Here are some tips that i have learned driving

Ketofats

been driving since january but i wanted to share a few things.

1. Learn Waze and Google Maps. Both have advantages and both have disadvantages. Only thing great about waze are shortcuts and road closures (my opinion) but i'll only use it if a pax requests it. Google maps are also F'ed up at times but at least you can lay out the map beforehand and catch the stupid turns it tells you to make about 10-15 percent of the time, etc.

2. Pax app is separate app from driver app on uber, so you can space yourself away from other ants. What's good spacing in la core where there are a lot of drivers? 5 minutes or more i would say but if you're in an area like figueroa and pico today around 330pm less than 5 minutes is going to be ok. If you were there today for example there were MASSES of people there so hard that everyone was crossing the street and cars could not make right turns, LOL. LA Convention center/Staples center area can be really really tough on the mind but i'm a trooper and kept going back to the area after a few short rides that ended up yielding me one out to the valley.

3. It really helps to know what major events are going to be playing and if pax dropped a pin or just put in an address to the venue they want to get picked up at. Think of LAX or busy hotels during the weekend as a great place to try and get rides from. Sometimes there might even be shorties, but you can always go back to LAX, hotel, or arena to try and get something good. A lot of la drivers get scared of la live area pickups because they don't have a sense of what cars might be behind them or beside them but if you're willing to wait at the airport for a pickup (which i don't do because i'm not in that area) it's a great spot to be in just my opinion.

To me there is a reason why we have emblems on our cars to identify ourselves both front in back now. and that is for law enforcement to give us leeway but if you're being an idiot at LAX airport and doing what you're not supposed to be doing holy crap all bets are off.

Another example, how many of you have dropped off at red curbs? LOL if you do that in front a major bus stop, you are going to get in trouble if the bus is in back of you while you are taking a very long time so try and be out of the way ahead of time.

If uber is known to have a bad relationship with lapd, that would be like uber austin, tx vs law enforcement. it would just not be worth it to drive knowing i might be pulled over for something stupid.

Do any of you have an example of something where if you weren't known to be a rideshare driver that corruption would have happened against you? I definitely have an example and it was like the officer saw that i had done something wrong, went beside me to start talking to me about it but then realized i had my lyft glowstache. My final answer was that i had no excuses for anything and he moved right on along.

officer claimed that i had cut someone off which there isn't a such thing in los angeles at least. Think about it, *cutting someone off* no, definitely not me because i am over 40, i am experienced enough to gauge distance, i am experienced enough to judge speed when i look in back of me. all i have to do is beat you to the spot slash lane change and if you hit me from behind the driver behind me is always going to be at fault for rear ending me so SORRY, i know exactly what i am doing and again, don't think i am driving to purposely collect on your behalf in the court of law, even though you are a dumb driver for hitting anyone from behind.

Ketofats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
sorry about that, but it didn't take much time at all. i can type about 60 words per minute, i took typing in 8th grade so that's well over 30 years ago with all the practive i have had since then LOL

SmokeyTheRobot

sorry about that, but it didn't take much time at all. i can type about 60 words per minute, i took typing in 8th grade so that's well over 30 years ago with all the practive i have had since then LOL
Try slowing down, cut down some of those typos.

Tedgey

1. Learn Waze and Google Maps. Both have advantages and both have disadvantages. Only thing great about waze are shortcuts and road closures (my opinion) but i'll only use it if a pax requests it. Google maps are also F'ed up at times but at least you can lay out the map beforehand and catch the stupid turns it tells you to make about 10-15 percent of the time, etc.

2. Pax app is separate app from driver app on uber, so you can space yourself away from other ants. What's good spacing in la core where there are a lot of drivers? 5 minutes or more i would say but if you're in an area like figueroa and pico today around 330pm less than 5 minutes is going to be ok. If you were there today for example there were MASSES of people there so hard that everyone was crossing the street and cars could not make right turns, LOL. LA Convention center/Staples center area can be really really tough on the mind but i'm a trooper and kept going back to the area after a few short rides that ended up yielding me one out to the valley.

3. It really helps to know what major events are going to be playing and if pax dropped a pin or just put in an address to the venue they want to get picked up at. Think of LAX or busy hotels during the weekend as a great place to try and get rides from. Sometimes there might even be shorties, but you can always go back to LAX, hotel, or arena to try and get something good. A lot of la drivers get scared of la live area pickups because they don't have a sense of what cars might be behind them or beside them but if you're willing to wait at the airport for a pickup (which i don't do because i'm not in that area) it's a great spot to be in just my opinion.

To me there is a reason why we have emblems on our cars to identify ourselves both front in back now. and that is for law enforcement to give us leeway but if you're being an idiot at LAX airport and doing what you're not supposed to be doing holy crap all bets are off.

Another example, how many of you have dropped off at red curbs? LOL if you do that in front a major bus stop, you are going to get in trouble if the bus is in back of you while you are taking a very long time so try and be out of the way ahead of time.

If uber is known to have a bad relationship with lapd, that would be like uber austin, tx vs law enforcement. it would just not be worth it to drive knowing i might be pulled over for something stupid.

