Hello, is this a bad or good time to start driving?

NotYetADriver

Hello,
I've unfortunately come into some tough times (like everyone else) and once again I'm thinking about driving for Uber.

I've heard it's a bad time.....but honestly have no clue.

Any thoughts (South Florida)

Thanks

SinTaxERROR

Hello,
I've unfortunately come into some tough times (like everyone else) and once again I'm thinking about driving for Uber.

Thanks
You will accept my 15 minute away ping, wait for me until I make my way to your car at the 4:59 minute mark as I smoke a cigarette in front of you, bark orders at you as I tell you we need to go through the McDonald’s drive thru, stop at 7-11, follow the route directions I give you, wonder if I have some contagion every time I sneeze or cough, sweat heavily on your seats, eat my powdered donut, talk loudly on my phone, breath heavy, and wonder if I am going to 1⭐ you as I report you for DUI, running red lights, harsh braking, dirty car, car smell, comfort, and bad attitude... just so I can get a free $4.59 round trip ride where you might break even or more than likely lose $$$ on, all the while leaving you no tip, and slamming your door shut as I get out of your vehicle, after thanking you for the ride.

Still interested in driving?

TemptingFate

Hello,

Thanks
It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.
Mostly worst of times. On top of all that's wrong with Uber and the paxholes, you now have the added bonus of potentially catching a fatal virus.
You picked a great time to hit the road!

Realist2019

It depends on whether or not you feel safe driving potential COV-ID riders in your vehicle. Masks are not 100% protective so one has to weigh the risks. Also it depends on where you want to drive. That's what I base my driving on. I stopped driving Lyft when the virus hit here in Delaware and started doing UberEats. Much less chance of getting infected, especially you protect yourself.

RodB

I will try to be honest here and no sarcasm..
I know, not like me

Things are not great with Uber right now, most areas are slow. Some are not too bad others are terrible.

If you are wanting to get into gig jobs, especially at this time I would recommend:
Signing up for several different ones, try different ones out and decide which one(s) you want to stick with.

Always have a plan b (and c( and d))

I would check out and sign up for Uber and or Lyft. Check out GrubHub, instacart, roadie, doordash etc.

Sign up for at least one restaurant delivery app, one transportation app (uber or Lyft) and a package/grocery delivery app.

It takes a week or 2 to get approved usually.

Diversify, Uber and Lyft can kick you off their platforms for a lie from a pax. It happens all the time.

Roadie seems to be a really good one in my area... They have grocery deliveries for Walmart, they have home Depot, Menards, tractor supply etc ..
They also do deliveries for small companies and individuals.
They have long deliveries if you want to do Those as well. Those are made for people already planning to go that direction and basically pay for your gas and thats it but can help pay for a road trip.
One good thing about it is you can do it anywhere not just your town or state so you can make a little cash while on vacation..

Sorry didn't mean to post so much about that one app lol..

If you choose to do gig jobs be prepared for an unknown future, it could get big or all the companies could keep cutting pay until it's not worth it..have another plan.

kingcorey321

There is zero money driving passengers .
Today the money is driving food . I have been earning 25 to 40 an hour here is a sheet from grub hub typical earnings for 2 hours and a half
yesterday earnings on a sunday we all know sundays are slowest day of the week. Hope this proves a point stop driving passengers during this c19 To bad the money will not be like this next month it will be back to normal 15 to 25 an hour
Earnings summary
Total earnings $100.39
Delivery pay $47.74
Tips $52.65
GH contribution $0.00
Orders delivered 7 orders
Acceptance rate 50
Scheduled hours worked 2 hours
Order details
Time Status Earnings details Total
12:28PM Rejected
Boston Market

No order pay $0.00
12:44PM Accepted
Buffalo Wild Wings

$4.10 delivery pay + $1.01 mileage (4.391 mi) + $7.98 tip $13.09
1:10PM Accepted
Taco Bell

$4.52 delivery pay + $1.74 mileage (7.565 mi) + $13.80 tip $20.06
1:45PM Accepted
Los Tres Amigos

$4.44 delivery pay + $1.94 mileage (8.435 mi) + $5.64 tip $12.02
1:52PM Rejected
KFC

No order pay $0.00
1:54PM Rejected
Lefty's Cheesesteak Hoagies

No order pay $0.00
2:06PM Accepted
QDOBA Mexican Eats

$1.81 delivery pay + $2.00 bonus + $0.92 mileage (4 mi) + $4.11 tip $8.84
2:13PM Accepted
On The Border

