Harassment by Taxi Drivers

mrgeminian

I have faced today harassment from cab drivers as I was In gawler place ( towards north terrace) and turning my vehicle back towards north terrace. There is a taxi and loading zones mixed on one side and other side all taxi zone, so I was just stopped for a while and looked at loading zones timings, it was till 10:00 am and time was 12.15 pm so I was turning my vehicle back to north terrace and then a cab driver came and taking my cars pics and videos and asking why did you park here. I said I did not park, I was just taking turn back but he was a bit harsh and asked me " I would forward this to transport department" I replied" false statements never work, mate! " I was polite. But he remained harsh and other cab drivers also rushed to the place. That driver then said to me " F**** off" then I replied in the same way " you F**** off". Other driver came and said " you @@@@". Meanwhile I had taken a turn then I just leftvsilently that place. Is this behavior is right by cab drivers to a Uber driver just for taking turn from a taxi/ loading zone?

Who is John Galt?

I have faced today harassment from cab drivers as I was In gawler place ( towards north terrace) and turning my vehicle back towards north terrace. There is a taxi and loading zones mixed on one side and other side all taxi zone, so I was just stopped for a while and looked at loading zones timings, it was till 10:00 am and time was 12.15 pm so I was turning my vehicle back to north terrace and then a cab driver came and taking my cars pics and videos and asking why did you park here. I said I did not park, I was just taking turn back but he was a bit harsh and asked me " I would forward this to transport department" I replied" false statements never work, mate! " I was polite. But he remained harsh and other cab drivers also rushed to the place. That driver then said to me " F**** off" then I replied in the same way " you F**** off". Other driver came and said " you ****". Meanwhile I had taken a turn then I just leftvsilently that place. Is this behavior is right by cab drivers to a Uber driver just for taking turn from a taxi/ loading zone?

PM sent.

prk

Its not right, but it happens a fair bit. Ive been told a fair few times in no uncertain words by cabbies. they can get quite fired up.
Not all cabbies, but the newer, subcontinental ones in particular. (just my observation)
Having said that, Ive noticed they have no hesitation breaking road rules themselves lol

KenBruceHasGoneMad

I have faced today harassment from cab drivers as I was In gawler place ( towards north terrace) and turning my vehicle back towards north terrace. There is a taxi and loading zones mixed on one side and other side all taxi zone, so I was just stopped for a while and looked at loading zones timings, it was till 10:00 am and time was 12.15 pm so I was turning my vehicle back to north terrace and then a cab driver came and taking my cars pics and videos and asking why did you park here. I said I did not park, I was just taking turn back but he was a bit harsh and asked me " I would forward this to transport department" I replied" false statements never work, mate! " I was polite. But he remained harsh and other cab drivers also rushed to the place. That driver then said to me " F**** off" then I replied in the same way " you F**** off". Other driver came and said " you ****". Meanwhile I had taken a turn then I just leftvsilently that place. Is this behavior is right by cab drivers to a Uber driver just for taking turn from a taxi/ loading zone?
Lol.
It was a tad worse for uberITALY drivers.

PM sent.
As in any industry; those who aren't legally qualified and take profit and bread+water from a legitimately positioned competitor are gonna get harassed.

Its only fair and highly warranted.

I think.

NHDriver

You need to take the battle to them. There is place U/L sit on weekend nites off Main St where I live. Pretty much just a RideShare crew. There are 8 bars in walking distance from this lot which is a Dunkin Donuts lot. A few cabbies have weaseled their way into the lot. We just mind our business. A few of the Cabby's have started to get verbally aggressive a few times. One by one you can hear the pings go off in the U/L vehicles and the drivers depart for their pick up. Two weekends ago that really upset two cabbies that were in the lot rideless for over two hours which is a long time on weekend nite. My ping came, cabby made a rude comment, I smiled said, "what you still here? no rides tonite?" left. After my ride ended (8mi trip) i returned to the lot. Same cabby's. I pulled right in next to the most vocal one and asked "You still here? No rides tonight?" He got very upset dropping F bombs all over the place. During his rant, I got another ping and almost immediately after I did two other U/L almost seconds apart. As I was leaving, I said. "Do me a favor while you rethink your career path, can you keep this spot open for me, be back after MY fare. I appreciate the favor" Cabby threw his Dunkin Donuts coffee at my car. I returned again, they will still there. Went in to Dunkin Donuts bought the cabby a coffee and said, I can obviously afford to buy you the coffee you dropped when I was leaving. Cabby took my coffee and threw at my car again and left. I yelled,, oh BTW... got both coffee tosses on dash cam. Hope you got a back up plan. Haven't seen that particular cabby since.

Don't take crap from these guys.

Where to Mister?

