Uber Drivers Forum banner
141 - 160 of 165 Posts
Discussion starter · #141 ·
I would say he would accept meaningful guidance /help. Sure, most of us want to be independent and are ashamed to be helped, but once you get to a certain low point you know you have to take any help you can get.
He will get sick one day, and there is where humility is faced.

Weaving past a cluster of parked RVs and scattered cars, Gary Branson pulled his dark-blue Prius onto a sandy median on the Great Highway and motioned at the Pacific Ocean.

"Welcome to my bedroom," he said wryly. "Cars drive by at 50 mph a few feet away, but I do have a lovely view."

Branson's Prius, immaculate inside and out, is both his home and his workplace. He is an Uber driver, putting in some 60 hours a week behind the wheel to ferry passengers around San Francisco. Late at night he drives to a location where it's legal to park, reclines the navigator seat, wraps his burly 6-foot-2-inch frame in a red plaid blanket, and tries to block out the traffic noise to get some shut-eye.

He's figured out practical ways to cope: joining a gym for showers, neatly stowing duffels with food and clothes in his trunk, keeping most possessions in a storage unit, frequently vacuuming the car, installing two inverters to directly plug in his laptop or electric razor.

But it's a hard life.

"It looks like I'm making it work, but I'm still a homeless person," Branson said. He choked up when asked whether he gets lonely.

His situation underscores what critics call ride-hailing's poverty wages and precarious nature. Although he earns about $1,200 a week (averaging $20 an hour) after Uber's cut, work expenses such as gas, oil changes, new tires and other maintenance, traffic tickets, car payments, car insurance, cell phone bill and self-employment taxes eat a big chunk of his income.

Then there are unexpected car crises, such as when his engine and battery conked out, costing him $3,000, or when his car got rear-ended. Two weeks ago, he drove over a rough patch of road and ended up paying $1,140 to repair the front suspension.

Personal expenses add up, too - food costs a lot more when you don't have a place to cook.

As Uber has cut rates and bonuses in recent years, Branson's hopes of digging himself out of this hole have dwindled. He's pinning some hopes now on California's AB5 law, which could make drivers into employees. Gov. Gavin Newsom signed it Wednesday after it passed the Senate and Assembly. Uber and Lyft, however, plan to fight reclassification in the courts and through a 2020 ballot initiative, instead seeking a new worker category called "network drivers" who are independent contractors with wage guarantees and some benefits.

Branson doesn't think becoming an employee in itself will do much for his finances, but it's what comes next that he's counting on.

"Step one is us becoming employees," he said. "Step two is that we can form a union and begin to negotiate a more reasonable percentage" of ride fares for drivers to keep. Uber's cut is generally 30%, but he and other drivers say that's too much - and that it sometimes takes much more.

Uber said it couldn't comment on a specific driver's situation and reiterated past statements about improving their lot. "Drivers are at the heart of our service - we can't succeed without them - and thousands of people come into work at Uber every day focused on how to make their experience better, on and off the road," Uber said.

It's impossible to say how many ride-hailing drivers are unhoused. San Francisco used to require drivers to get business registrations using their addresses, but homeless drivers could use post office boxes or friends' addresses. Anecdotally, the number seems small and yet still striking, considering that these are people who often work full time and still can't afford a roof over their heads.

Veena Dubal, a UC Hastings law professor who studies ride-hailing, said she's talked to several drivers who live in their cars.

Some are "migrant drivers," commuting long distances from far-flung corners of California to San Francisco where driving is more lucrative. They bed down in cars, with friends or crammed into cheap motels to drive long shifts for a few days before returning home. A Chronicle investigation found that almost 10% of San Francisco drivers fit this category.

But others are like Branson: They have nowhere to go.

"They live in their cars because it's so expensive in the Bay Area and there are so many unexpected expenses that come along with driving," Dubal said. Many are trying to preserve their meager savings as a safety net, she said.

That's exactly what Branson does: He tries to keep $1,000 in savings at all times because that's the deductible on Uber's collision insurance. He's afraid to drive for Lyft because its $2,500 deductible is too big a risk.

With a shaved head and neatly trimmed salt-and-pepper mustache and goatee, Branson, 48, says he looks like a Viking. He has a sardonic wit - "I might as well crack jokes while I can," he said - and hopes to turn his gift of gab into a podcast telling "wild and wacky stories" about driving for Uber.

