1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Hey Tampa Uber drivers

Discussion in 'Tampa' started by ubermanmike, Jul 3, 2014.

1. ubermanmike

ubermanmike New Member

Hey fellow Tampa Uber drivers! Finally got our city set up. Did everybody see the $5 per customer bonus this weekend? Starts at 4pm today. Does anyone know if the $15 guaranteed per hour pay is still going to be going on during this weekend? Any thoughts on how busy it will be? Thanks everybody!

2. UberTonyInTampa

UberTonyInTampa Member

Driving:
    UberX
    According to the last official email from Tampa Partners the $15 guarantee is as follows. I have not gotten this weeks email, they usually come out Thursdays, but until further notice. I do not know if they are offering the $15 guarantee tonight. If anyone else can confirm this please chime in.

Friday and Saturday
    • At least$15/hr from 5:00pm-11:00pm as long you accept 80% of requests
    • Plus $5 for every trip you complete from 5:00pm-4:00am!
    Sunday - Thursday
    • 80% of fares
    And YES.. I got the text message stating the $5 a ride starts today at 5:00 PM and running until Sunday at 4:00 AM to accommodate the holiday rush!

As far as busy? I am hoping we get slammed! Losing the $15 guarantee had dropped my weekly take way too much so I am re-strategizing to try to make sure I am located in hot zones to maximize my money!!!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  3. ubermanmike

ubermanmike New Member

Awesome, thanks for that info! I'm just starting out so I'm gonna have to find the hot spots too. Happy 4th guys!

4. FLToddy

FLToddy New Member

Hey UrbanManMike, how goes it so far? Fellow Tampa Uber here, it was hopping last night (by Tampa standards). I worked from 0930-0330 and had 8 pickups. Most of my pickups were from the Ybor area, and most drop offs were in South Tampa. If you're still looking for hot spots, I'd suggest drive around Ybor (Nuccio to 22nd street, Palm to 6th avenue) or South Tampa (Howard / Bay to Bay area) evenings.
    My last pickup for the night was off of Howard and Swann, drop-off in Clearwater. Nice $38 fare, but sucked deadheading all the way back home.
    My first night they had the $15 per hour guarantee, so my fares were $37 and the "other" was $87 for 4 pickups in about 4 hours. Last night, I worked around 7 hours, did 8 pickups, and made about $120. Not certain I'm going to continue if the bonuses stop.

5. UberTonyInTampa

UberTonyInTampa Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Hey guys! FLToddy, I have to agree with you on the bonuses. On the outside it sure looks appealing that you can make even $10-12 an hour just driving your car; however, in a night similar to the one you described I usually replace anywhere from $20-$30 in gas and with vehicle wear and tear on top of that I am not sure how much the effort is worth it.

Any other drivers feeling a pinch without the hourly guarantees and $5 bonuses?

6. FLToddy

FLToddy New Member

You're right Tony, once you consider all your costs it's not a great deal without the bonuses. If they ever start charging the $10 per week for the phone, it's a no-brainer m0ney-drainer for me. Here's my earnings from this past weekend:

Hours: 9:30 p.m. Saturday night until 3:00 a.m. Sunday (5.5 hours not counting travel to and from service area)
    Area: Stayed in the red/hot zone the entire time

# of trips: 8
    Fares: $117.97
    $5 trip bonus: $40
    -Uber commission: $23.60
    Net: $134.37

Fuel expense: $26.34 (at 18.1 MPG and $3.50 per gallon)
    Miles driven: 136.2
    Wear and tear rate: $0.3394 per mile
    (calculated at http://www.ehow.com/how_8259697_calculate-wear-tear.html)

Net earnings: $61.80 (Net minus fuel minus $46.23 wear and tear)
    Hourly wage: $11.23

Net earnings without $5 bonus: $21.80
    Hourly wage: $3.96

Obviously, if gas prices plummet or I get a super hybrid the numbers would change, but even assuming gas drops by 50% to $1.75 per gallon and I pick up a 38MPG gas sipper, my net without the bonus would be $41.87 with an hourly wage of $7.61, below the minimum wage.

It was a fairly busy night, I average a trip about every 45 minutes and each trip took about 15 minutes before I was back online again. The one exception was my last trip, which was a 40 minute ride that I had to deadhead back as it was all interstate over water.

Hate to be Debbie downer, I'm a numbers guy and I use data like this to help me make decisions. Hopefully there is a huge glaring error in my calculations and I'm actually making $100 per hour. If so, please let me know so I can update my numbers.

7. UberTonyInTampa

UberTonyInTampa Member

Driving:
    UberX
  8. Deb T

Deb T New Member

Hello I am new two weeks now to Uber. I live in Lutz, dont seem to be too many request for rides here. I always wind up in Tampa near USF area and Ybor. On an average I stay out five to six hours..Its hard to make $50 for the day and thats even my gas expense. Any help? where are the hotspots ..is there any other towns I should try here? thanks everyone. Oh! and when you uber do you keep driving around until you get a ride or do you park and wait???

9. PinCoUberDriver

PinCoUberDriver Member

If you are driving non-surge, then you will find it essentially impossible to make any money after expenses. Watch the app and learn where and when surges happen. Park if you can find a safe spot in or near a hot spot, otherwise, drive towards one. Minimizing unpaid miles is essential to making money.

Non-surge, turn app off and watch the passenger app to see when surge comes.

UberXTampa likes this.
  10. CheesyMike

CheesyMike Well-Known Member

If you ignore uber bs you'll make a lot more money while not destroying your car. Only pick up surge 1.7 and above. It is also essential to keep your app off until it surges.

UberXTampa likes this.
  11. ImaniDrivesUber

ImaniDrivesUber New Member

Hi! Is this page still a thing?

12. Taxi818

Taxi818 Active Member

Dude. This is 3 years old. Look at dates. Long gone.

13. Rakos

Rakos Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Talk about resurrecting a dead thread...wow!

Pipmeister likes this.