Here is why Uber Comfort is a big insult to drivers

I've mentioned numerous times on this forum that Uber Comfort is a trojan horse for Uber to bring in more revenues by charging the pax more and taking more from the drivers at the same time. That's all its purpose. Not for bringing in a new option to cater to a certain group of pax who may want this specific kind of ride. But I doubt it's easy to see that it is a trojan horse of Uber's pure evilness without some math. So I brought the maths here.

I'll keep it simple. The fare calculations don't include the HST. So all the numbers are tax less. If you put up the destinations I mentioned here in Uber pax app, the numbers will be a little different as HST will be included on the app and also it'll be upfront pricing. Everything here is calculated theoretically based on the rates Uber has provided.

Also this whole thread is a comparison of how much Uber benefits for bringing Comfort vs You, not comparing how much more revenues it brings each ride. And I am comparing X, Assist, Select and XL against Comfort. I know Comfort is a 4 pax service and I shouldn't include XL but I am sure a lot of XL cars pick up a lot of Comfort so I included it just to get an extra perspective while I'm at the maths. Also, it isn't a thread to compare if getting a Comfort eligible car is worth it.

So I'm gonna use some sample trips to show my point. But first thing first, the rates I'm using from the latest addendum agreement.

rates list.png

Sample trips assume that:
- Rider was ready to board upon arrival, so no wait times charges are included in calculations
- No rides was cancelled, so no cancellation fees are calculated in the comparison
- "Uber's cut" amounts include the flat fee they take that is the booking fee
- All sample trips are assumed to be Comfort trips
- Trips times are calculated in times of no traffic congestion (4 AM etc)

Sample 1: A short trip

Casa Loma to ROM

short trip.png
short trip fare.png

Analysis:

Revenue gained scenario: Comfort vs uberX
  • Let's assume this was a Comfort trip. In this case, Uber made 37.5% more than it would have if it was an uberX ride but for the driver, that increase in earning from uberX to Comfort is only 30.8%, less increase than Uber. That means, the pax choosing to request Comfort trip was more beneficial to Uber than the driver in this case.
Revenue gained scenario: Comfort vs Assist
  • This one is nasty. The increase in revenue is much more higher for Uber in this case. Uber gets increase pay of 58.2% while the driver gets only 15.4% - if the pax choose Comfort instead of Assist! That's insane. This is a much more FU by Uber to the Comfort driver.
Revenue loss scenario: Comfort vs Select
  • Let's imagine the pax requested a Comfort instead of Select. That means there will be a loss to the Select driver that he's doing a Comfort trip in his Select car. As you can see in the numbers above, Uber would make $5.62 instead of $6.41, which is a 12.4% loss but for the driver it is 38.3% loss! Since he'll be making only $5.24 instead of $8.49 if it had been a Select ride.
Revenue loss scenario: Comfort vs XL
  • Here Uber lose nothing on this trip if the pax picked Comfort instead of XL. Let's say it's 4 big dudes who don't fit well in a regular uberX car, so they ordered Comfort instead of XL hoping that they'll get an XL car. So the XL driver here will lose 33.2% than if it was an XL. A big spank in the arse for the driver to take 4 big men who should've ordered XL but gamed the system by requesting Comfort until they get an XL car and Uber helped them game it as it doesn't affect them - 0% loss for them.

Sample 2: A long trip

Westin Harbour Castle (hotel) to Pearson Terminal 1 Departures

Ignoring the Pearson fees

long trip.png
long trip fare.png

Analysis:

Revenue gained scenario: Comfort vs uberX & Assist
  • As you can see, the longer the trip, the less gains you get for accepting a Comfort ping over uberX or Assist. For example, look at the uberX, if you took this Comfort ping you will make $23.95 vs $20.53 with X, that's $3.42 (16.7% increase) more for having a much more newer car to have it qualify for Comfort. Meanwhile Uber's Comfort gets $12.89 vs $9.59 with X. That's 34.4% increase for them!!! So they will be more glad than you that it was a Comfort trip!
Revenue loss scenario: Comfort vs Select & XL
  • As the fare gets bigger, the loss in revenue for you is much more than Uber's. For example, if it was a Select trip, Uber would've made $17.25 but since it's a Comfort, they got $12.89. They only lost out on 25.3% but the driver lost out on 41.6%. The driver took the most hit in this "rate cut" tier of the ride while Uber's loss is much less, almost twice less than yours.

