• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Happy Uber Driver!

SenorFenix

Greetings, fellow drivers!

I've been driving for Uber since November 2014 and am totally happy! I started driving part-time but went full-time in March 2015.

I guess I've been lucky so far because the majority of the time, I've had good to great experiences with my riders! I have had two or three bad to horrible (a drunk puked in my car at 3am this morning and have had riders light up joints to open beer cans!!) but I guess that's true in all of life. Overall, I wish I'd had started driving for Uber from the time it came to Los Angeles! It provides a GREAT income and to me, being out and about (yes, even in LA traffic!) is just awesome!!

The only complaint I actually do have is that it is very frustrating that you can only communicate with Uber via email and that it is obvious that whoever handles the Partner communications isn't in sync with the actual operations side! I've a couple of Pool riders who've not wanted me to accept 2nd rider requests so my acceptance percentage has dropped. I immediately contacted the Partner support people and explained the situations and they assured me they'd make sure my acceptance percentage wouldn't drop yet, a few days later I received automatic texts from Uber warning me that if my acceptance percentage didn't improve, I wouldn't be able to get Pool fares! I really don't like the Pool program but I do need every penny I can earn so, I partake in the program.

I am a bit concerned about Uber's almost desperate recruiting drive. I know there's enough business here in LA (especially once we Xers can pick up at LAX!) for everyone but, unfortunately, I've started to hear about more and more bad experiences from riders with their trips. I guess not everyone is suited to be a ride-share driver?! I would really hate to see the Uber experience drop to the taxi level!

Also, I recently tried to lease a car through the Uber leasing program only to have dealerships tell me that that program had been cancelled months before! On the other hand, Uber's "Rewards" programs are great ways to save Partners money! The 20% cell phone discount is awesome as is their gasoline card! The "catch" is that you have to complete 200 trips per month but when you drive full-time, that gas card is a life saver and you can compete 200 trips in two or three weeks!

Another thing that is a bit taxing is the new rider-share auto insurance requirement. As a result of this requirement, my personal auto insurance cost went from $1100 a year for TWO vehicles to just shy of $4000. Ouch!!! Unfortunately, it's now a cost of business so, I've no choice but to pay! I am hoping that once we can pick up at LAX, the additional trips will help mitigate the new expense?! Also, it seems that only Farmers and a company called Metromile, offer ride-share endorsement so, your pretty much just forced to pay up!!

Well, I guess that's all I have for now! In closing, my advice to any and all fellow Uber drivers or those considering being a ride-share driver, is that you need to understand that this job is about picking up, interacting, and transporting complete strangers. That means that you need to be able to handle not only peoples' idiocyncracies, but also traffic, and the elements! In short, you need to be a "people person" and a cool "cat"!! If you aren't willing or unable to wait for someone to run into a supermarket or liquor store, if you can't ignore snob jerks talk and treat you as if you're "the help", or if you are prone to road rage, this is not for you! Be true to yourself! Don't look at only the potential income! Consider that you will be placed in uncomfortable and straight up extremely stressful situations and that you will be obligated to keep a smile through it all! So, if you think you can handle it: WELCOME ABOARD!!!

RainbowPlate

And Mormonism is great for Mormons. But for the 99% of people who think, "This is crazy..." I guess we're just all wrong, defective and deserving of your pity.

Tx rides

Greetings, fellow drivers!

I've been driving for Uber since November 2014 and am totally happy! I started driving part-time but went full-time in March 2015.

I guess I've been lucky so far because the majority of the time, I've had good to great experiences with my riders! I have had two or three bad to horrible (a drunk puked in my car at 3am this morning and have had riders light up joints to open beer cans!!) but I guess that's true in all of life. Overall, I wish I'd had started driving for Uber from the time it came to Los Angeles! It provides a GREAT income and to me, being out and about (yes, even in LA traffic!) is just awesome!!

The only complaint I actually do have is that it is very frustrating that you can only communicate with Uber via email and that it is obvious that whoever handles the Partner communications isn't in sync with the actual operations side! I've a couple of Pool riders who've not wanted me to accept 2nd rider requests so my acceptance percentage has dropped. I immediately contacted the Partner support people and explained the situations and they assured me they'd make sure my acceptance percentage wouldn't drop yet, a few days later I received automatic texts from Uber warning me that if my acceptance percentage didn't improve, I wouldn't be able to get Pool fares! I really don't like the Pool program but I do need every penny I can earn so, I partake in the program.

I am a bit concerned about Uber's almost desperate recruiting drive. I know there's enough business here in LA (especially once we Xers can pick up at LAX!) for everyone but, unfortunately, I've started to hear about more and more bad experiences from riders with their trips. I guess not everyone is suited to be a ride-share driver?! I would really hate to see the Uber experience drop to the taxi level!

Also, I recently tried to lease a car through the Uber leasing program only to have dealerships tell me that that program had been cancelled months before! On the other hand, Uber's "Rewards" programs are great ways to save Partners money! The 20% cell phone discount is awesome as is their gasoline card! The "catch" is that you have to complete 200 trips per month but when you drive full-time, that gas card is a life saver and you can compete 200 trips in two or three weeks!

Another thing that is a bit taxing is the new rider-share auto insurance requirement. As a result of this requirement, my personal auto insurance cost went from $1100 a year for TWO vehicles to just shy of $4000. Ouch!!! Unfortunately, it's now a cost of business so, I've no choice but to pay! I am hoping that once we can pick up at LAX, the additional trips will help mitigate the new expense?! Also, it seems that only Farmers and a company called Metromile, offer ride-share endorsement so, your pretty much just forced to pay up!!

Well, I guess that's all I have for now! In closing, my advice to any and all fellow Uber drivers or those considering being a ride-share driver, is that you need to understand that this job is about picking up, interacting, and transporting complete strangers. That means that you need to be able to handle not only peoples' idiocyncracies, but also traffic, and the elements! In short, you need to be a "people person" and a cool "cat"!! If you aren't willing or unable to wait for someone to run into a supermarket or liquor store, if you can't ignore snob jerks talk and treat you as if you're "the help", or if you are prone to road rage, this is not for you! Be true to yourself! Don't look at only the potential income! Consider that you will be placed in uncomfortable and straight up extremely stressful situations and that you will be obligated to keep a smile through it all! So, if you think you can handle it: WELCOME ABOARD!!!
You definitely have the right attitude to be a hired driver, and you seem to have your eyes wide open to see risks and trade offs. Kudos!!! I hope it does continue to work for you. I know it is not working well for so many.

SenorFenix

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You definitely have the right attitude to be a hired driver, and you seem to have your eyes wide open to see risks and trade offs. Kudos!!! I hope it does continue to work for you. I know it is not working well for so many.
I am so sorry "it" isn't working well for so many. Unfortunately, that is not a reflection on Uber. That is just a reflection on people who have no business running their own business. These people need to find a job and clock in and out! There's no shame in that!

Tx rides

I am so sorry "it" isn't working well for so many. Unfortunately, that is not a reflection on Uber. That is just a reflection on people who have no business running their own business. These people need to find a job and clock in and out! There's no shame in that!
Well to be fair, every market is different. Austin, for example, does not have near the taxi/black car dependency you see in NYC, LA, etc.
Uber's 'one size fits all' approach has been problematic.

MiddleClassedOut

If you're not leasing with unlimited miles, don't forget that you will be forced to buy a new car years earlier than you otherwise would have, so subtract the cost of a new car from your future earnings to get the real picture.

In my opinion, this should not be full-time work ever. The math does not compute at full-time given depreciation.