$2.95 delivery pay + $2.00 bonus + $1.18 mileage (5.13 mi) + $7.07 tip $13.20
2:44PM Accepted
Taco Bell

$3.23 delivery pay + $2.42 bonus + $1.56 mileage (6.783 mi) + $6.82 tip $14.03
2:50PM Rejected
Mitchell's Fish Market

No order pay $0.00
3:11PM Accepted
Los Tres Amigos

$7.64 delivery pay + $4.28 mileage (18.609 mi) + $7.23 tip $19.15
3:26PM Missed
KFC

No order pay $0.00
3:28PM Rejected
Saroki's Pizza (Ecorse Rd.)

No order pay $0.00
Total $100.39
Lets see loser uber eats daily earnings .Keep accepting those 3 dollar orders lol.

RodB

Today the money is driving food . I have been earning 25 to 40 an hour here is a sheet from grub hub typical earnings for 2 hours and a half
yesterday earnings on a sunday we all know sundays are slowest day of the week. Hope this proves a point stop driving passengers during this c19 To bad the money will not be like this next month it will be back to normal 15 to 25 an hour
Earnings summary
Total earnings $100.39
Delivery pay $47.74
Tips $52.65
GH contribution $0.00
Acceptance rate 50
Order details
Boston Market

No order pay $0.00
Buffalo Wild Wings

Taco Bell

Los Tres Amigos

KFC

No order pay $0.00

No order pay $0.00
QDOBA Mexican Eats

On The Border

Taco Bell

Mitchell's Fish Market

No order pay $0.00
Los Tres Amigos

KFC

No order pay $0.00

No order pay $0.00
Total $100.39
Lets see loser uber eats daily earnings .Keep accepting those 3 dollar orders lol.
That is really good.

I have not had any luck with food delivery myself and Uber has been going pretty good (have been doing pretty good with grocery delivery though)

It all depends on the person and location.
Diversify and be ready for anything...

MiamiKid

Earnings summary
Total earnings $100.39
Delivery pay $47.74
Tips $52.65
GH contribution $0.00
Acceptance rate 50
Order details
Boston Market

No order pay $0.00
Buffalo Wild Wings

Taco Bell

Los Tres Amigos

KFC

No order pay $0.00

No order pay $0.00
QDOBA Mexican Eats

On The Border

Taco Bell

Mitchell's Fish Market

No order pay $0.00
Los Tres Amigos

KFC

No order pay $0.00

No order pay $0.00
Total $100.39
Looks very good; however, I cannot handle delivery. It's either Uber X or my gig career's over.

My goals are accomplished; so, am good either way.
👍

Sandie52

So far I am doing well financially. Not as good as I would like but I'm not hurting yet. I had a part time job as a school bus attendant that I am getting paid even in the time of covid-19. I am also retired and collecting SS and a pension. Both of which are very small. Uber was a supplement. I might try doing Uber beginning in June to fill in when I loose my part time attendant pay unless I can get UE from that job.

Oscar Levant

Hello,

Thanks

Very bad. Try UberEats, due to stimulus money, people are ordering food like crazy.
See my article on the home page UberX vs UberEats (if it's still there). I'm doing about $20 an hour now.
Post automatically merged:

You will accept my 15 minute away ping, wait for me until I make my way to your car at the 4:59 minute mark as I smoke a cigarette in front of you, bark orders at you as I tell you we need to go through the McDonald’s drive thru, stop at 7-11, follow the route directions I give you, wonder if I have some contagion every time I sneeze or cough, sweat heavily on your seats, eat my powdered donut, talk loudly on my phone, breath heavy, and wonder if I am going to 1⭐ you as I report you for DUI, running red lights, harsh braking, dirty car, car smell, comfort, and bad attitude... just so I can get a free $4.59 round trip ride where you might break even or more than likely lose $$$ on, all the while leaving you no tip, and slamming your door shut as I get out of your vehicle, after thanking you for the ride.

Still interested in driving?
Chuckle. I've done UberX since 2013, it's not that bad.
Post automatically merged:

That is really good.

I have not had any luck with food delivery myself and Uber has been going pretty good (have been doing pretty good with grocery delivery though)

It all depends on the person and location.
Diversify and be ready for anything...
My tip % have ranged 35% -- 42% (figured as a percentage of gross) thus far, and I've been doing it about 2 months. Still, it's more than I was making for UberX.

Last edited: