• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Hello, I am about 30 days from getting my TLC in NYC

Inshur

Learntoletgo

I do not have a car yet and so I am weighing my options.

Should I rent the vehicles I see on the Uber affiliate sites? They can be almost 450 a week! That's $1800 a month! <<< freekin' nuts!

My other option is to buy a vehicle that's less than 30k and use that for rideshare driving. The payment would be about (estimates) 500/mo loan + 500/mo for tlc and regular insurance. So roughly 1000 dollars a month - that's on the high end.

My final option would be to buy a SUV that can sit more people - that would run about 38k minimum (as I am aiming to drive for Uber SUV) - anyone know of a cheaper SUV that would qualify for Uber SUV? - I have not found a thread for Uber SUV drivers in NYC yet.

Anyway, I am looking for thoughts and advice on how to proceed.
one final thing, I am looking for people who CAN give me advice on what to do. Those of you who want to complain or say "I won't make money..." can just not respond. The money is out there and I intend to get some of it!
Thanks.

bigdreamslittlemoney

Should I rent the vehicles I see on the Uber affiliate sites? They can be almost 450 a week! That's $1800 a month! <<< freekin' nuts!

My other option is to buy a vehicle that's less than 30k and use that for rideshare driving. The payment would be about (estimates) 500/mo loan + 500/mo for tlc and regular insurance. So roughly 1000 dollars a month - that's on the high end.

My final option would be to buy a SUV that can sit more people - that would run about 38k minimum (as I am aiming to drive for Uber SUV) - anyone know of a cheaper SUV that would qualify for Uber SUV? - I have not found a thread for Uber SUV drivers in NYC yet.

one final thing, I am looking for people who CAN give me advice on what to do. Those of you who want to complain or say "I won't make money..." can just not respond. The money is out there and I intend to get some of it!
Thanks.
http://www.njstateauto.com/

Five Star

Uber offer 2 weeks free (car), take advantage of that before you make a commitment to finance a vehicle.
I've been renting for the last year because I don't see this industry as a long term career. I pay $375/week all included, everything, insurance, registration, mechanic, parts, inspection, tires and I have it in writing that I'm not even responsible for the deductible in case of an accident. I know $375 is a lot, but is headache-free.
Other then that, drive safe and good luck to you.

Learntoletgo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Uber offer 2 weeks free (car), take advantage of that before you make a commitment to finance a vehicle.
I've been renting for the last year because I don't see this industry as a long term career. I pay $375/week all included, everything, insurance, registration, mechanic, parts, inspection, tires and I have it in writing that I'm not even responsible for the deductible in case of an accident. I know $375 is a lot, but is headache-free.
Other then that, drive safe and good luck to you.
Thanks for the info
What kind of car are you driving?
Since your expense for the year was 19500 why not buy a vehicle? Then you will not have to pay that expense?

roadman

Thanks.
you will regret.

Five Star

Thanks for the info
Since your expense for the year was 19500 why not buy a vehicle? Then you will not have to pay that expense?
Well...lol
You said you didn't want to hear "you're not gonna make money", so I skipped that part and just gave you the "positives"...lol
I drive a (what else) Toyota Camry.

bigdreamslittlemoney

Thanks for the info
because you will spend 3000-6000k on insurance, 720 on oil change alone (synthetic) if you want your car to last. repairs 500 - 2000, servicing 1000 what else am i forgetting guys oh i forgot 1500 for getting that TLC plate on the car.

Wardell Curry

You can get a used 2013 camry for $330 every week and not be stuck in a long term lease program. Start small and see how you like it before buying a car cor uber. I bought a new car for Uber but I knew it was for the long run. I did the research and calculated exactly when my car would be paid off and I would make enough money to quit. I am 7 months from my goal.

jaybx17

because you will spend 3000-6000k on insurance, 720 on oil change alone (synthetic) if you want your car to last. repairs 500 - 2000, servicing 1000 what else am i forgetting guys
gas of course, any fender benders if they occur, tickets from greedy city, renewal fees, inspections every 3-4 months, tires etc..........

Five Star

In all honesty, I went to a dealer and found a 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium,in very good shape (non-Uber car, 65K miles) the asking price was $18K, I applied for financing and they asked for a $4.000 down payment, that plus taxes, TLC fees and registration, Insurance down payment, I was looking at $6.500 (maybe more), and that is well above my pay grade. And, if you buy a used car like that, you're bound to incur expenses in the first year ,for a car that in two years (if it lasts that long) you'll be lucky to get $2.000 for it. So I've been renting. Truth is... There's no formula, (unless you're UberMike), you find what works for you and go with it.

Learntoletgo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You can get a used 2013 camry for $330 every week and not be stuck in a long term lease program. Start small and see how you like it before buying a car cor uber. I bought a new car for Uber but I knew it was for the long run. I did the research and calculated exactly when my car would be paid off and I would make enough money to quit. I am 7 months from my goal.
Can you get a little bit more specific?
Like the type of car, it's payments? Do you drive in pool, x, xl, black, SUV etc?
How did you calculate?