Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

"Hey buddy can you buy me a 12 pack of Miller on the way here?

3K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  Fuzzyelvis 
#1 ·
I stopped driving in Orlando 4 months ago, but from time to time I do turn on my Lyft app on the off chance I could pick up some one on the way back home.

Tonight I got a request that took the cake.

Josh , on London Rd winter Park, immediately calls me:

"Hey buddy listen, you can start the meter now, I want you to buy me a 12 pack of Miller lite and bring it home, I'll pay you for the beer with a big tip,[...] it's because my Lyft account is on my business card, so that way I can write off the beer as business expense..."

Hang up. Cancel. Log off. Delete app.

#6 ·
I posted earlier that the guys that promise a big tip always forget that promise once you arrive at the destination.
If I hear a promise I automatically consider this a non tip ride.
I would never buy beer up front unless it was my brand.
I would text back and ask for a $50 tip in hand .
Yeah if he had asked for Stella Artois, then may be....
Im a Heineken man. I would take PAXes tip and drink the beer. Good luck to PAX explaining it to Uber.

#8 ·
You might be the only one that took the fix to the pax.
I don't front beer, or anything else.
I don't believe a word a pax says. If a pax says "I will fix you up with a big tip" I know he is likely not telling the truth. After a couple of years driving, very few have followed through.
The real tips come at the end of the ride when you see the money being offered to you. Those are real tips.

#10 ·
You might be the only one that took the fix to the pax.
I don't front beer, or anything else.
I don't believe a word a pax says. If a pax says "I will fix you up with a big tip" I know he is likely not telling the truth. After a couple of years driving, very few have followed through.
The real tips come at the end of the ride when you see the money being offered to you. Those are real tips.
Didn't take the fix to them, just gave a ride to what I'm pretty sure was a drug deal then back home

#16 ·
I've done cigs before, but that was on Uber, so cash was exchanged in order for him to get the goods. With Lyft I'd be trepidatious because that tip goes on after the fact, not worth risking, unless you end the trip and he does the tip in front of you before you hand over the goods.

#19 ·
I've never had a pax ask me to pick things up for them. Just asked to wait while they run inside. I usually use those opportunities to hit the bathroom or grab an energy drink. Means I don't have to stop on my own dime later.

#21 ·
While on Guarantee hiding, I had this call and it was going towards my home which was perfect as it was almost end of my round of dodging uber work. He called and asked to buy some ciggies and bring them to his home. He told me to start the trip where I was and not need to wait for the time I arrived at the gas station. He also promised a tip. I got his brand, drove to his location and he came outside and paid me cash for the cigs and gave me a tip too. One time and good experience. At least he wasn't trying to waste my time by picking him up and taking him there. I didn't get burned and had really about 1 mile that was out of my way towards home. I think that was a win win situation and didn't ding my guarantee of $20/hour. 5 star for the future cancer victim.

#25 ·
Probably not legal in a lot of states. That's only a hop, skip, and a jump from just stocking up on a crap load of booze, waiting until the clubs and bars close, and then having the drunks call you when they run out. You'd make a TON of cash but its super illegal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.