Here I go

JaySonic

FINALLY got approval of my DAC, notice came via email. Is there a card or something I also need to wait for (I was assuming a DAC was the ID card taxi drivers display on their windscreen) or am I good to go as soon as it gets uploaded to uber?

Dissendat

I believe you have to print out some piece of paper they send you and keep it in your car, and also upload it to Uber.

JaySonic

I believe you have to print out some piece of paper they send you and keep it in your car, and also upload it to Uber.
Yup done. I guess all I need now is for Uber to review and approve, and I guess the app will be turned on to get pings.

Any ideas from the veterans as to where and how I might ease into it on my first day ? I was thinking of being north of the bridge by 6am weekdays for starters.

kitchensink096

Try your local area and/or surrounding areas to get the idea/hang of it before heading into unknown roads and territory like the city.

As always, stay calm and have fun. It's a fun experience and a great way to meet people.

JaySonic

I should have mentioned, I live in Concord area. Not sure how much AM traffic there is, but I've no doubt I'll get into the swing of the same before too long.
As for staying calm, I've been reading this forum for many hours over the last week, so I'm pretty sure I know what to expect even fro the @@@@@@@@.

I better go buy some in car supplies today (vom bags for any night crawlers, tissues, maybe some water to tose who need it but stuffed if Im handing out candy to everyone.

WollyDriver

JaySonic I'd suggest you start in an area you know well, but you will quickly get pulled to an unfamiliar area anyway, so not a big deal.
I'd suggest candy before vomit bags. Candy is so cheap (mentos from the reject shop), and doesn't vanish very quickly. Only put a handful out at a time, just in case some pax wants to be greedy and take a lot. I've had many compliments on mentos, and never had a vomit (8 times stop and on the side of the road, but never in the car). I'd prefer to have the pax do it outside anyway, otherwise they might miss/spill the bag, and you need to dispose of the bag, etc... If they do a full vomit in the car, hit them for a cleaning fee.... just take plenty of pics of both the mess and the receipt/etc...
I find water + tissues great for the post vomit pax, they appreciate it a lot...... I usually take out around 6 bottles of water for a night, and get home with 2 or 3 left over. I generally drink at least one or 2. Sometimes that is more/less though :smiles:

PS, final newbie suggestion... get a friend or family member to sign up as a pax, use your referral code, they will get $10 free trip. Get them to ping you, and you take them to the shops or whatever. You will also get a $5 payment for signing them up.... This can help you understand how the app works, what you see on the ping screen, etc, how to start/end the trip, ...

Otherwise, just jump in, and don't worry about telling pax your a newbie, they often will rate you better to "encourage" you...

JaySonic

Thank so much Wolly. I'm equal parts excited and nervous.

There seem to be two camps here regarding candy. I'm leaning to the camp thats says 'no candy'. Doesn't seem to impact people's ratings, and I'm not operating a lolly shop. Water (on request, or if theyre sick) no problem. Tissues for comfort and courtesy also no problem. But mints and stuff, I don't think so. Maybe I'll keep some in the console for those @@@@@@@@@ who actually have come to expect it from every uber driver, but thats it.

Regarding a friend pinger, I was reading earlier that the assignment of jobs does not always go to the closest car to the rider. I'll just go to Uber Hub and get one of the girls there to run me through the app again

kitchensink096

Up to you to get mentos, but don't go overboard like someone did in another thread. 1 pack of 200 can last like a month or so. Just be weary some pax leave the wrappers around, so check after each trip. I have some and I enjoy eating them more then the pax. I don't offer by asking them, but the pack just sits there at the back and front for them to help themselves.

JaySonic

The Hub runs continuous presentations. Just watch and ask lots of questions. Easy.

Yep I saw the video and presentation down at Concord a few weeks ago but since theyve dragged on with my application, Ive forgotten most of it, so it would be wise to drop in on another one this week.

