• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Hey, guys! New driver here, looking for advice!

NauticalWheeler

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If a poster can make you sad, driving is great for growing thick skin.
Check back after your honeymoon phase & let us know how rosy everything is.
Maybe someday I'll have driven enough to lose my rose colored glasses

• Funny
Reactions: MHR

goneubering

I always have a cup of hard candy to offer up to people if the ride is not like 5 minutes away. Had a mom and her three chillens the other day and gave them all some candy and while I was helping her get her crap out of my truck one of the kids stole the rest of my candy.So that's as far as I will ever go on giving a rider something. I'm driving them in my car, they should be giving me candy.
Post automatically merged:

Wow, you are so sad. That's pretty Tacky. Maybe you are correct but I would kind of feel like a bum doing that. Why not just go pan handle on the corner? Sounds like you have what it takes. I heard fake bums can make 6 figures after they get the hustle down.

I love dogs but would be kind of sketchy if it was a pitpull.
The minor thing I solve easy. Usually the parent comes out and asks if It's ok if I drop their kid off somewhere and I just say "If they are not sexually aggressive to men older then them I will be fine. Absolutely no reaching through the center console and grabbing Mr. Happy while I'm driving.
You got us. I guess you’re not a new driver after all. Goodbye.

IR12

I always have a cup of hard candy to offer up to people if the ride is not like 5 minutes away. Had a mom and her three chillens the other day and gave them all some candy and while I was helping her get her crap out of my truck one of the kids stole the rest of my candy.So that's as far as I will ever go on giving a rider something. I'm driving them in my car, they should be giving me candy.

Wow, you are so sad. That's pretty Tacky. Maybe you are correct but I would kind of feel like a bum doing that. Why not just go pan handle on the corner? Sounds like you have what it takes. I heard fake bums can make 6 figures after they get the hustle down.

I love dogs but would be kind of sketchy if it was a pitpull.
The minor thing I solve easy. Usually the parent comes out and asks if It's ok if I drop their kid off somewhere and I just say "If they are not sexually aggressive to men older then them I will be fine. Absolutely no reaching through the center console and grabbing Mr. Happy while I'm driving.
Still waiting on the thumbs down button...

I have started doing both Uber and Lyft in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex. Does anyone else work this area? I'm finding that weekends are busier than weekdays, but this week I got a trip to the airport from all the way out in the suburbs! :biggrin:

Any advice for a newbie? Like, should I have a tip jar or not? I saw a good one I could buy at Michael's for $12.99 :biggrin:

My riders say my car is immaculate and has "cool amenities" :biggrin: :biggrin:
Best advice.....quit now before you lose too much money. You will soon find that uber/lyft pay less than minimum wage after you deduct your expenses. Much better paying gigs out there. Plus, both companies are about to enter a shitstorm of regulatory issues that will end up leading to many lawsuits in the near future. They will need to take even more of your earnings to pay their lawyers.

ctdude6969

Drive till you cant drive any more, then drive a little more.
Tip jar is good for restaurant, but uber? nah
No water, no candy, no aux cords, no music choice (unless they love my music)
Allow customer to initiate conversation. Lie as needed.
Encourage good behavior.
Don't chase surges! Avoid heavy traffic.
If possible, make sure this is not your main source of income.
Go to gym at least 2 days a week. More if you can

When driving, think about self and forget there is anyone in your car.
Drive during rain so you do not have to wash car.
Find free vacuum and air machines in nearby apartment complex.
If married, remember that absence makes the heart grow fonder. Drive more.
Every 2 or 3 rides, go offline and stretch.
Find a center for your best business, always try to B line back to center.
Always consider taking tomorrow off!
This guy thinks 100% of the same way I do. Anyways, you will find some negativity on the board but it's because it's a hard job dealing with the general public, all the while Uber and Lyft continue to drop driver rates. I find the job to be easy, usually, but at least once a day if I'm doing an 8 or 10 hour shift, I will come across someone who is just a grouch, to put it very PG rated.... I have found as my rose colored glasses fell off, that 95% of your riders feel entitled in your car (eat without asking, mess with your stereo, bring their rowdy kids in, kick your seats and leave footprints all on them, ask you a million life questions like they're interviewing you for an important job, ect. ect.).

Some days you will have a crazy busy shift and make that goal you had set in your head or exceed it and be super pumped. Then eventually you are going to have those days where you are lucky to make $40 (like in summer in my area where it feels like 1/3 of the cars in a grocery store or walmart parking lot have Lyft/Uber driver stickers on them, and the market is WAYYY over saturated.

Remember at the end of the day, it is what you make of it.

