Has anyone had to drive near, around, through (i.e. deal with) the protests or riots going on right now?

Fusion_LUser

We got caught in one in LA a couple of years ago. I was stuck behind car #2 because they panicked and slowed down when there was still time to avoid the protesters running out and lining up. They then started moving towards the cars while others came from the side to block more and harass those inside their cars. I remained calm but told my wife if we get attacked in any way I'm plowing the field of protesters.

Fortunately the front line got confused and spread out so the car in front of me took off and I didn't hesitate to go while the protesters re-grouped. Car #3 behind me had a protest sign thrown at it as it passed. Car #4 didn't make it and was vandalized along with other cars that were stuck with the protesters.

Big Lou

I've lived through the original Watts riots and had 50 caliber machine gun in my face by the National Guard because we were dumb enough to go see the riots in my 1948 Yellow Dodge convertible with flowers painted on the sides wearing surfer shirts (big strips). Now we just call it the "great fire of '65"
I was in the Crenshaw area (known as the jungle) when the Rodney King riot started and had to be back early in the morning to inspect the damage to the Utilities while the building still burning. K-town had some damage but not like other parts. That was creepy.
What's happening today is docile compared to other riots. Looting is nothing new and we'll see it again when people get outraged.
Lets just hope for justice for the Floyd family.

Wolfgang Faust

I was driving my 1979 Porsche 911sc in SFO when the Rodney King riots started in L. A.

Didn't have a clue, was listening to Nine Inch Nails, real loud.... turned a corner and saw a bunch of black folk blocking the street. Slammed on brakes, as they were mumbling hostile noises approaching my car, I put it in first and slammed the throttle.

They separated. Only one small scratch on car.

Two other incidents, both times on business trips, rental with LDW...

L.A.-Near downtown, in December 1995 ore so...took wrong turn, street people placed pallets and a flaming 50gallon drum in my path. Sped up and ran through it.

Chicago, early 1990s...wrong turn around Comisky in new Black Cadillac. Stop signs became suggestions. One dunce rolled over hood, roof and trunk.
Didn't look back.

Last edited:

Fusion_LUser

Kind of hard to forget this.

I'm just running over anybody who gets in my way in such a situation.
On A&E there a documentary called L.A. Burning: The Riots 25 Years Later that I just watched and it was pretty interesting see the aftermath that continues on to this day.

I was living in San Francisco watching the riots live when it all happened and once again seeing the same thing going on today in Minneapolis.

Wolfgang Faust

On A&E there a documentary called L.A. Burning: The Riots 25 Years Later that I just watched and it was pretty interesting see the aftermath that continues on to this day.

I was living in San Francisco watching the riots live when it all happened and once again seeing the same thing going on today in Minneapolis.
Almost 30 years later, nothing changed.