Hating on immigrants for our low compensation

Status
Not open for further replies.

HonkyTonk

Several posters have blamed recent immigrants for driving down our U/L wages. I say this:

True, immigrants lower wages for low-skill jobs (Sorry to tell ya, but U/L are the grandaddies of low-skilled jobs).

Yes, it is true: the immigrants who've flooded U/L do drive down our pay.
No, we can never stop this, because immigrants have always flooded to the USA.

So quit whining. Either take immigrant wages, or do something that actually requires skills!

Uber's Guber

Yes, it is true: the immigrants who've flooded U/L do drive down our pay.No, we can never stop this, because immigrants have always flooded to the USA.
Actually, the flooding has stopped. Mexico has partnered with Trump to turn immigrants around, and those captured in the US are no longer “released” into to United States but are sent back. Meanwhile, several hundred miles of wall has already been built already despite the stonewalling by Democrats.
#MAGA :thumbup:

Aneed Momoney

Several posters have blamed recent immigrants for driving down our U/L wages. I say this:

True, immigrants lower wages for low-skill jobs (Sorry to tell ya, but U/L are the grandaddies of low-skilled jobs).

So quit whining. Either take immigrant wages, or do something that actually requires skills!
they're not legal.
They're traspassers. different from people who get their papers the right way. Not the crooks and criminals who border jump. Dump that is california is like that cuz of illegals.

GreatWhiteHope

ya know what,

that’s the truth 👏

waldowainthrop

they're not legal.
They're traspassers. different from people who get their papers the right way. Not the crooks and criminals who border jump. Dump that is california is like that cuz of illegals.
Wait.

Aren’t the immigrants that Uber and Lyft drivers complain about generally legal immigrants? Do undocumented workers generally even drive Uber and Lyft?

I know there are many immigrants driving for these companies as I’ve talked to people from all over the world who are driving here, but they were generally coming from places that are difficult to travel here and stay against immigration law. There could be a complete end to illegal immigration and Uber and Lyft would still be heavily influenced by the availability of non-citizens in many markets.

Are people jumping walls and avoiding ICE actually driving rideshare in any significant numbers? Is it even possible to pass a background check without a current visa?

Facts only, please.

Wildgoose

I am a legally immigrant ( not through Asylum nor Refugee status). My skills is higher than average American but can't get a Manager position or higher position due to my lack of English speaking, I don't understand slang words. Immigrants are driving Uber and Lyft, not because of their low skill, it is because of their English burden. Every legal immigrant has legal document to work in US. We also have same tax cut and not getting special treatment on health care either.
But I don't like illegal immigrant who came into USA illegally and getting healthcare free. Also I don't like legal immigrants who are abusing government's systems of caring ( showing their status as low incomes, getting housings, foods stamp and free healthcare without working or only one of their family member is working, making low income themselves. ) They are using everybody hardworking taxes and enjoying free things while hardworking people can't enjoy. I found many American also make themselves as low income (don't want to work on worries of losing their free money) and enjoying foods stamp, free healthcare, etc.
>>>>
So who should we hate? To immigrant who are working as Lyft/Uber drivers and paying taxes, not enjoying government free program OR to those who are enjoying your tax dollar through Government free program?

waldowainthrop

I am a legally immigrant ( not through Asylum nor Refugee status). My skills is higher than average American but can't get a Manager position or higher position due to my lack of English speaking, I don't understand slang words. Immigrants are driving Uber and Lyft, not because of their low skill, it is because of their English burden. Every legal immigrant has legal document to work in US. We also have same tax cut and not getting special treatment on health care either.
But I don't like illegal immigrant who came into USA illegally and getting healthcare free. Also I don't like legal immigrants who are abusing government's systems of caring ( showing their status as low incomes, getting housings, foods stamp and free healthcare without working or only one of their family member is working, making low income themselves. ) They are using everybody hardworking taxes and enjoying free things while hardworking people can't enjoy. I found many American also make themselves as low income (don't want to work on worries of losing their free money) and enjoying foods stamp, free healthcare, etc.
>>>>
So who should we hate? To immigrant who are working as Lyft/Uber drivers and paying taxes, not enjoying government free program OR to those who are enjoying your tax dollar through Government free program?
I dunno. I love immigrants because they have made our economy strong. My dad is an immigrant so I find it hard to criticize people who come from abroad, particularly if they use legal channels. I don’t hate anyone.