The son of a Baptist preacher who grew up in a small town in Iowa, Branson said he's estranged from his family - "all a bunch of Trump voters."

He spent nine years selling residential solar systems in Stockton. He'd previously worked as a jack-of-all-trades, a gaffer and key grip, a bartender, a waiter, a massage therapist. "I've led the life of a pinball, always stricken with wanderlust," he said.

He went through a rough patch after a divorce, wrecked his credit, ran up IRS bills and burned through a lot of money helping an ill friend - whom he still partially supports.

Selling solar became less remunerative, so he started doing ride-hailing in the Central Valley as a side gig about 2½ years ago.

When his Stockton landlord evicted him, he didn't have the resources for a new place. He stayed in campgrounds. Then he realized that driving would pay better in the Bay Area, so he came to San Francisco full time 18 months ago - and quickly realized that the barriers to getting a place here were even higher.

"Driving can be a lower-middle-class or upper-lower-class proposition as long as nothing ever goes wrong," he said. "But life happens; things go wrong. If you're living so close to the edge, there's no way to handle any of life's emergencies when they come up."

He's built up his savings several times only to have car catastrophes. When his car got rear-ended, it was totaled. The $6,500 insurance payout wasn't enough for another car, so he signed up for a pricey rental through Uber and drove even more than usual to accumulate a down payment on his 2015 Prius.

The car is such a lifeline that he's fearful of anything happening to it. He prefers to eat from drive-throughs. The one time he tried delivering through Uber Eats, he emerged from picking up an order at a McDonald's and was terrified to find a police officer writing him a ticket with a tow truck standing by. He threw himself on the officer's mercy and was spared.

"I have one little, itty-bitty fortress I can call a vague place of safety," he said. "Anytime I leave my car is stressful."

60 hours isn't enough, we fall down when we don't do enough. I can say I feel sorry, or that's sad, but what will it change for this man? All we can do is accept that we aren't doing enough, we need to change ourselves, and our situations, and let our struggle be the motivation to do so, instead of our crutch keeping us back, and excusing us of the work we need to do.

I drive in SF too. Gave up my APT and bought an old van, threw in a twin bed and started sleeping in it. Rent was too much and apartment was too noisy anyway. Have lived outta my car before but a van with a bed is better. Couldn't stand landlord getting my money.
How is that living in a van? What do you do if you need to take a dump or a whizz?

Disincentivizing hard working people from getting ahead and stealing their money and labour is a surefire way for the country to go bankrupt because no one wants to work anymore and when that happen society as you know it disappears. People never learn from the past and always keep making the same mistakes over and over again because of absolute greed.

Call me crazy but I am still a firm believer of that one should be able to enjoy in the fruits of their own labour and be rewarded for it.
What do you think about Andrew Yang and his free $1K per month for every adult?

I don't know why people don't move somewhere else. Why would someone rather be homeless in San Francisco or LA than have an apartment in Iowa? If I was somewhere I couldn't afford to live I would hitch hike my ass out of there. I have seen stories of college educated people with jobs in Silicon Valley living in vans. There are sane people,with sane jobs, where there are sane prices, all across this great country. Go there.

I don't know why people don't move somewhere else. Why would someone rather be homeless in San Francisco or LA than have an apartment in Iowa? If I was somewhere I couldn't afford to live I would hitch hike my ass out of there. I have seen stories of college educated people with jobs in Silicon Valley living in vans. There are sane people,with sane jobs, where there are sane prices, all across this great country. Go there.
You have to be capable of supporting yourself in Iowa. I have carried plenty of clients that live in a tiny studio apartments here in Atlanta or in California or new York for work and fly home to Kentucky, Ohio, back to Atlanta, or somewhere similar where their families live. Find a job that pays comparably in a Podunk town, city, or state, with a nightlife, and access to a decent airport, I guarantee you can't.

If you are living in your car, you are homeless. First priority should be to get a roof over your head. Nightlife? Airport? Those are luxuries.
Just saying, the person I replied to said why do people not pickup and move to Idaho. A lot of folks would rather be homeless where they are than have a home in the middle of nowhere.

