Had to take nine facemask selfies during my shift yesterday

Nats121

Approximately 75% of my "timeouts" required a facemask selfie for me to go back online, and I was delivering food, not people.

Most of the time when I decline three requests in a row (occasionally they'll time me out for as little as two or even one declined request) Uber will time me out.

This has all the stench of yet another Uber scheme to take away what meager "independence" Uber's alleged independent contractor drivers have.

Uber already harasses drivers who decline "too many" requests with their asinine "timeouts". They can use any "safety" pretext they want, but this shouldn't be allowed to continue.

If this was a one-day thing, it's probably a trial-balloon by Uber. If this continues, drivers will need to take action and contact the media and the govt. There's no jusification for this.

Last edited:

tohunt4me

Approximately 75% of my "timeouts" required a facemask selfie for me to go back online, and I was delivering food, not people.

Most of the time, when I decline three requests in a row (occasionally they'll time me out for as little as two or even one declined request), Uber will time me out..

This has all the stench of yet another Uber scheme to take away what meager "independence" Uber's alleged independent contractor drivers have.

Uber already harasses drivers who decline "too many" requests with their asinine "timeouts". Requiring drivers to take selfies multiple times during a shift shouldn't be allowed. They can use any "safety" pretext they want, but this shouldn't be allowed to continue.

If this was a one-day thing, it's probably a trial-balloon by Uber to see if they can get away with it. If this continues, drivers will need to take action and contact the media and the govt. There's no jusification for this.
RIDICULOUS !

Taxi2Uber

Most of the time when I decline three requests in a row (occasionally they'll time me out for as little as two or even one declined request) Uber will time me out.

Uber already harasses drivers who decline "too many" requests with their asinine "timeouts". They can use any "safety" pretext they want, but this shouldn't be allowed to continue.

If this was a one-day thing, it's probably a trial-balloon by Uber. If this continues, drivers will need to take action and contact the media and the govt. There's no jusification for this.
Yet....you still drive.

If this continues, drivers will need to take action and contact the media and the govt.
LOL. You forgot to add "Strike!", "Union!", and "I'm going to sue"
Action needed to fix your driver issue: Don't drive.

SinTaxERROR

This is not about Uber caring for your safety or your passenger safety.

This is about Uber protecting itself from lawsuits. When Uber gets sued by a pax claiming they got CV19 from a driver, Uber will produce the masked selfie to show the court that the driver was wearing the mask.

Just take unemployment if you can... why deal with such bullshit and chance of infection if you do not have to.

MasterC

The new thing is - resend photo of drivers license.
After 3 years my Drivers License disappeared.

Uber wanted a copy.

'Sent them like 4 pictures before they accepted it.

Out of focus (@@@@@ I used a scanner and saved as jpeg)
Too Dark (WTF....ahole)
Could not see edge of license ( What now?)

So they are playing games.

I'm not driving till they (UBER) send me masks etc.

tohunt4me

Nats121

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is not about Uber caring for your safety or your passenger safety.

This is about Uber protecting itself from lawsuits. When Uber gets sued by a pax claiming they got CV19 from a driver, Uber will produce the masked selfie to show the court that the driver was wearing the mask.

Just take unemployment if you can... why deal with such bullshit and chance of infection if you do not have to.
It had nothing to do with lawsuits or safety.

I was doing Eats deliveries, not driving pax.

There was nothing stopping me from taking off my facemask after every selfie since I wasn't transporting pax.

The only times I was required to take selfies was after timeouts, so in all likelihood I could have gone the entire shift without taking any selfies if I had maintained a high enough acceptance rate to avoid any timeouts.

Last edited:

_Tron_

The new thing is - resend photo of drivers license.
After 3 years my Drivers License disappeared.

Uber wanted a copy.

'Sent them like 4 pictures before they accepted it.

Out of focus (@@@@@ I used a scanner and saved as jpeg)
Too Dark (WTF....ahole)
Could not see edge of license ( What now?)

So they are playing games.

I'm not driving till they (UBER) send me masks etc.
I had that happen too. Conjecture: Uber is tuning their face recognition algo to map just the area of the face not covered by the mask. To support that goal they are making sure they have quality DL photos.

Proof of concept: Has anyone getting prompted for mask photos also gotten prompted for maskless photos? If not, Uber is going for masked face recognition.

The good: I support the idea of Uber not getting sued into oblivion for spreading C19. I'd like to see the service continue. Not a big deal to wear a mask. Annoying to be prompted for a selfie, but not a deal breaker.

The Bad: They are enforcing for deliveries too because a) no one has taken the time to program the app to discern the difference, and b) if they don't they will get sued for the driver coughing C19 all over the recipient's pizza. (Yes it does have to do with litigation)

DANGER WILL ROBINSON: When the app fails to recognize the driver because they -I don't know, plucked their eyebrows- there is no Green Light Hub anymore to run to and beg to be reactivated.

Last edited:

M62

Forcing drivers to take selfies that take a second or two. Not a big deal.
Post automatically merged:

There are things we could criticize them for. Getting people to wear masks isn't one. Food delivery still brings the driver in potential contact with others. Plus, some drivers could switch to pax while online.

Last edited:

_Tron_

Forcing people to take selfies. Uber is worse than the Nazis and the KGB combined lol.

Seriously though. There are things we could criticize them for. Getting people to wear masks isn't one. Food delivery still brings the driver in potential contact with others. Plus, some drivers could switch to pax while online.
As annoying as selfies are I have to wonder if those that complain about them here have thought it through. Selfies protect the driver as well as Uber. You don't want someone hacking/cloning your account and driving on your dime... raping, murdering, pillaging, and generally making a nuisance of themselves... on your dime.

Or do you?