Summary

• As you can see from the samples above, the increase you get from taking a Comfort ping over the other ride types is always less than what Uber will make
  • The loss you will take by accepting a Comfort ping is also more than what Uber will have to deal with, some trips it doesn't matter to them (like short XL trips)
  • The longer the Comfort trip, the less worth it is for the driver over other ride types like X or Assist because the increase is only like $4-5 or less. But for Uber the longer the Comfort trip, the better for them
  • So based on these observation, it's clear that the Comfort platform was not meant for the drivers to make bigger fares but instead it was more like for Uber to take more cuts from the drivers and while charging the pax more at the same time. And then also at the same time, since the driver has to provide much newer car and bigger cars to take those Comfort pings, I think the minimal increase the drivers get for taking these Comfort offsets increase earning.
  • Imagine a scenario: you get an X ping with your 2015 Honda Civic (5 year old car) and you earned $25. Another guy made $30 with from his last Comfort trip with his 2016 Grand Caravan. That $5 difference will be a small profit over the X when it costs more to drive the Grand Caravan.
  • Compared to uberX, Comfort trip extra earnings are less and less when the trip gets longer.
  • Compared to uberX, Comfort trips require most cars to be 2016 or newer (3 year old maximum
  • Compared to uberX, there are much less Comfort demands. That means longer wait times between pings.
  • Compared to uberX, Comfort trips require you to offer more amenities or accommodation to the pax
  • Compared to uberX, Comfort trips take 28% cut instead of 25% (like the uberX)
  • Compared to uberX, you have to wait longer for the pax until you can cancel and get the cancellation fee
  • Compared to uberX, Comfort trips require bigger cars in general, that usually means higher operational costs than X

This is all I have to say for now. Uber is slapping our faces in plain sight and we don't even know it.

Comments

Most don’t understand why Uber comfort exists.
This is a play to raise prices to the consumer. Increase quality and take more from the driver. It’s been a Cold War between Uber and Lyft for a few years now. Both knowing they can’t sustain the way they are going on deep discount price and neither wants to raise prices to hurt the brand. Comfort is a way to shift things and in time eliminate the smaller cars on the platform later down the road.

The majority of people don't even know/care about Comfort. I always ask pax if they know what it is and I always get a puzzled look. They want the cheapest ride possible, even if that means cramming 4 people into a Corolla (or worse). I'm sure that Uber would love to get rid of X and replace it with Comfort, but I don't see that happening.

Do you remember before Lyft rolled into town, when some drivers were chomping at the bit for Lyft to arrive in Toronto, that I had warned that there would be a price war between Lyft and Uber, and that we drivers would be the ones to suffer?
It was a quick 20k bonus until it fizzled!
Now I thoroughly enjoy screwing them over:rolleyes:

I've mentioned numerous times on this forum that Uber Comfort is a trojan horse for Uber to bring in more revenues by charging the pax more and taking more from the drivers at the same time. That's all its purpose. Not for bringing in a new option to cater to a certain group of pax who may want this specific kind of ride. But I doubt it's easy to see that it is a trojan horse of Uber's pure evilness without some math. So I brought the maths here.

I'll keep it simple. The fare calculations don't include the HST. So all the numbers are tax less. If you put up the destinations I mentioned here in Uber pax app, the numbers will be a little different as HST will be included on the app and also it'll be upfront pricing. Everything here is calculated theoretically based on the rates Uber has provided.

Also this whole thread is a comparison of how much Uber benefits for bringing Comfort vs You, not comparing how much more revenues it brings each ride. And I am comparing X, Assist, Select and XL against Comfort. I know Comfort is a 4 pax service and I shouldn't include XL but I am sure a lot of XL cars pick up a lot of Comfort so I included it just to get an extra perspective while I'm at the maths. Also, it isn't a thread to compare if getting a Comfort eligible car is worth it.

So I'm gonna use some sample trips to show my point. But first thing first, the rates I'm using from the latest addendum agreement.

View attachment 369986

- Rider was ready to board upon arrival, so no wait times charges are included in calculations
- No rides was cancelled, so no cancellation fees are calculated in the comparison

Casa Loma to ROM

View attachment 369988 View attachment 369989

Analysis:

• Let's assume this was a Comfort trip. In this case, Uber made 37.5% more than it would have if it was an uberX ride but for the driver, that increase in earning from uberX to Comfort is only 30.8%, less increase than Uber. That means, the pax choosing to request Comfort trip was more beneficial to Uber than the driver in this case.
  • This one is nasty. The increase in revenue is much more higher for Uber in this case. Uber gets increase pay of 58.2% while the driver gets only 15.4% - if the pax choose Comfort instead of Assist! That's insane. This is a much more FU by Uber to the Comfort driver.
  • Let's imagine the pax requested a Comfort instead of Select. That means there will be a loss to the Select driver that he's doing a Comfort trip in his Select car. As you can see in the numbers above, Uber would make $5.62 instead of $6.41, which is a 12.4% loss but for the driver it is 38.3% loss! Since he'll be making only $5.24 instead of $8.49 if it had been a Select ride.
  • Here Uber lose nothing on this trip if the pax picked Comfort instead of XL. Let's say it's 4 big dudes who don't fit well in a regular uberX car, so they ordered Comfort instead of XL hoping that they'll get an XL car. So the XL driver here will lose 33.2% than if it was an XL. A big spank in the arse for the driver to take 4 big men who should've ordered XL but gamed the system by requesting Comfort until they get an XL car and Uber helped them game it as it doesn't affect them - 0% loss for them.

