Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

"He don't be educated."

2K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Car Sick 
#1 ·
Listening to some of these passenger conversations is painful.

#14 · (Edited)
As they say, you cant tell a book by the cover.
No, you can't.

But you can often make accurate assessments about someone's region of origin, social status and education by how they speak.

When my German ancestors arrived in the US in the 1880s they forbade the speaking of German in the home. They knew how critical it was for their children to speak the English language without a German accent.

#9 ·
Funny...

I’ve found that once the army beat the eubonics out of my fellow cadets and once we were all speaking the same proper Christian-summer-camp-ese that we were able to better communicate and it fostered a sense of comradery and teamwork.

In addition to eubonics they also beat out the hillbilly/red neck and White trash-ese aw well

.once everyone was speaking proper English and I was channeling my inner “proper English” we did a far better job communicating.

Not just talking... communicating.

And for the record I lost track of how many times that bastard made me drop and give him 20 for saying ain’t.

#23 ·
Is that a fact? Were you here in the 1880s? Were your parents? Even your grandparents? How do you know what they did? Facts get distorted over time if they aren't documented and nobody documents their day to day lives

Historically nearly ALL first generation immigrants spoke their native languages in their home though most did learn English.
It's never a bad idea to know more than one language.

#25 ·
I doubt the course description referred to it as "white folks" English.

This is the story that's been handed down in my family. I have no way to independently corroborate it and I have no reason to doubt it. As far as I know, all the stories handed down in my family are accurate. For instance, I know that my great-great German grandfather crafted medical tools and made a nice living doing that. He was able to buy his family a nice home in a respectable part of St. Louis.

My mother's parents came over from Austria and Czechoslovakia in the early 1920s. All three of their children spoke English. My mother knew a little bit of Czech, but not much. She certainly wasn't fluent. English was the family language.
My ancestors on both sides of the family came from the Czechoslovakia area of the Austro-Hungarian Empire in the late 1800's and very early 1900's (1889-1903) everyone born here was brought up speaking English and not German. None of my grandparents could speak German or understand German at all, only English. None of them ever recall hearing their parents speak German.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.