• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Hello From Ventura, CA

cspringer805

Hi, Cecily here, from Ventura, CA. Just about to go online for first time and see if I get any rides. I've lived in Ventura since, forever, and I look forward to driving around my community. I've read all the "welcome, and "before you drive" info but I look forward to hearing any tips, advice, or input you have for me. I'm currently driving in a black Nissan Juke (a small SUV). They stopped making them in 2017 and I got myself a used one this December. I didn't have full intentions of driving for Uber at the time so I didn't take into consideration whether it would qualify for Uber black, or Uber SUV(it doesn't) but I totally love my car. My last car was a 96 toyota camry. It served me well, gave me 247,000 miles before it told me it just couldn't take it anymore.
About me, I'm an animal lover, traveler, amatuer writer, and love to sew my own clothes. I have a bachelor's in criminal justice but the more I worked with the government(ok, post office, lol) the more I realized, I don't want to work for the government but would rather concoct crime fiction stories. In the meantime, I'll drive for uber and "do what I want, when I want to." Looking forward to meeting everyone here.

Cecily

Last edited:

Alan Tirado

Hi, Cecily here, from Ventura, CA. Just about to go online for first time and see if I get any rides. I've lived in Ventura since, forever, and I look forward to driving around my community. I've read all the "welcome, and "before you drive" info but I look forward to hearing any tips, advice, or input you have for me. I'm currently driving in a black Nissan Juke (a small SUV). They stopped making them in 2017 and I got myself a used one this December. I didn't have full intentions of driving for Uber at the time so I didn't take into consideration whether it would qualify for Uber black, or Uber SUV(it doesn't) but I totally love my car. My last car was a 96 toyota camry. It served me well, gave me 247,000 miles before it told me it just couldn't take it anymore.
About me, I'm an animal lover, traveler, amatuer writer, and love to sew my own clothes. I have a bachelor's in criminal justice but the more I worked with the government(ok, post office, lol) the more I realized, I don't want to work for the government but would rather concoct crime fiction stories. In the meantime, I'll drive for uber and "do what I want, when I want to." Looking forward to meeting everyone here.

Cecily
Good luck in Ventura, I drive in Santa Barbara when I visit my family and it’s slow but douable. You just have to pick the right spots and times

driverman1985

Hey there, Cecily. I'm also in SoCal looking at taking the plunge and driving for UberXL.

Have you had any rides since you posted this? How'd they go?

KK2929

Best advice, starting with this forum and your paxs -- don't believe most of what you hear and don't give out personal information. You are hired to take them from point A to point B, nothing else.

cspringer805

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey there, Cecily. I'm also in SoCal looking at taking the plunge and driving for UberXL.

Have you had any rides since you posted this? How'd they go?
hi, yes I have, about 35 rides. except for two weird riders, all my riders were nice and pleasant. going out again tonight after super bowl. it is kind of slow but this is where I live, so whattayado.

cspringer805

Hello again!
A question for any veteran(experienced) Uber drivers. I've only been driving for over a month so I was wondering, when the gas prices go up....do the rates increase too, or are we going to feel the squeeze? I will not drive if I can't make a profit; I'm not against going to the next county(SB) to make more $, but I just wonder what the experience is for others. Thanks

Declineathon

Best advice, its okay not to accept a ride request, you dont get deactivated for that. More importantly, do not click start ride until they are all in the car, and your ok with them, their attitudes.

You can cancel, and should cancel if you wish.

Id cancel the following:

falling down drunk.
Pissed off at me for taking too long
Christmas tree in hand
Any furniture at all.

1.5xorbust

Hello again!
A question for any veteran(experienced) Uber drivers. I've only been driving for over a month so I was wondering, when the gas prices go up....do the rates increase too, or are we going to feel the squeeze? I will not drive if I can't make a profit; I'm not against going to the next county(SB) to make more $, but I just wonder what the experience is for others. Thanks
Uber has never given drivers any consideration for gas prices. As long as Uber has enough drivers rates will not increase.

KK2929

How'd that strike go for you? Get a big raise?
----------------------------
What the strike did get was attention and an invitation to Sacramento to discuss the issues that drivers are having with an agency larger and stronger than Uber or Lyft, known as the Calif government. Meetings are also set with L.A. City and the L.A. County Supervisors. The public is sadly unaware of how much these companies take from the drivers. The important fact is to keep hammering until positive results are achieved.

cspringer805

Has anybody noticed in Ventura and Santa Barbara County that there are more(like a lot!) Lyft passengers than Uber the past week? It could just be me but I had maybe 8 Uber rides and 30+ rides for Lyft. Am I missing anything?

Jay Dean

Has anybody noticed in Ventura and Santa Barbara County that there are more(like a lot!) Lyft passengers than Uber the past week? It could just be me but I had maybe 8 Uber rides and 30+ rides for Lyft. Am I missing anything?
In the 4 years in the past that I have done this I have had some weeks that were non stop lyft rides, and other times Uber. I’ve never been able ever understand why some weeks were that way, it is very possible Lyft had sent out a discount code to a lot of pax in your area.

In Austin, most of the sane and cool people use lyft and the cheapskates use Uber.

I usually look at it as Uber customers shop at Walmart and Lyft pax shop at Trader Joe’s, lol but that’s Austin’s market.

Drivincrazy

I drive Uber x in Las Vegas...I'm from Lancaster, about 80 miles from Ventura. I love your regional area. Anyway, I have 8,200 U/L rides. I try real hard to do quests and surge rides only. I don't do base rate rides...you lose on many of them.
Put up a tip jar...you must hustle extra money. In LV, drivers occasionally get kickbacks from liquor and marijuana stores and Strip clubs. See what you can find in your area.
Don't be afraid to cancel a ride because it is not profitable...you won't know where you are going until you start ride or you ask pax, first. I don't do it often, but I have done it.
Lyft is no longer worth driving.
GL.

Roadmasta

Probably free rides or incentives to get customers. These companies like to burn money just to gain market share. Look at your trips and what customers pay and what Lyft or Uber takes. Sometimes they operate at a loss. These companies have better incentives for riders than drivers.

Wolfgang Faust

Cecily
Good luck.
Just be yourself.