• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Help- Ride refusal

Please advise me. I worked a Saturday night that had incentives. I picked up 4 drunks and as I was heading off the actual ride came up on the app as being cancelled. They said they didn't cancel so UNPAID I took them to their destination. It was Sat. night so numerous ride requests kept coming in while I was driving these guys so I had to refuse them. Uber did not pay me any incentives for the night because my refusal rate was too high !!!!
I worked from 9pm to 3am and because I did the right thing by the company I got screwed, can anyone advise?
I drive to make money, in my month with Uber I have only refused one ride-why the hell would I do that on a Saturday night. Am very pissed off

UberxD

Why are you driving for free. Should've asked them to leave. Additionally, since the ride wasn't active under Uber (the fare wasn't running). Their 1 million dollars liability insurance isn't in effect. You are personally liable.

It is also against Uber's policy to pick up a "hail". So if the app isn't active, you are required by Uber not to take the riders. Don't feel guilty next time, ask the people to exit the vehicle and re-request another driver.

UberPissed

Next time, turn off the app - email them with as many details as possible.

I have had this happen with a fare where I thought I started but didn't realize I didn't until I dropped off. Just give them the start/stop time/address.

As for the refusals - no way to get around that one. Get used to the world of driving for Uber. They don't give a F about you. I had same incentive story, except I was getting pinged for rides 22 minutes away. No way am I driving 1/2 good for a $6 fare.

With those incentives - ignore them, it floods the market with divers. For Lollapalozza weekend in Chicago I went 25 minutes between fares at 10pm at night. They said it would be highest demand of the year. It probably was, but every driver was out and about too.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey thanks Uber pissed. Think you made the decision for me. Get another week or two pocket money and get the f--- out. My rating keeps dropping and the only arse holes I have had have been passengers, never been rude or late and my rating keeps dropping. Also had same experience here in Pittsburgh, went out for peak period and nothing. Am sick of this world right now where everyone takes, makes me want to go back to ....

LAuberX

If you can't accept pings, go "offline" until you can.

If ride ends/ cancels, pull over and have customer request a new ride. You will be the closest driver to accept, then continue.

No customers in car except on active trip! You have no income or insurance!!

KrisThuy

uber did not screw u
its those drunk that screwed u

i would drop their arse in the middle of no where

i had a passenger who canceled the ride in the middle of the trip, i kicked his arse out

UberPissed

I think there are ways to do it right with uber - get a super efficient car, leverage the high mileage rate with the IRS standard rate (e.g., a car that costs 10 -15 / mile to drive, and able to deduct .56 / mile).

Have something to do while waiting for fares - I have my laptop and teathered wifi, so I am able to do some of my 9-5 work on the road. It works out well that way.

Which is really the frustrating part - I think the only way you can make it worth it, is if you are a casual driver. And the things uber has put in place, regarding the device fee, low rates, makes it difficult for a part timer that is smart, to continue to do it.

MaCo

Sorry, you got scammed! That's practically the only way to scam a driver. I had something similar happen, but from a nice passenger, so we agreed that she would sit in my car, call for an Uber, and because I was the closest, I got the call. Simple, straightforward, I got paid, and I was insured. My advice NEVER put your foot on the accelerator until you have the red bar on the app verifying that you are on the clock..

dimoko

why didnt you have them re-request a ride? you'd obviously be the closest person to them. i had a lady do that. her friend requested a ride, and i cancelled that ride and said "no not charge customer" then the rider requested the ride, the ping went to me, and i accepted it...

OldTownSean

Please advise me. I worked a Saturday night that had incentives. I picked up 4 drunks and as I was heading off the actual ride came up on the app as being cancelled. They said they didn't cancel so UNPAID I took them to their destination. It was Sat. night so numerous ride requests kept coming in while I was driving these guys so I had to refuse them. Uber did not pay me any incentives for the night because my refusal rate was too high !!!!
I worked from 9pm to 3am and because I did the right thing by the company I got screwed, can anyone advise?
I drive to make money, in my month with Uber I have only refused one ride-why the hell would I do that on a Saturday night. Am very pissed off
If you want to pick up drunks on Saturday night you should drive a cab. You get double the fare plus good drunk tips and if they puke it's not your car.

I drive ubers clean customers on the weekdays and cab it on Friday/Saturday.

Moofish

I had a pax cancel a ride while I was waiting for them outside a store. Being the first time it happened, I didn't know what happened, their hotel was only 1/2 a block away, so I took them back anyways while I was offline.
Looking at my dashboard later, I got $9 on a canceled fare that normally would have been $4-$5.

SunSmith

I've had a rider 'pocket cancel'. Had them re-request before taking them any further. They were nice about it, as was I. However, not driving with customers in the car without the app running due to insurance coverage.

UberDC

If you can't accept pings, go "offline" until you can.

If ride ends/ cancels, pull over and have customer request a new ride. You will be the closest driver to accept, then continue.

No customers in car except on active trip! You have no income or insurance!!
I completely agree. This is YOUR OWN FAULT. Simply pull over and have them re-request. Otherwise known as common sense.

OldTownSean

I've had a rider 'pocket cancel'. Had them re-request before taking them any further. They were nice about it, as was I. However, not driving with customers in the car without the app running due to insurance coverage.
Not sure I understand ... how can they cancel after you start trip on phone ?

Art

They can cancel and some will because they have gotten away with it before.
Pull over right away ask them to leave or re-request NO EXCEPTION!
no good deed goes unpunished.

ex-uberfan

I think another reason the unscrupulous riders will cancel, they think that the driver will be afraid that they will get a low review if they don't just suck it up.