Hauled Guy with Mulch and Stones Around, Helped Him Unload>>All For $6 and NO TIP!!!

warrior lady

Picked up a Rider, Uber XL at Home Depot in Dc. He did call and warned me he had some mulch to haul. I didn't think it would be such a hassle. 12 bags of mulch, few plants, and 8-10 heavy stepping flatstones (I didn't help with those). I thought maybe he woudl tip me since I helped him unload, plus the fact that I had to put two middle seats completley into the floor ( have a minvan with stow- &-go seats), which takes a lot of manuevering around plus about 10-15 minutes just to put it up and then down. Then had to sweep/vacuum out some mulch particles and dust, not enough to charge a cleaning fee though.- I was so so pissed!! Never again will I accept a hauling job unless they agree to a tip amount for me!!!

UberMetalPunk

Picked up a Rider, Uber XL at Home Depot in Dc. He did call and warned me he had some mulch to haul. I didn't think it would be such a hassle. 12 bags of mulch, few plants, and 8-10 heavy stepping flatstones (I didn't help with those). I thought maybe he woudl tip me since I helped him unload, plus the fact that I had to put two middle seats completley into the floor ( have a minvan with stow- &-go seats), which takes a lot of manuevering around plus about 10-15 minutes just to put it up and then down. Then had to sweep/vacuum out some mulch particles and dust, not enough to charge a cleaning fee though.- I was so so pissed!! Never again will I accept a hauling job unless they agree to a tip amount for me!!!
I would have said no flat out. That is not what uber is meant for.

You should email the customer service for THAT trip and...well probably immediately ask to elevate it then explain the situation and see if they'll reimburse you somehow.

Ubermanpt

I've had people call me about putting a bike in the back which I appreciated and it wasn't a big deal, but I wouldn't do this ^]%]*]£. That's being taken advantage of. Chalk it up to a learning experience (we all have them) and don't do again.

warrior lady

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I contacted Uber on the app under that trip. I explained the situation under : rider has more than 4 persons. I will let you know if they can assess any "hauling fees" for this. I will let you know if anything comes of this.

BubbaD2

This site is run by a bunch of neo-facists. For no reason anyone can make sense of, they will not tolerate any public discussion regarding how they discipline posts or members, or how these little fascists and prudes run this site.

Last edited:

t5contra

No extras, seriously, my days of going out of my way are over. When I was fresh on the platform (before surges or incentives) someone called me immediately after requesting me asking if I would be ok with jump starting their car. I said sure. When I got there the girl told me 5 drivers canceled on here (go figure) so we tried to jump it but her battery was too dead, then I drove these people 6 blocks and all that for $5.45. Now it's no kids without child seats, no dogs (service or not), no one below 4.65, no pool and no late hours. I lock the doors at 5:00, cancel at 5:01. The point that I am trying to make is that 95% of people won't appreciate any extras you've done for them because a person of decency would t dream of throwing a bunch of mulch in another persons car. Going out of your way just to hope you get the 5% that will "reward" you for your trouble is foolish and a waste of time

Last edited by a moderator:

warrior lady

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Uber responsded that they need photos of the damgage before they can access the cleaning charge. I didnt take any picturess. There were only a few loose mulch chips and strands of dry grass. I should have faked the scene to get a good cleaning fee.

kbrown

Uber responsded that they need photos of the damgage before they can access the cleaning charge. I didnt take any picturess. There were only a few loose mulch chips and strands of dry grass. I should have faked the scene to get a good cleaning fee.
Go to Hone Depot tomorrow and get mulch and grass. Throw it on the car floor and take pics.

UberMetalPunk

Wait a few weeks then go to his house at 3am with a 2 gallon pump spray bottle of round up and leave him a note in his front yard
Bwwaaaaahhh haaaahaaaaahaaaa!!!

Don't worry about the cleaning, they won't reimburse you without pics most likely. The important issue is being called on as a landscaping truck/pickup truck/dump truck....just ask them to "escalate it to a manager" then ask if any charges can be made for hauling all of that stuff.

UberSaur

No extras, seriously, my days of going out of my way are over. When I was fresh on the platform (before surges or incentives) someone called me immediately after requesting me asking if I would be ok with jump starting their car. I said sure. When I got there the girl told me 5 drivers canceled on here (go figure) so we tried to jump it but her battery was too dead, then I drove these people 6 blocks and all that for $5.45. Now it's no kids without child seats, no dogs (service or not), no one below 4.65, no pool and no late hours. I lock the doors at 5:00, cancel at 5:01. The point that I am trying to make is that 95% of people won't appreciate any extras you've done for them because a person of decency would t dream of throwing a bunch of mulch in another persons car. Going out of your way just to hope you get the 5% that will "reward" you for your trouble is foolish and a waste of time
No good deed goes unpunished..

rv5

no kids without child seats, no dogs (service or not), no one below 4.65, no pool and no late hours. I lock the doors at 5:00, cancel at 5:01.
a person of decency would't dream of throwing a bunch of mulch in another persons car.
you put mulch in your car and want a cleaning fee? lol. i side with uber on this one... i won't put luggage in my car if it is slightly dirty (dog hair or dirt on rolling wheels). you choose who and what goes in your car.
no cleaning fee for you. lesson learned... hopefully.
read the quote i condensed above, over and over, until it sinks into your brain.

Another Uber Driver

I thought maybe he woudl tip me since I helped him unload, plus the fact that I had to put two middle seats completley into the floor

Never again will I accept a hauling job unless they agree to a tip amount for me!!!
Lesson learned; good. Never assume that people who demand extra service will tip. They are demanding it from you because they know that they would have to pay quite a bit more if they were to contract for the service from someone who actually is in business to provide that service. They are using you as a discount provider. This means that they are cheap. Cheap people do not tip. DIPSO FACTO, QED: Y'ain't gonna' get no tip outta' no
day-umned cheapskate. I learned this very quickly in the cab business.

At times, once you refuse to provide a service outside of that which you normally provide, you will get these people who will tell you what a wonderful tip you just blew. Those people are telling you a story. They never intended to tip you in the first place. Every once in a while, you do run across someone who understands that you should pay extra for extra service, but those are few. Those are the people who are smart enough to shove the money into your hand up front.

Do be careful of soliciting a tip. As it is now so easy to complain, these cheapskates will complain to Uber that you solicited a tip or demanded cash. That will earn you a quick de-activation. Let them propose the tip and shove it into your hand before you open a door or lift a finger. If they say nothing, decline to start the trip, drive off and let them cancel. If they offer the tip, wait for them to put it into your hand before you open a door or lift a finger. If it does not happen, get back into the car, drive off and let them cancel.

Wait a few weeks then go to his house at 3am with a 2 gallon pump spray bottle of round up and leave him a note in his front yard
We used to use kerosene and a paint brush for that; effective.

John Highway

I would never accept pings from home improvement stores, big box stores, grocery stores, etc.
I picked up a woman from a grocery store and helped her with her groceries. It was a short trip, she gave me 5-stars, a nice comment and a $5.00 tip.

Groceries, I don't mind -- but I would not have done the Home Depot thing. I would just have canceled and tell the person to rent a truck from Home Depot.