HB100 awaiting governors signature

yamafx4dude

Theres room for Lyft to work with. Even if lyft matches Ubers rates, Lyft allows tipping through the app. Even if lyft pays less, those tips could bring in more money than uber.

I drove for lyft for 2 years before moving here to Houston last August and making the switch to uber. Even when lyft and uber were jockeying for lowest price it was still good money driving for lyft. The built in tipping option easily added 15 to 20 percent to my daily earnings, even driving a bunch of college kids around. Plus, lyft has a bonus program where you can earn 10 or 20 percent of your weekly earnings by working when they need you on the road most. That money comes from their cut of the fares. I don't know if they actually care more about drivers being able to make money, but it seems that way to me. I will definitely make the switch back if they start up again here in Houston.

tripAces

Ah the dream comes true for Houston.

Lower rates in the future do to competition. And Travis' motto that I love rings so loudly now. "A Uber on every street corner".:eek:

Also remember if you like your vehicles stay from under my 18 tires.:biggrin:

Fuzzyelvis

I think one of the biggest issues will be that there won't be any car inspections or any limits on how old the vehicle can be. That will be up to Uber. So expect them to lower that as much as they think they can and still get riders, and even adding a couple of years onto what's accepted will increase the number of drivers considerably. Many people who have thought about doing Uber but weren't willing to buy a newer car to do it will now be able to sign up.

UsedToBeAPartner

Why would you or anyone else care about inspections or limits? You are not a cab driver, you are just a guy, looking at a girl, willing to give her a ride (OK, bad movie comparison). Uber, Lyft, GetMe, Fare, Fasten, Wings, whatever...... You just have to pick your player(s) and hope for the best.
I like the new regulations but it may not be to my benefit. That's the oxymoron that I have to deal with. I believe that in the long run (short term is going to be ugly) this will be a good thing. YMMV. Hopefully, I will not have to drive again for a few months as my work has called and I am leaving Houston tomorrow!

Caplan121

So please correct me if I am wrong but since this bill passed you no longer need to go and get permitted by the city or get an airport sticker?

Fuzzyelvis

So please correct me if I am wrong but since this bill passed you no longer need to go and get permitted by the city or get an airport sticker?
Airports will decide what to do. They can still require fees, and since they do have rules for taxis, presumably can require some signage for TNC. Taxis can't do whatever they want.

Also, it hasn't been signed yet, so as of now nothing has changed.

itsablackmarket

Also, it hasn't been signed yet, so as of now nothing has changed.
True, but..

IMG_3602.PNG

UsedToBeAPartner

No, you will still need a HAS sticker to pick up at Houston airports. This allows them to collect the pickup fees and verify that you have the proper insurance.

Uber&bbq

Hopefully this will take effect prior to July so I don't have to pay for a new TNC license. Coming up on two years.

timberstx

This link is all I could find on this House Bill. So for anyone that is planning on paying the rendition tax. I would point out to your tax collector this HB100 Section 2402.003. (2). (A). Clearly it says Local municipalities cannot tax you or your vehicle.

Sec. 2402.003. CONTROLLING AUTHORITY. (a) Notwithstanding
any other provision of law, and except as provided by Subsections
(b) and (c), the regulation of transportation network companies,
drivers logged in to a digital network, and vehicles used to provide
digitally prearranged rides:
(1) is an exclusive power and function of this state;
and
(2) may not be regulated by a municipality or other
local entity, including by:
(A) imposing a tax;

ftp://ftp.legis.state.tx.us/bills/85R/billtext/html/house_bills/HB00100_HB00199/HB00100S.htm

Last edited:

yamafx4dude

So i've been talking to people and esp riders today and everyone is clueless about the idea of lyft coming back to Houston. They have no idea. Its going to take a lot to get people off ubers teet.

Cou-ber

Why would you or anyone else care about inspections or limits? You are not a cab driver, you are just a guy, looking at a girl, willing to give her a ride (OK, bad movie comparison). Uber, Lyft, GetMe, Fare, Fasten, Wings, whatever...... You just have to pick your player(s) and hope for the best.
I like the new regulations but it may not be to my benefit. That's the oxymoron that I have to deal with. I believe that in the long run (short term is going to be ugly) this will be a good thing. YMMV. Hopefully, I will not have to drive again for a few months as my work has called and I am leaving Houston tomorrow!
Paradox, not oxymoron.

Caplan121

This link is all I could find on this House Bill. So for anyone that is planning on paying the rendition tax. I would point out to your tax collector this HB100 Section 2402.003. (2). (A). Clearly it says Local municipalities cannot tax you or your vehicle.

Sec. 2402.003. CONTROLLING AUTHORITY. (a) Notwithstanding
any other provision of law, and except as provided by Subsections
(b) and (c), the regulation of transportation network companies,
drivers logged in to a digital network, and vehicles used to provide
digitally prearranged rides:
(1) is an exclusive power and function of this state;
and
(2) may not be regulated by a municipality or other
local entity, including by:
(A) imposing a tax;

ftp://ftp.legis.state.tx.us/bills/85R/billtext/html/house_bills/HB00100_HB00199/HB00100S.htm

This section also states that city's can no longer require additional permits to operate EXCEPT for airports and cruise terminals. Means those ara goons can no longer bother like they did today at hobby

Caplan121

Only if you want to do airport pickups. They were out at the departures area this morning checking drivers