View attachment 369995 View attachment 369996

Analysis:

• As you can see, the longer the trip, the less gains you get for accepting a Comfort ping over uberX or Assist. For example, look at the uberX, if you took this Comfort ping you will make $23.95 vs $20.53 with X, that's $3.42 (16.7% increase) more for having a much more newer car to have it qualify for Comfort. Meanwhile Uber's Comfort gets $12.89 vs $9.59 with X. That's 34.4% increase for them!!! So they will be more glad than you that it was a Comfort trip!
  • As the fare gets bigger, the loss in revenue for you is much more than Uber's. For example, if it was a Select trip, Uber would've made $17.25 but since it's a Comfort, they got $12.89. They only lost out on 25.3% but the driver lost out on 41.6%. The driver took the most hit in this "rate cut" tier of the ride while Uber's loss is much less, almost twice less than yours.

Summary

• As you can see from the samples above, the increase you get from taking a Comfort ping over the other ride types is always less than what Uber will make
  • The loss you will take by accepting a Comfort ping is also more than what Uber will have to deal with, some trips it doesn't matter to them (like short XL trips)
  • The longer the Comfort trip, the less worth it is for the driver over other ride types like X or Assist because the increase is only like $4-5 or less. But for Uber the longer the Comfort trip, the better for them
  • So based on these observation, it's clear that the Comfort platform was not meant for the drivers to make bigger fares but instead it was more like for Uber to take more cuts from the drivers and while charging the pax more at the same time. And then also at the same time, since the driver has to provide much newer car and bigger cars to take those Comfort pings, I think the minimal increase the drivers get for taking these Comfort offsets increase earning.
  • Imagine a scenario: you get an X ping with your 2015 Honda Civic (5 year old car) and you earned $25. Another guy made $30 with from his last Comfort trip with his 2016 Grand Caravan. That $5 difference will be a small profit over the X when it costs more to drive the Grand Caravan.
  • Compared to uberX, Comfort trip extra earnings are less and less when the trip gets longer.
  • Compared to uberX, Comfort trips require most cars to be 2016 or newer (3 year old maximum
  • Compared to uberX, there are much less Comfort demands. That means longer wait times between pings.
  • Compared to uberX, Comfort trips require you to offer more amenities or accommodation to the pax
  • Compared to uberX, you have to wait longer for the pax until you can cancel and get the cancellation fee
  • Compared to uberX, Comfort trips require bigger cars in general, that usually means higher operational costs than X

This is all I have to say for now. Uber is slapping our faces in plain sight and we don't even know it.
Why just analyze Uber comfort? All of Uber's rates are a big insult. You're analysis is a big waste of time.
You're lost in what Uber makes as a profit. Which has absolutely nothing to do With the drivers compensation. They pay us exactly What they say they will pay.
In my market and I'm sure it's the same in every other Market. Comfort rides pay more to the driver than X rides. As does XL rides pay more than comfort. You can run your analysis all day long. In the end Comfort is always going to pay more than an X ride to the driver.
The only insult in all of this Is that we are grossly underpaid in every thing we do.

• Article Author Article Author
Why just analyze Uber comfort? All of Uber's rates are a big insult. You're analysis is a big waste of time.
You're lost in what Uber makes as a profit. Which has absolutely nothing to do With the drivers compensation. They pay us exactly What they say they will pay.
In my market and I'm sure it's the same in every other Market. Comfort rides pay more to the driver than X rides. As does XL rides pay more than comfort. You can run your analysis all day long. In the end Comfort is always going to pay more than an X ride to the driver.
The only insult in all of this Is that we are grossly underpaid in every thing we do.
No offence but I think you absolutely missed the point.

I wrote this post to reveal that Comfort isn't what they try to advertise to the drivers. I'll repeat it again, it's a "Trojan horse" for them to increase the rates and take more cuts at the same time that they used to without making a blantly commission increase. So that drivers dont go berzerk ranting about uber's actions.

