Here We Go

JPK

There may be no way to ask this without sounding snide, but I am sincere. The discussions boards here are full of animus toward Uber and toward customers. There are some persistent major themes:

Low net pay
The feeling that the company is manipulating and cheating
View of Pax as often entitled and cheap
Lack of riders/pings

My question: why are any of you driving for Uber? Is it that this forum reflects letting off steam but you're mostly content with how driving for Uber is working out for you? Does it reflect the dire nature of the job market?

UberAero

I'm new here but my best guess is that while you might be an awesome uber Pax, there are/is a few/majority that ruin the whole experience for the drivers along with the company having crap support for the drivers.

JPK

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm new here but my best guess is that while you might be an awesome uber Pax, there are/is a few/majority that ruin the whole experience for the drivers along with the company having crap support for the drivers.
You're restating my observations. I am asking why you guys/gals drive for them given those things.

IERide

I am new here and I've noticed the same thing. It's almost as though some of these "slave laborers" (yes, seen them refer to themselves as this type of victims) are being forced to do this..
I'm going to give Uber a try.. I don't expect to make more than $1k-$2k per month.. If it doesn't work out or if I don't like it, I'll try Lyft (will probably try Lyft either way) .. If that doesn't work out, I'll do something else.. I'm not going to play victim and whine about it.

LAuberX

It's the new world economy. Lots of desperation here, Uber dangles a carrot that turns out to be rotten.

Two years ago Uber was full of drivers having fun providing great service.

Today rates are 40% lower, basically removing any profit when all expenses are accounted for.

Tips are great, higher rates are what's really needed.

Sluber

It's the new world economy. Lots of desperation here, Uber dangles a carrot that turns out to be rotten.

Today rates are 40% lower, basically removing any profit when all expenses are accounted for.

hey what was moes user name...stabbed driver....i saw him and tried to talk to him and he was less than friendly....i want to ask him about it...

hbdope

I drive uber because of flexible hours and ability to generate more than minimum wage. I'm a medical student and one exam is at least $1,000 for me, my last exam was $1800 not including travel, books or my review course. My application for student loans was rejected so I need to make money somehow. I took an emt class but LA county is saturated with EMTs who have a high burnout rate and get paid minimum wage. Uber was the best option for me. I already paid for a $3,000 review course in Houston and I'm driving to fund what I'm calculating to be a $10,000 interview season.

I started June 2 and total made around $3600. That's with 1 week off for my review course. I don't know of many other jobs with the flexibility and ability to earn like this.

Last edited:

iheartuber

There may be no way to ask this without sounding snide, but I am sincere. The discussions boards here are full of animus toward Uber and toward customers. There are some persistent major themes:

Low net pay
Lack of riders/pings

My question: why are any of you driving for Uber? Is it that this forum reflects letting off steam but you're mostly content with how driving for Uber is working out for you? Does it reflect the dire nature of the job market?

Why do we work for uber? Are you unaware of the job market? There aren't a lot of better options out there

Duh

JPK

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I drive uber because of flexible hours and ability to generate more than minimum wage. I'm a medical student and one exam is at least $1,000 for me, my last exam was $1800 not including travel, books or my review course. My application for student loans was rejected so I need to make money somehow. I took an emt class but LA county is saturated with EMTs who have a high burnout rate and get paid minimum wage. Uber was the best option for me. I already paid for a $3,000 review course in Houston and I'm driving to fund what I'm calculating to be a $10,000 interview season.

I started June 2 and total made around $3600. That's with 1 week off for my review course. I don't know of many other jobs with the flexibility and ability to earn like this.
Thank you for a thoughtful reply. Obviously it does work for some drivers.

XUberMike

Low net pay
Lack of riders/pings

You really need to get a life

PacificCoast

I agree with OP and I was thinking of starting a thread with similar view but was too lazy because it would've been too long. I asked a same question to someone who expressed his displeasure with Uber, why he still drives.

Last edited:

PacificCoast

Why do we work for uber? Are you unaware of the job market? There aren't a lot of better options out there

Duh
Have you not seen all the high rise condos that have been built and still building in DTLA and Ktown in last 5 years? Who are they being built for? Certainly not for the unemployed.

Duh back

Optimus Uber

Some of us have our own regular customer base. We use uber to increase our regular customer base. If we have a good passenger we will give them our card. Be there private driver when they need us. They like the idea of having the same driver being able to schedule pickups.

I'll do about 6 uber rides per day. But it's just to see if I can find more quality of passengers for my business. That's what uber states. We are our own boss.

We take the cream off the top and leave the rest of the crap passengers on the uber system.

Honestly, anyone doing base fare pool or X rides are running their business at a negative revenue. Most of these drivers that uber told they are their own boss have no math skills. They don't realize there's no money in it until they have no money to fill the tank.

Uber preys on stupid. Not just the driver side but the passenger side as well. What do you think all your personal information is worth?

You all realize that when agree to Ubers terms and conditions you also give them the right to sell your demographic information. They have an enormous database of people. Where they go, when they go there, when they leave, etc.

Passengers are just as ignorant as the drivers. You get a cheap ride and uber gets to sell your personal information.

Master_Liu

Low net pay
Lack of riders/pings

Well, I haven't been driving too long with Uber myself, but ANYBODY that works for someone else or themselves often will let off steam/vent about their day/people they interact with. It's just the way it is.

Anyone in the customer service industry understands the different spectrums of humans. But there are other factors involved to your questions/statements. Everyone will have a different answer. For some it's about making your own hours, other extra cash to pay bills, etc, etc.

My opinion is that I treat everyone as I want to be treated. With respect. The Golden Rule. You treat others as how you want to be treated. And those that don't treat me with respect have their own personal issues in life.

There are other aspects that dance around this post. It just depends on ones outlook. People forget that they're interacting with other humans beings at times. Bottom line; Respect is a two-way street.

ABC123DEF

I'd go as far as to say that the rates are a full 50% lower that the initial rate per mile/minute ...if not more...in many markets.