Has anyone used partner people?

john5950

hi,

i'm looking to sign up for uber, I have a camry hybrid. although i need to get insurance before i do.
so to become an uber driver you need an ABN and you need to register for GST and do your bas and tax etc
but i read somewhere that partner people removes the need to register for ABN and deals with all the tax stuff.

now has anyone used them, and what is your experience with them?

wasabi

There are quite a few old and semi-recent threads about PP. Use the Sesrch function and have a read. There are several forum members who use them.

SydneyUber Chick

hi,

i'm looking to sign up for uber, I have a camry hybrid. although i need to get insurance before i do.
so to become an uber driver you need an ABN and you need to register for GST and do your bas and tax etc
but i read somewhere that partner people removes the need to register for ABN and deals with all the tax stuff.

now has anyone used them, and what is your experience with them?
I looked into it and decided that for me the cost wasnt worth the benefit. For those that struggle with keeping their own records or would just rather not bother with it then it might be suitable. You need to look at the costs and decide whether its worth it to you personally. You might also want to consider waiting until the CTP changes for rideshare drivers are announced before investing in becoming and Uber driver as the added costs may affect the financial viability. Also if that Camry hybrid is an ex-taxi it wont be approved.

john5950

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
so is it a big deal to do your own gst and bas? do you do it your self or do you pay an accountant?
and no my camry is not an ex taxi, its a personal vehicle

There are quite a few old and semi-recent threads about PP. Use the Sesrch function and have a read. There are several forum members who use them.
yeh but in each post about PP there is like 1 person who uses them and the rest are there to bash the service or just rant about something else, i just wanted to see if there is any new people that recently signed up and what do they think about it? is it way better than doing your own gst and bas etc

SydneyUber Chick

so is it a big deal to do your own gst and bas? do you do it your self or do you pay an accountant?
and no my camry is not an ex taxi, its a personal vehicle

yeh but in each post about PP there is like 1 person who uses them and the rest are there to bash the service or just rant about something else, i just wanted to see if there is any new people that recently signed up and what do they think about it? is it way better than doing your own gst and bas etc
I used an accountant for my first one at a cost of $150 (had purchased a new car and wanted to make sure I got all the GST credits right - ended up getting a GST refund :wink:. I'm not sure if as an "employee" of PP you'd get the same level of deductions). I'll probably do future ones myself. It's not a big deal to do it yourself, but not everyone is comfortable with numbers or following the how tos online. Even if I paid the accountant to do all 4 it would be cheaper than PP but there are people who struggle with keeping aside the tax themselves and spend both what they need to pay in GST and income tax so for them its definitely useful to pay a service that does that for you so they know that what they get each week is actually theirs to spend.

john5950

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I used an accountant for my first one at a cost of $150 (had purchased a new car and wanted to make sure I got all the GST credits right - ended up getting a GST refund :wink:. I'm not sure if as an "employee" of PP you'd get the same level of deductions). I'll probably do future ones myself. It's not a big deal to do it yourself, but not everyone is comfortable with numbers or following the how tos online. Even if I paid the accountant to do all 4 it would be cheaper than PP but there are people who struggle with keeping aside the tax themselves and spend both what they need to pay in GST and income tax so for them its definitely useful to pay a service that does that for you so they know that what they get each week is actually theirs to spend.
ok but 150, pp only charges 8 for under $500 or 12 for $1000 income a week, and 15 for over $1000 income,
so 15 a week for 12 weeks thats 180, if you take out your money once a month than its 45 dollars which is cheaper, but if you want to get paid every week than an accountant is way cheaper and more suited, and also PP charges 50 cent per each receipt but its a flat fee with an accountant i guess

but you said you can get the fee of an accountant refunded? well that is the winning bit i guess, does the accountant process this at the time of tax refunds?

SydneyUber Chick

ok but 150, pp only charges 8 for under $500 or 12 for $1000 income a week, and 15 for over $1000 income,
so 15 a week for 12 weeks thats 180, if you take out your money once a month than its 45 dollars which is cheaper, but if you want to get paid every week than an accountant is way cheaper and more suited, and also PP charges 50 cent per each receipt but its a flat fee with an accountant i guess

but you said you can get the fee of an accountant refunded? well that is the winning bit i guess, does the accountant process this at the time of tax refunds?
the weekly fee is not the only thing PP charges. They also charge you to use a fuel card ($4 a week or something) and then for every receipt you submit its another 50c or so. It all adds up. When I did my sums it was going to cost a little over $5000 a year to use PP and would have saved me $3000 in tax. For me that $2000 deficit wasnt worth it (plus I had issues with their misleading marketing ploys) but for others it is. Like I said you need to sit down and look at YOUR circumstances and the way YOU would use it and determine whether or not its right for you. It may be wrong for me and right for you or it may be right for someone else and wrong for you. Only YOU can work that out.

And I never said that you can get an accountants fee refunded. Accounting fees are a tax deduction that is applied to the income tax return at the end of the tax period just like the fees you pay PP are an income tax deduction. GST credits are different and are applied each quarter when you do your BAS. I got a GST refund because I had paid more GST on rideshare related expenses (like the purchase of my car) than I had collected from fares as a rideshare driver. That had nothing to do with accountants fees. I just used an accountant to simplify that process and make sure I got the maximum

Last edited:

Avenig

When I find started Uber I had all the intention to do the bas myself but can't figure out how to fill out the form on the website so ended up using an accountant.

Now I am only part time I go through partner people. I don't have the time to stuff around giving the account what they want to complete the bas. Although I do miss out on claims things I use to be able to claim when I had an ABN like home internet.