Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Have you ever gotten a one cent tip?

Tips 
7K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  RobLinn 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Yes st pats day 2018 two guys one Russian girlfriend guy kept bragging about being from prominent family and his gf from prominent Russian family and all the expensive watches he bought in Vegas . the drop off on market no way to get to other side of street
One cent tip
I hope he got something .?

#6 · (Edited)
The 1c tip is reserved for incredibly awful service as a giant FU to a tipped employee.

It's worse than not tipping, it's taking the time to give exactly 1c.
An insult is only effective if the targeted person feels insulted. When I was given a one cent tip, I couldn't give a flying duck. On the contrary, if all non-tippers had tipped me one cent, I would have earned an extra $100 over my rideshare career. Who's going to say no to an extra 100 bucks?

Leaving a one cent tip would be more insulting in services where tipping is customary instead of the exception, such as restaurant servers. The lack of tipping in rideshare, though, is just one of the many misconceptions pax have about the service.

The only time I got marginally annoyed is when a bag used to contain female hygiene products got into the car for a 5 minute ride. He immediately piped up, asking about tipping. He said, "I guess tips are an important part of your income?". I replied that it was nice to receive them. He then went on to ask about other aspects of driver pay.

5 minutes later he got out and, of course, no tip. If they're not going to tip that's fine; it's expected, but making a song and dance asking about it and then giving no tip earned him a preemptive 1*.

#23 ·
Premium??!! Hahahaha

I got a $.05 tip from a guy who promised a $5 tip if I would take him thru a Bojangles drive thru less than a mile from his apartment.

The next two times I recieved requests from him, I stopped at the entrance of his parking lot, forcing him to walk 50 yards. Both times, I cancelled and drove off as he was arriving.
That's the problem!! I think the guy really was trying to tip you the $5 he promised but the app got the decimal point in the wrong place. That's my theory anyway and I'm sticking to it.

#20 ·
When I get tipped just $1 on the app it almost feels like an insult.

Almost. Then you realize they at least took the time, and who knows, maybe that was a lot for them at the time.

It's just that $1 doesn't buy much anymore. When I was a kid I could get 10 hamburgers for a buck at the local burger shack.

#21 ·
Love the extra bucks, including $1.00. It adds up.

Do not expect any tips whatsoever; so, when they do come in - great!

40 - 50%, of rides, now tip. And that's cool. All in the app, the way it's supposed to be. But, never, ever expect it.

Still telling customers it's optional only.

#27 ·
Did a delivery once for someone who lived on a "no parking anytime" block and got mad when I wouldn't leave my car idling in the red zone with my hazard lights on to deliver the order. ??

When she came to get the order we exchanged unpleasant words and a few "FU"s and even SHE left a .10 tip. ?

A penny tip though? Brutal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.