Just saying, the person I replied to said why do people not pickup and move to Idaho. A lot of folks would rather be homeless where they are than have a home in the middle of nowhere.
I understand but disagree. That's why I wrote if you're homeless, you need to get your priorities straight. Should we feel sorry for homeless dude who insists on living in SF when he could live in 90% of the rest of the country and be able to rent an apt? Seems like homeless by choice doesn't really deserve as much sympathy as those who are homeless due to mental illness or other disability.

I understand but disagree. That's why I wrote if you're homeless, you need to get your priorities straight. Should we feel sorry for homeless dude who insists on living in SF when he could live in 90% of the rest of the country and be able to rent an apt? Seems like homeless by choice doesn't really deserve as much sympathy as those who are homeless due to mental illness or other disability.
I can't say for that guy, but I know for myself I would be hard pressed to live somewhere else because San Francisco has diversity. I recognize a lot of people will say this is 2019 and I'm on the lighter skin side of minority and I say that my coworker/friend shouldn't be shy about advancing despite her semi-heavy accent but,

that is because she lives in the Bay Area. There are open minded people here.

are there open minded people everywhere? Yes, but in much smaller pockets then sf.

here we welcome different colors, different genders or neutral gender etc etc. a lot of the bathrooms I see these days are "gender neutral".

basically, I feel more home here despite the rising costs. If I have to Hustle and adjust my lifestyle to stay here then that's what I'll do. The other city I might stay in in the US would be cities like New York or Chicago or possibly LA.

But SF has everything I need-the convenience and the culture here matters to me. Are there dbags? Yes. Are there homeless people? Yes. But no city is perfect.

I also don't know if I'll have the guts to uproot and move to the middle of nowhere without family or support.

the guy quoted in the article, didn't move far...

and he probably figures this is one of the "better" paying markets where there are more passengers.

Homeless is homeless. To me living in your car if you own it isn't homeless, a car is almost as big as a studio apartment without the amenities. If you need to work in San Francisco to make the money you need that's what you do, I just don't understand the complaining. Clearly 60 hours a week clearly isn't enough for where he works, he should be pulling 80hrs and making sure they're the best hours. I'm sure with that he could make 5k every 2 weeks doing that and afford an apartment to rent.

What do you think about Andrew Yang and his free $1K per month for every adult?
This is already being practiced in the natural resources geyser that is the state of Alaska. Catch 22 is the residency stipend to qualify for the stipend which varies each year. Alaska residents saw one of the biggest payouts back in 2015. State gave each denizen a $2k welfare check for simply breathing air. Perhaps our aspiring driver needs to move there. But like 99.99% of SF homeless denizens, he doesn't seem the type of chap who would take to the cold weather... :rolleyes:

How is that living in a van? What do you do if you need to take a dump or a whizz?
Why I thought that was unequivocally clear? He makes daily offerings to the Climate Change gods. By adding his exotic brand of organic fertilizer to the wonderfully #Woke and most pungent, feces stained/urine bleached streets of SF. Just like many ride share drivers and every homeless person ever on the tax payer welfare list..... :roflmao:

Homeless is homeless. To me living in your car if you own it isn't homeless, a car is almost as big as a studio apartment without the amenities. If you need to work in San Francisco to make the money you need that's what you do, I just don't understand the complaining. Clearly 60 hours a week clearly isn't enough for where he works, he should be pulling 80hrs and making sure they're the best hours. I'm sure with that he could make 5k every 2 weeks doing that and afford an apartment to rent.
$10k per month gross puts him in the highest state CA tax bracket and 4th highest federal tax brackets. Getting a $3.5K per month apt. After factoring all local city, socially conscious/SJW welfare agenda taxes, and all of his current expenses/obligations (especially that sick friend health bill)? His meager remaining disposable income kinda somewhat defeats the whole purpose living as a car bound hobo without a working loo don't you think?

Regardless, getting an apt assumes he could even FIND a decent studio apt $400+ rental box that's not located in culturally enriched and diverse hoods like the Tenderloin. Just like this lucky fellow....:smiles:

Although this gig looks a lot more promising. I'm tempted to buy stock in this company tbh

I thought that $1000 was money he could set aside each month. But no he has trouble maintaining a $1000 savings account

I agree there must be something else to this story. Like the friend he is helping. And he is estranged from family because of their politics? I'd vote for trump or at least keep my mouth shut, it that's what it took to get a cot in someone's basement or garage.

