1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Have you received any interesting tips?

Discussion in 'Tips' started by totallynotalion, Aug 30, 2016.

1. totallynotalion

totallynotalion New Member

I mean aside from cash.

One pax told me he was sorry that he didn't have any cash to tip me but gave me his card (he ran a little jet ski rental place). He said to give him a call the day before and we could go out jet skiing for a while. A few days later I called him up, after riding with him for a while we went back, he hopped on his own jet ski and we went out for a lot longer than I was expecting. Easily one of the best "tips" i've ever received!

2. ANGRY UBER MAN

ANGRY UBER MAN Active Member

I hate it when they don't have cash and feel bad. I had one crazy woman that made me drive to two atms to get no money out because her cards were declined. Then she insisted to meet up with me the next day to give me a free lunch. I kept refusing but she would not stop. In fear of her going mega crazy I gave her my real number. Then the next day you guessed right I heard nothing.

3. JamieP

JamieP New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Not exactly a tip but I had a guy give me $20 to let him smoke in my car

4. totallynotalion

totallynotalion New Member

That's interesting, are you a smoker? Smoke smell in a car seems to be an instant 1* for a lot of pax.

5. JamieP

JamieP New Member

Driving:
    UberX

I am but don't smoke in my car... Gave that up when I had my son :) I always get out in between trips to smoke but if someone wants to give me $ to let them smoke I have air freshener spray

6. DrivingStPete

DrivingStPete Well-Known Member

I've let someone smoke in my car for less. $20 for a cigarette is a good deal.

7. UberBeemer

UberBeemer Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    For the "Sorry, I have no cash" crowd, I have a Square Register account and keep the reader device in the console. It helps for business travelers who need to expense things and are reluctant to use cash.
    www.squareup.com

Bpr2, vdubbeet, Talha123 and 6 others like this.
  8. UberBeemer

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    The most interesting thing was after picking up a mom and her three grown kids from a restaurant, she was crying and promptly took off her ring, and threw it at the front window proclaiming, "that's your tip! It's worth $2,500.00!"
    Unfortunately, her son in the front seat caught it. :)

9. UberBeemer

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Drove a girl to Lindy's from Island Lake. She looked like Drew Barrymore dressed Like ElVira. Black lipstick, alabaster skin, blonde hair. Great chat, and she tipped $10 cash, "on behalf of myself and in spite of all the cheap Mother F ers". Last night drove four kids from LITH to Carpentersville after they were bounced from a B-Dub's for complaining about cold wings. A cop told them they better call an uber or a taxi.
    They asked to stop at 7-11, and came out with a 1.7 liter bottle of water and a 20 for me. Nice kids.

Julescase likes this.
  10. valor

valor Active Member

I picked up a couple from an Italian restaurant and got a bottle of pasta sauce as a gift. Very sweet of them.

Sometimes my Lyft passengers will offer to get me something if I wait while they grab something from a store. Usually I ask for mint gum or a soda.

Talha123 likes this.
  11. HazardousDescent

HazardousDescent Member

Mostly food:
    Pizza, Donuts, McDonald's...
    I tell them the money to buy it is fine, but some people would rather tip food.

12. JamieP

JamieP New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I had someone tonight buy me a whopper and give me $15 on top :)

13. ptuberx

ptuberx Active Member

I got a pax from Texas that decided to tip with cash and a new bottle of Fireball, lol.

Last trip last night was $40 cash so a girl could LEAVE a shared hotel room and take her home (stalker actually appeared outside thinking that a skinny light pole would hide him).

Weirdest tip I ever got was from a rich gal who was arguing back and forth with her hubby about leaving a tip. He was for it, she was against it. Earlier in the trip, she dropped her purse on the floor. After dropping them off with what she insisted to be "no tip, Uber doesn't let you tip" to her husband, I found a tube of lipstick and $22 hiding nearby where she fumbled her purse. And she claimed she didn't carry cash lol.

Julescase, VegasR and Jt UberXL like this.
  14. Firstime

Firstime Active Member

I had one guy tell me a story of how he tipped a girl $50 around Christmas time. Then he proceeded to ask me if I had change for $20. When I told him no,he said oh too bad because I was gonna tip you. The heck dude? That thing is he was a priorUber driver himself . SMH!!!

15. UberBeemer

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Firstime, I think that's as often a decoy statement as it is true. The card reader separates the wheat from the chaff real fast. No cash? Ok, here I can run your credit card or debit card.

Julescase, Bpr2 and Talha123 like this.
  16. ptuberx

ptuberx Active Member

Carry $100 in odd change with you. When they ask for change, read their body language when they say what they have. Changing a $50 bill can lead from a $5 tip to a $10 tip based on how you approach it.

Julescase, Firstime and SuperMike like this.
  17. Firstime

Firstime Active Member

For me it was more like saying, "she was worth $50, but you're not worth $20." He is probably so arrogant and unaware that he is oblivious to how it came off.

18. DocT

DocT Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    "I don't have any cash.. but I have mints to give you.." o_O

Talha123 likes this.
  19. UberBeemer

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I don't know if I want to have that much cash on me when I drive. I keep change for a 20 usually, mostly singles, but that's about it.

Talha123 likes this.
  20. ptuberx

ptuberx Active Member

I thought the same, but I have had a few differ instances now where I got "teased" by riders who had either presented a $50 or $100 note in front of me, they said "this is all I have, do you have change?" I didn't, so I got no tip. I started carrying more cash on me than just some fives and singles, and a few times now I have cashed out some $50's for $5 and $10 tips. Catch them off guard when you pull out a wad and say "oh sure I can make change for that" and you can see the "oh crap, my gimmicks didn't work"-look on some of their faces.