ANiME

I have started doing both Uber and Lyft in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex. Does anyone else work this area? I'm finding that weekends are busier than weekdays, but this week I got a trip to the airport from all the way out in the suburbs! :biggrin:

Any advice for a newbie? Like, should I have a tip jar or not? I saw a good one I could buy at Michael's for $12.99 :biggrin:

My riders say my car is immaculate and has "cool amenities" :biggrin: :biggrin:
No tip jars or signs that would say Tips aren’t required but highly appreciate it.
Those who tip, they tip and those who doesn’t they simple don’t.
Provide a good service by following these simple steps: drive safe, go to your pick up location, pick up the passenger, Say Hello, confirm name of passenger, say How are you?, confirm the destination location. Ask how their day is going? If the passenger like to chat, have fun while conversations but stay positive and professional don’t go off topic or be personal about anything!
make sure temperature is good in the car, ask your passenger if they are comfortable with temperature, radio not too loud or too low. If they want music or to plug their music list on be prepared for it always. Provide chargers if needed. Amenities aren’t necessary, if you want to add and can afford them. Then do so!
say good day or goodnight when dropping off the passenger. If you has a good conversation with the passenger: say it was a pleasure meeting you or I had a great talk. and say thank you. That’s about it. Leave 5 stars to everyone unless you had a bad experience with someone.
but following this guide I guarantee you won’t have any negative experience with anyone. Unless they are drunk or mentally unstable. Or if they are one of those who treat everyone as their slaves or chauffeurs “The category that thinks they’re superior than everyone else” and don’t get satisfied no matter what you do for them. Then simply smile and say have a nice day. The chance to have same passenger is very low. If you don’t want to be matched again with anyone in the future, rate them below 3 stars and Uber (Lyft) would never match you again!

Welcome to the club, and best of Luck! :smiles:

mch

I usually get tipped on 10-15% of my rides. Pretty sweet right? No tip jar necessary!

Because you have such a cool avatar pic I'm gonna share my techniques.

I provide snacks (fresh baked snicker doodles, peanuts, pistachios, and pudding snack packs).

Bottled fiji water, and altoid mints.

I dress nice. Clean shaven, pressed slacks, fancy shoes, copious amounts of nice good smelling pomade in my hair, and a polo shirt. If im feeling crazy on a saturday night I may even splash on some hi karate.

When I pick people up from Walmart, after loading the pax groceries, I return their shopping carts to the cart port. I always make sure to apologize profusely for making them wait while I do this.

Whenever my pax bring up topics like politics or Religion I always express my gratitude and let them know how much I appreciate them for educating me with their awesome views.

I provide cup cozy's in case the pax decide they want to bring "road sodas". In the event I get pulled over and get a ticket for open container, I apologize profusely to the pax for the delay in the trip.

I make sure to keep the interior of my car at optimal temperature while I'm waiting for my pax to finish their meals at mcdonald's or if they are stopping by a friends house around the way to retrieve something.

Whenever one of my pax has to take a piss and there's no public bathrooms around I pull over, jump out and stand next to them with a water bottle so they can wash their hands afterwards. Also some paper towels on the ready so they can dry their hands. The paper towel thing I picked up at a fancy strip club.

If my pax decide to have sex in my back seat I make sure I'm extra careful to avoid potholes.

Raleighdriver8

Drive till you cant drive any more, then drive a little more.
Tip jar is good for restaurant, but uber? nah
No water, no candy, no aux cords, no music choice (unless they love my music)
Allow customer to initiate conversation. Lie as needed.
Encourage good behavior.
Don't chase surges! Avoid heavy traffic.
If possible, make sure this is not your main source of income.
Go to gym at least 2 days a week. More if you can

When driving, think about self and forget there is anyone in your car.
Drive during rain so you do not have to wash car.
Find free vacuum and air machines in nearby apartment complex.
If married, remember that absence makes the heart grow fonder. Drive more.
Every 2 or 3 rides, go offline and stretch.
Find a center for your best business, always try to B line back to center.
Always consider taking tomorrow off!
Can you explain how you make money not taking advantage of surge?

GreatOrchid

use that new driver bonus up and quit before you destroy your car

67 cents a mile is a joke

they got rid of surge for us still charging pax it though

TCar

Can you explain how you make money not taking advantage of surge?
Since i work job from 2-11 pm, my game is usually just to drive couple hours a day.
I hate traffic and driving downtown, so i generally hang in burbs.
Money is not as good as driving DT, but my car thanks me by getting great MPG and driving on glass top roads!
And sometimes the rare unicorn appears!

Raleighdriver8

Since i work job from 2-11 pm, my game is usually just to drive couple hours a day.
I hate traffic and driving downtown, so i generally hang in burbs.
Money is not as good as driving DT, but my car thanks me by getting great MPG and driving on glass top roads!
And sometimes the rare unicorn appears!
Yea, but I'm finding most burbs to have a ton of minimum rides, while I'm driving all over the place to get to the rides. And no tips. Gets really frustrating.

Ian Richard Markham

OK so for all you nut jobs that post without reading the entire thread let me just say that the Original Poster @NauticalWheeler actually has one of three Uber Driver Designations. His is Founding Driver. That's why this is funny because he's like one of the original fifty drivers in Dallas along with @ukguydallas. It's funny because they had to go to Uber class back in the day that was in an old delapidated warehouse. What they tought them there must have worked however because @NauticalWheeler doesn't vacuum and has a paint wrapped vehicle with an octopussy tablet trivia game in the back. He constantly reaches back there and taps the screen hung facing backwards on the passenger head rest. He runs the trivia game to up his useage numbers and clicks all the adds on the page every time the screen refreshes and they think he's the besy Octopussy operator over at Octopussy headquarters which are in Saginaw about 100 miles north of Wagner.

Here is a picture of what's actually called an Occulus tablet inside of an Uber vehicle.

Occulus tablet inside uber.jpeg