As in any industry; those who aren't legally qualified and take profit and bread+water from a legitimately positioned competitor are gonna get harassed.
And those who harass and bully a legally qualified competitor going about their legitimate business should be held to account.

I think.

mrgeminian

Lol.
It was a tad worse for uberITALY drivers.

I think.
I am an accrdited ex cab driver and always drive legally dear.

And those who harass and bully a legally qualified competitor going about their legitimate business should be held to account.

I think.
Yes they shoukd ve strictly dealt

mrgeminian

The PTB live for issues like this. You do not accept harassment while working legally.
https://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/contact_us/compliments_and_complaints

Yes i did. It was important to inform them about cabbies behaviour. So I did. First step towards betterment.

Secondly, today transport compliance called me on phone and I retold them the whole story. They would regulate the msg to the cab drivers in gawler street so but they said do note down the cab numbers next time who misbehaves. They said " cab drivers are on fire and it is not fair".

imacie

I've been swerved at by cab drivers twice in the airport in the last week. I am going to start recording my airport trips on a camera to protect myself. I would assume this has happened to several other drivers, we need to start collecting evidence to present to someone and get this behaviour stomped out.

everythingsuber

I've been swerved at by cab drivers twice in the airport in the last week. I am going to start recording my airport trips on a camera to protect myself. I would assume this has happened to several other drivers, we need to start collecting evidence to present to someone and get this behaviour stomped out.

A camera is never a bad idea. That makes it easy for the compliance officers to prosecute drivers. The PTB has the same power as the police and are quite happy to remove licences from people who should not have them.

mrgeminian

Really it is a good idea to use camera. Secondly whatever happened, do report to transport department as there are many complaints are in pipelines from Uber drivers. So do tell them what cab drivers are trying to do and act like law enforcement agencies or may need police uniforms for them.

everythingsuber

Really it is a good idea to use camera. Secondly whatever happened, do report to transport department as there are many complaints are in pipelines from Uber drivers. So do tell them what cab drivers are trying to do and act like law enforcement agencies or may need police uniforms for them.

It's not so much acting like policemen it's stopping themselves looking like idiots in the eyes of the public. Uber hasn't effected day drivers earnings. Night drivers earnings wouldn't be effected if it wasn't for Cab drivers working Uber part time. Taxi plate owners are getting 30 ks for each plate compensation with legal action for further compensation on the way.
Meanwhile we can all play nicely and stay out of the media.

Mrs Frear

It's not so much acting like policemen it's stopping themselves looking like idiots in the eyes of the public. Uber hasn't effected day drivers earnings. Night drivers earnings wouldn't be effected if it wasn't for Cab drivers working Uber part time. Taxi plate owners are getting 30 ks for each plate compensation with legal action for further compensation on the way.
Meanwhile we can all play nicely and stay out of the media.

I am intrigued why you believe day drivers earnings have not been affected by Uber.

everythingsuber

I am intrigued why you believe day drivers earnings have not been affected by Uber.

I'm always happy to post my earnings. If you have been around for a while you will notice they are consistent.

IMG_1049.JPG

Last edited:

everythingsuber

Ok things you take into account. The government before Uber came along was planning on putting 20 new taxi plates up for tender both this year and last year. So that's 40 taxi plates that didn't happen. They would have hurt more than Uber. Uber is very limited in the work it can actually do. Uber is relying on the app. 80% of taxi work is rank and hail. Then there's account work DVA, hospitals Cabcharge accounts etc. The dear little old ladies going shopping. Cash bookings.

Uber is a particular demographic that will use the app is happy to trust their card details to the app.

AIT can tell you that a year ago for every car in our fleet they did 11.5 bookings of the computer. At present it is about 10.5 ( I'm told) but that is with an very large increase cars in the AIT fleet from cabs that have left 13cabs.

Now there has been a decrease in pick up work totals and I think that is the Uber demographic on a Friday and Saturday night. That's the work the night drivers are missing out on. Also perhaps lack of nightlife in Adelaide at present. Although the past few weeks Friday Saturday nights have been very good.
Also 13Limo needs to be taken into account with their effects on general cab work as well.

Really need to see government figures across the board to get compete figures but I don't lose sleep over Uber nor does any decent driver I know. Those who say their earnings are crap now were probably earning crap before.

Mrs Frear

I think the app is the same as what you refer to as rank and hail work, just more convenient for the passenger.
  • Shall I stand on the side of the road, wait for a cab to drive by, and put my hand in the air. Or stay at my desk, click on the app, and be alerted when my chariot has arrived?
  • Shall I walk to the closet rank, or ask the Uber driver to come to me?
I am taking a lot of older ladies shopping, almost all of them have tech savvy grandchildren.

Is all of the income going to Uber drives new income, or did some of it previously go to cab drivers?