Had to give a driver three stars...

WMUber

Well, I had to give a diver three stars today...

First, he failed at navigation. The guy had no clue how to look at his GPS and plan ahead. When coming to pick me up, I was on the north-east corner of the street. He had just passed me when he got the ping and was headed south of the intersection. Instead of simply going around the block, he did two u-turns to get from south west of me to my location on the north east corner. I ignored this stupidity, but when the "Fastest" route was 6.25 miles longer than the "Shortest" route, it's time to pass on the tip, knock him down a star, and email for a fare adjustment.

Second, he drove like a taxi driver in a hurry to get to his next fare. I have no issue with aggressive driving, but you need to know your vehicle. In a Toyota Corolla, all a passenger does is bounce around in the back seat. I am six feet tall and hit my head on the roof multiple times.

Third, he had no idea how noisy a Corolla is at 70+ mph. It's bad enough a passenger feels every bump, but to drive with the windows down and the sun roof open, it is deafening. I had to shout to have a conversation. It is obvious that the driver had no clue on how to accommodate passenger comfort. Between #2 and #3, he lost another star.

Finally, I had to call bullshit on one of his statements. He claimed to be working full time and going to school (online) for his Master's. He said that he still manages to give 120 rides in a week. He said it only takes him 30 to 35 hours to give 120 rides. Let's face it, in Los Angeles if all your rides are under 5 miles, it still takes about 45 hours to give 120 rides.

volksie

First, he failed at navigation. The guy had no clue how to look at his GPS and plan ahead. When coming to pick me up, I was on the north-east corner of the street. He had just passed me when he got the ping and was headed south of the intersection. Instead of simply going around the block, he did two u-turns to get from south west of me to my location on the north east corner. I ignored this stupidity, but when the "Fastest" route was 6.25 miles longer than the "Shortest" route, it's time to pass on the tip, knock him down a star, and email for a fare adjustment.

Second, he drove like a taxi driver in a hurry to get to his next fare. I have no issue with aggressive driving, but you need to know your vehicle. In a Toyota Corolla, all a passenger does is bounce around in the back seat. I am six feet tall and hit my head on the roof multiple times.

Third, he had no idea how noisy a Corolla is at 70+ mph. It's bad enough a passenger feels every bump, but to drive with the windows down and the sun roof open, it is deafening. I had to shout to have a conversation. It is obvious that the driver had no clue on how to accommodate passenger comfort. Between #2 and #3, he lost another star.

Finally, I had to call bullshit on one of his statements. He claimed to be working full time and going to school (online) for his Master's. He said that he still manages to give 120 rides in a week. He said it only takes him 30 to 35 hours to give 120 rides. Let's face it, in Los Angeles if all your rides are under 5 miles, it still takes about 45 hours to give 120 rides.
The GPS doesn't work at the snap of a finger & it can take up to 90 seconds to offer up directions. You said he just passed you when he got your ping as if he magically should have know it was "The All Wonderful You" who was requesting his services. Get over yourself!

WMUber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The GPS doesn't work at the snap of a finger & it can take up to 90 seconds to offer up directions. You said he just passed you when he got your ping as if he magically should have know it was "The All Wonderful You" who was requesting his services. Get over yourself!
Please read my post carefully...

If he was operating his GPS in map mode with North oriented always up, instead of turn by turn mode, he would have been able to plan better. He would have seen the entire picture and realized that turning onto Hawthorne, then Hollywood would have pulled him right up next to me. Instead he did a u-turn on Fuller and an illegal u-turn on Hollywood.

Again, in map mode he would have seen the "Faster route" was considerably longer in distance.

As a driver, except for a few areas, I always route myself that I pull up next to the passenger. Also as a driver, I show the passenger on my tablet the route Google Maps recommends. I always point out the differences between routes in mileage and time. I honestly feel that I only provide 5-star service 20% of the time. If a driver wants a 5-star rating, he needs to match my level of service.

Full disclosure. My ratings used to fluctuate between 4.90 and 4.92. They now fluctuate between 4.88 and 4.90. I attribute the drop to two reasons. 1) Since Uber started playing games with ping requests between Hourly and Metals, my attitude is less pleasant. 2) Since the stabbing in Bellflower, I stopped getting out the car to open doors for passengers.

Last edited:

WMUber

Tl;dr Safe and fast trip from point A to point B
Read my post above. I expect nothing more as a passenger than what I offer as a driver...

In the real world, not the Millennial grade inflation, participation award world; Uber ratings would average 3.5 stars. They would be based off of a balanced Likert Scale:
1 = Poor
2 = Below Average
3 = Average
4 = Above Average
5 = Excellent

In the real world, my average rating would be 4.20 not 4.88. The driver is lucky he didn't get two stars from me...

