Here's some depressing math

stemor

I recently started a new sales job that comes with salary, commission, family benefits, and expenses (like most full time sales positions, I suppose). My territory requires me to cover a broad geography that probably involves about 3,000 miles driven per month, put on my personal vehicle. Since this is a family-owned company, and they recognize that their sales people rack up unusually high miles, they use a reimbursement rate of only 2/3 the Federal standard ... thus, only $0.36/mile in 2016.

I was feeling a bit down about being disadvantaged by the seemingly low rate of only $0.36/mile, though I can deduct the difference between it and the standard of $0.54/mile on my taxes. As I'm rolling down the highway at about 80 MPH, for the about 400 miles that I had to cover today from Louisville KY to Memphis TN, it occurred to me that my Camry hybrid used about $20 in gas on this trip, and I only got $144 in mileage reimbursement for all this wear & tear.

I only got $144, less the $20 in gas I used over 5 hours of driving. That's a gross of $28.80/hour, a cash net of $24.80/hour after fuel, and certainly a loss of money after depreciation. But, that's just the mileage reimbursement ... and already, I'm doing almost TWICE AS WELL as I did when I was driving for Uber (at about $15/hour on any typical day)!

Add in the salary, the commission, the benefits ... I won't use specific numbers, it's not really relevant ... but heck, I was driving through a Prime Time of 25%-100% in Nashville, and I figured that any ride that I took would only slow me down, and I'd make LESS (per minute) than if I just kept on hammering on home.

I can now see me driving for Uber and Lyft occasionally, but I don't see me ever spending more than a few hours at a time, and never for anything less than 2.0x surge/PT.

Here's hoping that others have the same jolt of success in their efforts. (Most of) You ARE worth more than you're currently valued by the UberLyft community!

Last edited:

SEAL Team 5

I recently started a new sales job that comes with salary, commission, family benefits, and expenses (like most full time sales positions, I suppose). My territory requires me to cover a broad geography that probably involves about 3,000 miles driven per month, put on my personal vehicle. Since this is a family-owned company, and they recognize that their sales people rack up unusually high miles, they use a reimbursement rate of only 2/3 the Federal standard ... thus, only $0.36/mile in 2016.

I was feeling a bit down about being disadvantaged by the seemingly low rate of only $0.36/mile, though I can deduct the difference between it and the standard of $0.54/mile on my taxes. As I'm rolling down the highway at about 80 MPH, for the about 400 miles that I had to cover today from Louisville KY to Memphis TN, it occurred to me that my Camry hybrid used about $20 in gas on this trip, and I only got $144 in mileage reimbursement for all this wear & tear.

I only got $144, less the $20 in gas I used over 5 hours of driving. That's a gross of $28.80/hour, a cash net of $24.80/hour after fuel, and certainly a loss of money after depreciation. But, that's just the mileage reimbursement ... and already, I'm doing almost TWICE AS WELL as I did when I was driving for Uber (at about $15/hour on any typical day)!

Add in the salary, the commission, the benefits ... I won't use specific numbers, it's not really relevant ... but heck, I was driving through a Prime Time of 25%-100% in Nashville, and I figured that any ride that I took would only slow me down, and I'd make LESS (per minute) than if I just kept on hammering on home.

I can now see me driving for Uber and Lyft occasionally, but I don't see me ever spending more than a few hours at a time, and never for anything less than 2.0x surge/PT.

Here's hoping that others have the same jolt of success in their efforts. (Most of) You ARE worth more than you're currently valued by the UberLyft community!
But when you're rolling down the highway at 80mph for 400 miles don't you still make salary, commission, family benefits and expense reimbursement on top of the $.36 a mile?

stemor

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@sealteam5,

Yes, that's the sad part. I accrue those financial benefits while still getting paid for my mileage. That's why I chose to NOT pick up rides in Nashville, as it would actually do nothing but slow my arrival to home, and reduce my earnings / hour in the process.