider" a lot of times so I am indeed their "Private Driver". One "Rider" I have had a few times is a Taxi driver and to me that says it all - Uber is the BEST transport alternative, it's cheap, fast, safe & reliable and we all know who we are dealing with.

If you love driving, like talking to strangers and own a small car (with no loan on the car) and have a smartphone with an unlimited subscription plan - then Uber is IMHO something you should consider.

I honestly don't understand all the negative comments in this forum - Uber is a great invension for "Drivers" & "Riders". My wife say I got "A licence to Print Money" and it give me the flexibility to work exactly when I want!

If you want more info then please drop me a line at jvr -d o t- 2002 -a t- gmail -d o t- com - I don't want to start a long discussion here :-)

mrcoolaus

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Better enjoy being an Uber "Driver" as long as you can - in 10-15 years (some say in only 5!) cars with "Drivers" will be replaced by driver-less cars that operates much more efficient and cheaper. It is not only Google that is preparing such a "ride sharing" service, Apple and even Uber has now got software development teams working on such projects :-)

Instyle

Cheers for the response, it's different for many. Your numbers seem a little better, I was having to do 8-12hr shift to see any worthwhile return and even still seemed slim.

I stopped driving the day of the rate cut. Almost exactly 1 year driving, it was kind of addictive like smoking but more so like gambling (just one more, could be the pay off). It wasn't economically viable for me to continue with my figures.

I'd say it's been very different the last two months, but I wouldn't know for sure. Been tempted to switch on.