HB 100 is now sitting on Greg's desk. #AllHailUber!

Recoup

The terrible thing is this: They spent $8.1 million in Austin and couldn't buy the city... but IIRC they only spent around $2 million to buy the Texas Lege.

tcc83

Uber/lyft pay sucks. But I would rather make minimum wage with lyft than $0 per hour with one of the locals. I really do hope I am wrong and will encourage everybody to keep using fare. Won't turn on the uber app until I have been sitting dead with the other apps on for quite a while.

In the end, it's up to the customers. If they all want their shady uber then there will be drivers to meet the demand. Drivers protest and complain all over the word but it never makes a difference.

OldButAble

I have been telling my riders for several weeks to not use Uber when they return. I ask them to tell me one positive news item they have heard about Uber since they pulled out of austin. There is a decent chance that one of the current rideshare will survive. That battle will be won or lost in the first 6 weeks after Uber returns.

Regardless of sign-up bonus money I will not work for Uber or Lyft for that 6 weeks. Drivers could slam the door on Uber in Austin by doing the same.

Let politicians sell out, but drivers could choose say no and it would pay off down the line.

I tell my riders that Uber is coming back but if they request an Uber they can expect to wait and wait.

Just setting the table for war on Uber by asking riders now to stick with the current ride share companies when the time comes to choose.

A high % of my riders say they will. I say thanks in advance for refusing to support evil. Yes, I actually say that and believe it. Uber is an evil and corrupt company. Austin is unique, and blocking Uber would certainly help keep Austin weird.

iansltx

FYI, Lyft has Google ads up with a $150 bonus after 25 rides in 14 days offer. Not a crazy bonus amount, but given that I haven't seen similar stuff from Uber, my guess is Lyft will hit the market harder first See:

https://www.lyft.com/drive-with-lyft?utm_source=google&v=city-aus-2&ref=150R25D14

My guess is that the companies are going to go for a quick scale-up and then drop driver promos pretty quickly, mainly because it'll be summertime so the market will be soft anyway. At which point I'd expect heavy pax promos to keep drivers busy.

I've got enough rides on Lyft (and probably Uber) that I should be apprised of those promos when they happen, at which point I'll post 'em on here to give y'all a heads-up of what you're up against.

tcc83

Lyft confirmed that I have until July 2nd to get 150 rides for $350 bonus. Hopefully everybody sticks with the locals and I can keep doing what I'm currently doing. If not, at least I have a short term back up.

Long term is more iffy. It's going to be dead after a while and the rates are going to be low. Despite all the young people I don't see Austin as a good ridesharing city. Too many short rides in a compact city.

iansltx

Lyft confirmed that I have until July 2nd to get 150 rides for $350 bonus. Hopefully everybody sticks with the locals and I can keep doing what I'm currently doing. If not, at least I have a short term back up.

Long term is more iffy. It's going to be dead after a while and the rates are going to be low. Despite all the young people I don't see Austin as a good ridesharing city. Too many short rides in a compact city.

Longer-term, changes by CapMetro may play into the rideshare side of things a bit. Certain areas are losing bus service entirely, with "Mobility Innovation Zones" or some such taking their place. Which sounds like a bunch of low-fee rides, but given the subsidy routes in those areas were running at, and the fact that some of them are outlying (where I'm currently at included), Austin may do something similar to the partnership Centennial, CO has with Lyft, where rides to the nearest major transit stop are heavily subsidized or free. That may not be a ton of volume, nor a long drive, but it's something.

another bob

Ultimately if drivers were organized enough, we could make it very difficult for uber to come back by refusing to drive for them in mass... but we are not organized at all, and uber's model of preying on desperate people will likely be just as effective as always. They know there are enough desperate people who NEED a couple hundred dollars ASAP that they don't have the luxury of holding out for a longer term benefit. Just look at their offering immediate payouts...

Because they are so confident in their ability to get plenty of desperate folks to drive, they have skewed their entire business model toward the rider side of the equation.
I will hold out on going back to uber for as long as I can, but I fear they will have a stranglehold on the market in no time.

In the end, we can all recognize how low the morals/values/ethics of the company are, but passengers truly don't care... 95%+ of passengers using this service are only concerned with price, assuming the ride comes in a reasonable amount of time... and those desperate drivers will be there to make sure the wait times are short...

I just hope by some miracle that I am wrong...

TNCMinWage

Ultimately if drivers were organized enough, we could make it very difficult for uber to come back by refusing to drive for them in mass... but we are not organized at all, and uber's model of preying on desperate people will likely be just as effective as always. They know there are enough desperate people who NEED a couple hundred dollars ASAP that they don't have the luxury of holding out for a longer term benefit. Just look at their offering immediate payouts...

Because they are so confident in their ability to get plenty of desperate folks to drive, they have skewed their entire business model toward the rider side of the equation.
I will hold out on going back to uber for as long as I can, but I fear they will have a stranglehold on the market in no time.

In the end, we can all recognize how low the morals/values/ethics of the company are, but passengers truly don't care... 95%+ of passengers using this service are only concerned with price, assuming the ride comes in a reasonable amount of time... and those desperate drivers will be there to make sure the wait times are short...

I just hope by some miracle that I am wrong...
I agree with you on all fronts

itsablackmarket

Society is held hostage by money, money will be what determines the outcome. If Uber/Lyft are short on drivers, they'll throw money at it. If they're short on passengers, same thing, give them free rides. Next thing you know, everyone will start liking them again. That's what happens. After all, we are animals with survival instincts built in, and part of those instincts is a coping mechanism in the brain. If you're trained to be weak, like the vast majority of society, you'll justify everything that's personally good for you at that moment, regardless of morality.

RobWMont

Uber app looks to be active in Austin again now Friday May 19th 2:00pm. Just signed in and looks like its active.

El Gato

Uber app looks to be active in Austin again now Friday May 19th 2:00pm. Just signed in and looks like its active.
no it is not. If you are looking at the driver app, nothing has changed since they left as you can still accept rides outside city limits so that interface has not changed at all. In the pax app it also looks the same except for the fact that when you try and request a ride in the CoA you get a notification that Uber is no longer available, and that still has not changed.

AusDriver

"Meanwhile, Uber sent an email to drivers Thursday telling them it "will be returning to Austin in the next few weeks."

"We have spent that time learning from our mistakes and working hard to improve the Uber experience to serve you better," the email said."

--AUSTIN BUSINESS JOURNAL, 05.19.2017

wilsonz83

Society is held hostage by money, money will be what determines the outcome. If Uber/Lyft are short on drivers, they'll throw money at it. If they're short on passengers, same thing, give them free rides. Next thing you know, everyone will start liking them again. That's what happens. After all, we are animals with survival instincts built in, and part of those instincts is a coping mechanism in the brain. If you're trained to be weak, like the vast majority of society, you'll justify everything that's personally good for you at that moment, regardless of morality.
Easy, they can throw some hourly guarantees then most of driver will stick with it. I remember last October in dallas guarantee was up to $50/hour for minimum 2 rides per hour. 6-7 hours daily with guarantee, u can make $1800 easily doing minimum fare runs.