Uber could have kept the same commission rate, 25% and also make the booking the same as X. But that decided that they need to take more from the drivers than they used while providing nothing much more themselves and while making drivers with newer cars to do the job (Comfort pings).

Uber could have kept the same commission rate, 25% and also make the booking the same as X.
25% commission rate, seriously?
I don't think I've ever seen any ride where Uber only took 25%.

Too many times do I see minimum X fare rides where I get $2. 72 and Uber made over 50% ($3.89).
I don't think I've ever seen an X ride where Uber only took 25%.
The problem isn't just Comfort rides. Uber makes far too much money off of our Blood Sweat and Tears.

However when it comes to our compensation Uber pays us exactly what are Market contractual rates are. the extra fees and money's that they charge are screwing the passengers. There are no set rates when it comes to what the passengers are charged.

I drive a 2019 Jeep and I qualify for comfort but I only do 5 to 10 calls a week. Won’t drive the bar crowds cause don’t want pukers and this Jeep compass is nice inside but there’s really no room for suitcases so no airport either. and no I didn’t buy a new car to drive Uber.

.....few months I'll have the required rides, BUT even when it displays I doubt many pax will select. I had select before uber removed it and nobody picked it while it was displayed. Comfort even more expensive than select was......

25% commission rate, seriously?
I don't think I've ever seen any ride where Uber only took 25%.

Too many times do I see minimum X fare rides where I get $2. 72 and Uber made over 50% ($3.89).
I don't think I've ever seen an X ride where Uber only took 25%.
The problem isn't just Comfort rides. Uber makes far too much money off of our Blood Sweat and Tears.

However when it comes to our compensation Uber pays us exactly what are Market contractual rates are. the extra fees and money's that they charge are screwing the passengers. There are no set rates when it comes to what the passengers are charged.
Again no offence but it seems you don't understand the uber fare structure.

Base + min rate + km or miles rate = fare

That fare is where uber's commission rate comes from. Then uber also takes a flat booking fee on top of that commission rate. That's what you're talking about when you say they take more than 25%.

If you're going to include the total of what they take sure, you can say they take more than 25%. But it wouldn't be technically accurate way to describe it.
.....few months I'll have the required rides, BUT even when it displays I doubt many pax will select. I had select before uber removed it and nobody picked it while it was displayed. Comfort even more expensive than select was......
What are you talking about? Comfort is like 1.3x uberX surge. It's much cheaper than Select. It's a no brainer for Select pax to not pick Comfort.

View attachment 369986

Casa Loma to ROM

View attachment 369988 View attachment 369989

Analysis:

View attachment 369995 View attachment 369996

Analysis:

Summary

Great work.
Kudos!

I drive a 2019 Jeep and I qualify for comfort but I only do 5 to 10 calls a week. Won’t drive the bar crowds cause don’t want pukers and this Jeep compass is nice inside but there’s really no room for suitcases so no airport either. and no I didn’t buy a new car to drive Uber.
If you are using a new car for Uber, you lose. It does not matter if you tell yourself that you bought it for another reason. Try to justify it all you want, but it just ain't justifiable.

If you are using a new car for Uber, you lose. It does not matter if you tell yourself that you bought it for another reason. Try to justify it all you want, but it just ain't justifiable.
All depends. Every situation is different. I commute 50 to 60 miles to work for my day job. If I Uber on the way up there and on the way back and while I’m up there and on the way home yes it’s smart. My day job pays me .58 cents a mile on top of Ubers pay so let’s do the math. Milage day job = .58 + Uber .98 for a grand total of 1.56 per mile.

From the San Diego market...

In Southern Cal, your commute is measured in hours, not miles. Living in “the corner” bounded by the ocean and Mexico, the available area to drive is north or east on freeways. A lot of time is spent in a vehicle. And with the sprawl of tourist locations, it’s about once a week I drive equivalent of Toronto - Buffalo to the LAX airport.

Im driving a 2017 Chevrolet Equinox. X and Comfort only. Legroom, large luggage space, USB and 12volt ports. My business model is the “airport and business traveler”.

Imagine if I showed up for Husband, Wife, two kids and luggage for the 80 mile (maybe 1.75 hours, potentially 3) hour trip to Disneyland...in a Prius.

Not disagreeing with your economics, in this market Comfort represents about 65% of all my rides on both platforms, with about a 24% increase in my revenue. With gas at $4.09 at 24mpg, Comfort is a match to the SouthernCal lifestyle...even if Uber is gouging the customer.

Last edited:
In my market, I get $.70 a mile because I am one of the old 80/20 drivers.

Comfort is $.72 a mile. Wow, I get a whopping $.02 a mile more. Decline.