• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Here's a twist: South Jersey Uber drivers suing Atlantic City cabs for posing as rideshare drivers

BurgerTiime

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/business/south-jersey-uber-drivers-suing-atlantic-city-cabs-for-posing/article_5047a6dc-9dc7-596f-9d7c-bfd9becf6e87.html

A group of 240 Uber drivers in South Jersey is suing the Atlantic City Yellow Cab Co. for damages, claiming they are illegitimately posing as rideshare drivers.

The class-action suit, filed Tuesday in Atlantic County Superior Court by United Drivers South Jersey, claims that the taxi companies are permitting their drivers to sign up for Uber accounts in order to poach customers, a practice that they say is forbidden and puts customers at risk.

“The Uber drivers claim that this practice deprives authorized Uber drivers of customers and fares that they otherwise would have received, but for the unlawful interference of defendants and their drivers,” according to a statement from United Drivers.

Atlantic City Yellow Cab Co. owner Murray Rosenberg said Tuesday afternoon that he had not yet been informed of the suit, but called it “staggering.”

“If anybody should be suing anybody, it should be us suing them,” said Rosenberg, whose family has owned and operated Atlantic City Yellow Cab Co. for 100 years.

Among other things, the suit includes claims under the New Jersey Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act, a state law to combat racketeering in commerce.

The drivers say that the taxis are putting customers at risk by picking them up via Uber because it invalidates their insurance.

Since coming to the Jersey Shore, Uber and Lyft drivers have faced fines in towns such as Atlantic City and Sea Isle City for operating without a proper license.

A state law approved earlier this year finally put in place regulations for rideshare companies to operate in the state, but Rosenberg believes that the drivers should be held to the same standards as taxis.

“(Uber) virtually destroyed the value of the medallions in Atlantic City,” Rosenberg said of the licenses required by taxi drivers. “Limos and taxis have to follow a number of rules and (Uber drivers) have considered themselves exempt from that.”

Rosenberg called the suit “nonsense” and wondered how rideshare drivers would even know how Atlantic City taxi drivers were operating. He was incredulous at the fact that rideshare operators are allowed to operate without taxi or limo licenses and that no one challenges it.

“We’ve been in business, my father and myself, 100 years as of May of last year, and we’ve never encountered anything like this,” he said. “No one has done anything about it.”

Rosenberg said that he has not yet retained an attorney.

The suit also names the Myra Cohen Trust located in Ventnor as a defendant.

The Uber drivers are represented by David J. DiSabato of DiSabato & Bouckenooghe LLC. Named plaintiffs include Lance Zeaman of Atlantic County and Robert Pellegrino of Camden County.

“It is the hope of United Drivers that the taxicab companies will take immediate steps to stop this dangerous practice, so that all involved can move on to more positive, exciting things regarding Rideshare and Atlantic City,” the United Drivers release states.

ftimmy

Wouldn't Uber's systems reject a vehicle that had taxi plates (unless it were UberTaxi, which they don't have anywhere in Jersey)? I'm skeptical that this is actually happening.

PorkRollUberAndCheese

I don't get this.

Granted, doing this long enough, you can see when people are waiting for Ubers.

But if a car comes up that doesn't match the description, and the driver doesn't look the same, how often does this happen to generate a lawsuit? Never mind the fact that experienced Uber riders know not to pay cash for the fare at the end of the ride.

No_Username

I don't get this.

Granted, doing this long enough, you can see when people are waiting for Ubers.

But if a car comes up that doesn't match the description, and the driver doesn't look the same, how often does this happen to generate a lawsuit? Never mind the fact that experienced Uber riders know not to pay cash for the fare at the end of the ride.
I've had times where a driver called and was like....I'm not in a Honda, I'm in a ford and then went on to explain that his Honda "uber car" was getting fixed. I know I could of reported him and he would of gotten diactivated but I'm not an a$$. But if a taxi cab showed up, then that's a different story

njctuberx

One party whines that their medallion monopoly tanked, the other sounds like 240 paid Uber actors.
Where's Judge Judy?