There a lot of truth to what you say, but as long as you use your own car for business purposes, you can deduct the 58 cents a mile (unless of course your employee compensates you for the uae of your car)
That changed in 2018.

This is already being practiced in the natural resources geyser that is the state of Alaska. Catch 22 is the residency stipend to qualify for the stipend which varies each year. Alaska residents saw one of the biggest payouts back in 2015. State gave each denizen a $2k welfare check for simply breathing air. Perhaps our aspiring driver needs to move there. But like 99.99% of SF homeless denizens, he doesn't seem the type of chap who would take to the cold weather... :rolleyes:

Why I thought that was unequivocally clear? He makes daily offerings to the Climate Change gods. By adding his exotic brand of organic fertilizer to the wonderfully #Woke and most pungent, feces stained/urine bleached streets of SF. Just like many ride share drivers and every homeless person ever on the tax payer welfare list..... :roflmao:

$10k per month gross puts him in the highest state CA tax bracket and 4th highest federal tax brackets. Getting a $3.5K per month apt. After factoring all local city, socially conscious/SJW welfare agenda taxes, and all of his current expenses/obligations (especially that sick friend health bill)? His meager remaining disposable income kinda somewhat defeats the whole purpose living as a car bound hobo without a working loo don't you think?

Regardless, getting an apt assumes he could even FIND a decent studio apt $400+ rental box that's not located in culturally enriched and diverse hoods like the Tenderloin. Just like this lucky fellow....:smiles:

Although this gig looks a lot more promising. I'm tempted to buy stock in this company tbh

He's not living in the box, just sleeping in it.

You have to be capable of supporting yourself in Iowa. I have carried plenty of clients that live in a tiny studio apartments here in Atlanta or in California or new York for work and fly home to Kentucky, Ohio, back to Atlanta, or somewhere similar where their families live. Find a job that pays comparably in a Podunk town, city, or state, with a nightlife, and access to a decent airport, I guarantee you can't.
You have got to be joking me. If the homeless are worried about nightlife and being next to a "decent" airport then no one can help them. I guess you are saying these homeless are too hip and cool to live in a Podunk town. Believe it or not these Podunk states have large cities with airports.They also have plenty of jobs for hard working people that pay enough to keep a roof over their heads.Did I lose you when I said "hard working people?"
I lived in Atlanta for four years(84 to 88) and kept a roof over my head with no issue. I have lived in Ohio,roof over head. Alabama,roof over head. Florida,roof over head. Call me Mr Podunk. Mr Podunk that lives on Podunk Street with a Podunk job,Podunk food and a Podunk attitude.

You have got to be joking me. If the homeless are worried about nightlife and being next to a "decent" airport then no one can help them. I guess you are saying these homeless are to hip and cool to live in a Podunk town. Believe it or not these podunk states have large cities with airports.They also have plenty of jobs for hard working people that pay enough to keep a roof over their heads.Did I lose you when I said "hard working people?"
I lived in Atlanta for four years(84 to 88) and kept a roof over my head with no issue. I have lived in Ohio,roof over head. Alabama,roof over head. Florida,roof over head. Call me Mr Podunk. Mr Podunk that lives on Podunk Street with a Podunk job,Podunk food and a Podunk attitude.
Cool Mr. Podunk, I'm from a Podunk town, and I'd rather strike out in Atlanta, DC, Miami, or other major city in the South or east coast then live in that Podunk town, with Podunk people, where it cost nothing to live, but there's no real money to make or opportunity up be had unless you work online or are rich already.

Cool Mr. Podunk, I'm from a Podunk town, and I'd rather strike out in Atlanta, DC, Miami, or other major city in the South or east coast then live in that Podunk town, with Podunk people, where it cost nothing to live, but there's no real money to make or opportunity up be had unless you work online or are rich already.
Go for it. Your choice. The fellow in this article is making his choice. The problem is a portion of people want to blame his condition on rideshare or the government. He is the only one that can decide his future. It's his choice.

Go for it. Your choice. The fellow in this article is making his choice. The problem is a portion of people want to blame his condition on rideshare or the government. He is the only one that can decide his future. It's his choice.
Very true, I don't respect the complaints after the fact of the decision being made, I don't blame rideshare platforms either, it's his life, he chooses to live it that way.

141 - 160 of 165 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.