WollyDriver

True, but generally it is the closest. If you are outside the CBD, then even more likely (ie, not so many drivers around). Also, the friend can always cancel and retry until they get you.
Anyway, just a suggestion. When I started, I was never given the presentation at the uber office, the only instruction I got was to do the friend ping request. The only thing the uber office did was to submit my initial batch of paperwork, and to "fix it" when the email support people kept rejecting random paperwork for no reason. Once that was done, I was told to just dive in head first and "wing it"...
I took it upon myself to research a number of youtube videos on driving and the app/etc.... Anyway, best of luck :smiles:

PartnerPeople

Past Sponsor
I advise you go to hospitals to start.

I used to sit in these areas in the pickup and drop off areas or no parking areas for about 10 mins and then usually I would get a fare, its relaxing at the hospital and people are usually just wanting to get home after a visit or being discharged (and no one is drunk - usually - if you do nights there).

My advise is learn to read your map application so you know the street name before it approaches, even the next 2 turns and the names of each street. This will come in handy when you do venture near the city, the buildings in the CBD will make the GPS not always work, and it will think you are ahead or behind where you are, even a street or two across from the actual location. knowing the name before the GPS says to turn helps loads because you can keep an eye out for the turn.

I would also advise going into the city on a Friday night, application off and learn a bit about the roads and areas that are one way.

That said the best advice in here is to be calm, don't feel you need to talk, and remember if you say "I am new" and apologise if you miss a turn or go the wrong way, this will help you keep the customer happy, you can always adjust the fare, learn how the application works.

Smile and be polite and clear.

Remember it is your car, you are not a slave and if something feels wrong (like a customer with a bottle of alcohol open in your car) do not be afraid to politely ask them to rectify... otherwise if worried, just rate them fairly.

Accept tips!

Most customers are nice so don't worry.

I hope this helps.

JaySonic

Up to you to get mentos, but don't go overboard like someone did in another thread.

I saw that ridiculous image of a basket full of waters, juice,gums, mints, lozenges, tissues and perhaps condoms. That was over the top.

Really I dont wish to be a mentos guy. I'll aim to be pleasant, courteous and professional, I'll have an exhaustive song playlist of many genres to suit every occasion, and I'll even turn a blind eye to a lot of dubious goings on from riders (like Ubering to score/sell/whatever), but I'm drawing the line at lollies. As you said, the wrapper mess, but also that some tools might stash half chewed mentos around my car. No thanks.

JaySonic

Hi PartnerPeople

Hospital is a great idea to do some local night work away from the city. I live very close to a big public hospital and I know the area very well. It would be a breeze, even if it was only short commutes. I'm a bit of an insomniac, and also really taking on Uber so I have total hour flexibility. So nights in the area and days in the inner circle might suit me well

Good idea on a CBD crawl, I have no idea how the dynamics have changed now that George St is closed. Jeeze the other day I didnt even know where to catch the bus from !

You're right to mention booze in the car. There will be no eating or drinking of any kind in my vehicle. I will quickly enough learn how to communicate that without angering people.

PartnerPeople

Past Sponsor
Frank Sinatra gets no complaints, is a soft type, always did well for me, two CD's were enough and very soothing, helps you drive the speed limit and relax rushed customers... does not make you drowsy :-)

dcc.

I should have mentioned, I live in Concord area.
That's quite a good area to be starting in. Personally I'd suggest going down Lyons Road towards Birkenhead Point and you'd be likely to pick up a fare there. (Take this with a grain of salt as I don't drive morning peaks and don't really know what the demand is like.)

Re Mentos/Candy. Personally I don't, but if you are going to, I'd suggest something without individual wrappers because passengers will leave them behind and it just looks like a mess. I have a box of Eclipse Mints sitting in the centre console thingy, I won't offer but pax are free to help themselves if they want - works out well for me.

hostertully

make sure to familiarise yourself with all of the tunnel around Sydney. You will need to learn where to exit as the GPS will abandon you in the tunnels.

Key ones to familiarise yourself with IMO are

Cross city tunnel
Eastern Distributor

They can be confusing as they have multiple exits. One missed exit = you're in for a tense ride!