Do any of you have an example of something where if you weren't known to be a rideshare driver that corruption would have happened against you? I definitely have an example and it was like the officer saw that i had done something wrong, went beside me to start talking to me about it but then realized i had my lyft glowstache. My final answer was that i had no excuses for anything and he moved right on along.

officer claimed that i had cut someone off which there isn't a such thing in los angeles at least. Think about it, *cutting someone off* no, definitely not me because i am over 40, i am experienced enough to gauge distance, i am experienced enough to judge speed when i look in back of me. all i have to do is beat you to the spot slash lane change and if you hit me from behind the driver behind me is always going to be at fault for rear ending me so SORRY, i know exactly what i am doing and again, don't think i am driving to purposely collect on your behalf in the court of law, even though you are a dumb driver for hitting anyone from behind.
Where did you learn that wonderful brevity?

J/k. Believe it or not, once somebody accused me of rambling as well. Crazy I tell you. Totally crazy.

WMUber

1) S.T.O.P. = Slight Tap On Pedal
2) S.T.O.P. = Slow To Obverse Police
3) S.T.O.P. = Squeal Tires On Pavement

Derp Derp

Has anyone found a logical way to interpret either map program when you're first starting your ride? It seems that no matter how diligently I try to figure out which way I'm facing and which way the computer thinks I'm facing, not to mention which way it thinks I should go vs. the shorter way if I hook a quick u-turn, I basically end up doing donuts with new passengers in the car, until the (at least) half block has passed for Maps or Waze to figure shit out.

Seriously, I pick the way it says, it really means the other way. If I pick the opposite of the way it says, it really means the other other way. Why don't these stupid programs have directional memory? Pain in the rear buttocks.

uber strike

give us some tips to minimize our expenses. like never accept a 8 minute plus pick up. always look to see how many miles you have to drive to pick up. it could say 6 minutes but if it's a freeway route you are traveling about 4 miles in that same 6 minutes (night shift). you just got one of my best tips.

Ketofats

Try slowing down, cut down some of those typos.
yes i need to proofread, yes i need to capitalize etc but if i did everything i was supposed to do, i would no longer be able to say as much on this board.

my mentality is that i hope people are able to see when i might be drunk, when i might be pressed for time, whatever the case may be and let me slide because they can already feel over the computer what i am truly like without ever meeting me.

A lot of people on here and not going to let me slide, and i totally understand that because i am in tune with human nature. I can come across as a person who doesn't know what they are doing/saying and i already accept it.

For the criticism that you did on me honestly? i can tell that you are probably a good person and i like good people. I kid you not anywhere in la county it's very hard to find good friends good people unless you have known them since junior high school.

Ketofats

Has anyone found a logical way to interpret either map program when you're first starting your ride? It seems that no matter how diligently I try to figure out which way I'm facing and which way the computer thinks I'm facing, not to mention which way it thinks I should go vs. the shorter way if I hook a quick u-turn, I basically end up doing donuts with new passengers in the car, until the (at least) half block has passed for Maps or Waze to figure shit out.

Seriously, I pick the way it says, it really means the other way. If I pick the opposite of the way it says, it really means the other other way. Why don't these stupid programs have directional memory? Pain in the rear buttocks.
thank you for bringing this issue up. yeah it is totally F'ed up as far as the syncing goes so what i like to do is ask the pax what direction is best to start off the navigation. Of course a lot of these drivers on this board are total pros without needing to ask the pax but other than that, i totally understand where you are coming from.

My opinion is that we need to respect all the older drivers on here who are old enough to know about thomas guides. They have a lot of pride in being about to study these thomas guides before google maps etc so they definitely deserve to be in ridesharing hall of fame.

Ketofats

give us some tips to minimize our expenses. like never accept a 8 minute plus pick up. always look to see how many miles you have to drive to pick up. it could say 6 minutes but if it's a freeway route you are traveling about 4 miles in that same 6 minutes (night shift). you just got one of my best tips.
minimize expenses? hhhhhmmmmmm....... my tips are to driver for uber only, have metro mile insurance and be in your car to accept rides anytime when you are not sleeping and be on the platinum status.

How can 1 get platinum status? just 75 rides a week? don't pay attention to that because this is subject to change. You want my opinion, be online for every single hour that you can every single day aside from you needing to workout,eat or go to the bathroom. You might even have 1 week where you give 200 rides but you know what, there might come that week where you can't even give 75 rides because you were sick or whatever but at least your track record would show consistency, and your account would never be compromised because you were trying to work the system etc.

you gotta figure it out man, every area, every city, state is always going to have to have the possibility of being different and everything is subject to change.

What's my opinion for now about minimizing expenses? honestly all this sounds like is that you want to make money. Being that there are so many ant farms in los angeles core, might it be worthwhile to take the greyhound and what not to the valley while they are hot and being able to make way more money off surge slash metals and i don't know what? Hell i don't know what the F the deal is but as of now it seems to me that you can make some money in the valley at this point (subject to change being that la core is saturated) and rolling with the punches seems very important.

XUberMike

You forgot, hit your head with 24 ounce mill face hammer daily to condition yourself for dealing with customer servive.