DriverMark

>>>>
Well said. And I think we need more immigrants. Nearly every fast food and restaurant I visit have "Help Wanted" signs. Not that that is where all immigrants should work. But it just shows me that people who want to start over with a better life, there are plenty of jobs here for them. I just want people to contribute. And not be pure takers. Could care less where they come from or why they came here as long as they want to be productive.

Wildgoose

I dunno. I love immigrants because they have made our economy strong. My dad is an immigrant so I find it hard to criticize people who come from abroad, particularly if they use legal channels. I don’t hate anyone.
There are many types of Legal immigrant. Illegal immigrants could become legal immigrants through getting legal asylum status. System is broke. Whoever came into US with visit visa or business visa, they can later stay over their visa stays and can file asylum status. They get work authorization permit and they can work temporary ( 2 years ) providing themselves financial needs. They can not rely on government free program. Also immigrant through Legal channel, ( through family chains or diversity lottery visa ) can not rely on government free program.
But, Refugees, who came into US through Legal refugee channel, government brought them in and giving free cares, making them lazy, relying on program. They have legal documents to work but they don't want to because they don't want to lose their free money eligibility program. Low income, free housing, foods stamp, etc. Some of the refugees are real refugees but some are not. They went joining to UN refugees camp in order to get opportunity of getting into third world countries like (USA, Germany, Norway, UK, Canada). Some are real opportunity seekers to get into USA, lazy people. They came into US and sucking up our hardworking tax. I am a hardworking person never seek an opportunity with a lie. So I don't like them indeed.

Last edited:

Ssgcraig

U/L could make the hiring process more like a job:

Finger print, resume an actual interview, piss test etc.

Cold Fusion

Entry level ground transportation has been the Purview
of immigrants for 6+ Decades

They are the ones that should be pissed at the Uber “entitled fancy-pant driver crowd” for
infringing on their territory and being the catalyst for Rolling-Back Fares to cir 1970 levels.

Only party that benefits is the End User Pax

Last edited:

waldowainthrop

Entry level ground transportation has been the Purview
of immigrants for 6+ Decades

They are the ones that should be pissed at the Uber “entitled driver crowd” for
infringing on their territory while Rolling-Back Fares to cir 1970 levels.
Yeah, this is absolutely true. Immigrants have been driving private transportation for decades longer than Uber or Lyft existed. If anything it’s shocking that non-naturalized citizens who drive for Uber or Lyft would complain about immigrants driving people around for money, since typically the immigrants (both individually and as a class) have typically had the job longer.

losiglow

I don't mind immigrants, as long as they don't get after me for taking money from them because Uber is their livelihood and I'm taking business from them just for side dough. This is a capitalist free-market country. Get used to it.

homelesswarlock

You guys forget that it is the corporations that sets the wages.
When meat packing plants were bought out in Iowa 20 years ago by agro giants, the wage fell from $15 per hour down to $6. When white workers quit, these corporations went down to Mexico and actively recruited migrant workers. The deal was: find a way into Iowa and you’ll have a job waiting for you.

waldowainthrop

You guys forget that it is the corporations that sets the wages.
When meat packing plants were bought out in Iowa 20 years ago by agro giants, the wage fell from $15 per hour down to $6. When white workers quit, these corporations went down to Mexico and actively recruited migrant workers. The deal was: find a way to Iowa and you’ll have a job waiting for you.
I think the cause-effect thing might have gone the other way. They realized they could drop the wages because migrant workers were willing to work for lower pay. I don’t think they set the wages and then got in touch with migrant workers as an afterthought. The migrant workers were already here picking strawberries and washing dishes. Of course some people packed up and came to the US because of the jobs, but the companies lowering the wages already knew who would be working for the lowest wage.

waldowainthrop

I think you are too wrapped up in "immigrant".
Simply put, there are a lot of "people" driving and this depresses wages.

No need to politicize driving. Enough politics already.
Everything is political.

But you are correct that the over-saturation would probably be happening regardless of immigration policy. The gig economy is popular. Lots of people are flooding it right now. It’s never been easier to drive strangers around for money. Plenty of US-born citizens at the Uber Greenlight Hub in Colorado, that’s for sure.

homelesswarlock

I think the cause-effect thing might have gone the other way. They realized they could drop the wages because migrant workers were willing to work for lower pay. I don’t think they set the wages and then got in touch with migrant workers as an afterthought. The migrant workers were already here picking strawberries and washing dishes. Of course some people packed up and came to the US because of the jobs, but the companies lowering the wages already knew who would be working for the lowest wage.
The lowest wages were paid to illegals. For the price of 1 white worker, a company can pay for 3 illegals. The money that corporations saved, went directly into expansion and buyouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.