WMUber

Picky bastard!
Not really...

On Saturday, I posted about being a driver's first ride. I gave him five stars and a $5.00 tip on a $6.20 ride.

I also know that Uber screwed this guy. He was the closest driver to me on Hawthorne Blvd in Torrance; but he was past me. Even though the app said 4 minutes ETA, I knew it would be 10 minutes because of u-turns and long signals.

He felt bad about the delay and apologized. I told him I understood and it was O.K.

So you see, I am reasonable.

Benalepsy87

I totally agree with you on everything except the uturn part. During my first few months of driving, if I accepted a ping, I'd immediately switch to waze and just follow it. Which could have given me the 'round the block' route, but not always. Now I will look at the map instead and decide on whether or not using the GPS is the best decision for the pickup. Also, I'm not always going to go out of my way to be on the same side of the road as a pax. I mean, I try to, but sometimes it takes more time especially during traffic. A lot of times I'll find myself arriving at the ping and then making a 3 point turn, thus making it easier on the pax without having to go around the block or enter the street from a different direction.

I'll admit, when I first started I had no clue what I was doing and I had just moved to the LA area and just needed quick money. My rating is still 4.86 which I am fairly happy with after 500 rated trips and being extremely rusty at first.

As far as the open windows, aggressive driving, and lack of being able to use simple navigation... That's just dumb.

hbdope

I started wearing button down shirts or a blazer with a solid colored T. Instead of the usual sweatpants and t-shirt. Got all 5 stars this weekend lol. The two pool rides surging from Malibu to Hollywood gave me 5* too.

I don't offer to open the door, no gum, no candy, no water, don't offer aux, don't ask for input on directions, and say as little as possible during the ride. One girl even left me her half eaten burrito lol.

LGBNEWBIEDRIVER

Ok , I will give you the windows down and the sunroof open for this dudes rating however personally, I don't care if it's 60 degrees outside and there are icicles on my windshield my windows are up and A/C is on not just for my PAX comfort but this is Los Angeles . If you don't hear a police siren, its a distorted stereo coming out of the car next to you I would rather drive hearing my music and possibly having a conversation with a PAX. The driver should have been more courteous. The GPS does suck however, I do not care who you may use the UBER , GOOGLE , WAZE , whatever they take a minute to find themselves and if you wait to get caught up you get that " WTF LOOK" from your PAX on why we are not on the way. I had this one chick who was a Pool Pax give me a dirty look today when I diverted to pickup another pax in route to her destination and when I pressed the navigate button it took GOOGLE about 1 min to figure it out.....My point is GPS does suck but the rest he deserved. I would have asked to have the A/C flipped on windows and roof closed that is just common sense and courtesy if he complied then no problem with the five stars if he said no then.. the three would be it...

volksie

If he was operating his GPS in map mode with North oriented always up, instead of turn by turn mode, he would have been able to better plan. He would have seen the entire picture and realized that turning onto Hawthorne, then Hollywood would have pulled him right up next to me. Instead he did a u-turn on Fuller and an illegal u-turn on Hollywood.

Again, in map mode he would have seen the "Faster route" was considerably longer in distance.

As a driver, except for a few areas, I always route myself that I pull up next to the passenger. Also as a driver, I show the passenger on my tablet the route Google Maps recommends. I always point out the differences between routes in mileage and time. I honestly feel that I only provide 5-star service 20% of the time. If a driver wants a 5-star rating, he needs to match my level of service.

Full disclosure. My ratings used to fluctuate between 4.90 and 4.92. They now fluctuate between 4.88 and 4.90. I attribute the drop to two reasons. 1) Since Uber started playing games with ping requests between Hourly and Metals, my attitude is less pleasant. 2) Since the stabbing in Bellflower, I stopped getting out the car to open doors for passengers.
I totally hear what you're saying. These apps have us "Dangerously Multitasking" but, riders have little or no concept of what it takes to make a clean pick up!
It's easy to tell when another driver gets a request because their driving demeanor changes to "Dangerous Driving Mode"!

Aceman 5.0

If he was operating his GPS in map mode with North oriented always up, instead of turn by turn mode, he would have been able to plan better. He would have seen the entire picture and realized that turning onto Hawthorne, then Hollywood would have pulled him right up next to me. Instead he did a u-turn on Fuller and an illegal u-turn on Hollywood.

I agree with you on planning your pick up to be on the same side as the passenger. But lately I've been getting a bunch of pick ups were the passengers are across the street, or around the corner or the next street over and that's not the drivers fault. That's why I tell passengers to hit the arrow and verify it before submitting their request. You right though about map mode vs 3D mode on the gps, because you're just setting yourself up for inconveniences.

In regards to the windows down and sunroof open, did you ask him to put on the A/C and close the windows? Or did he ask you at the beginning of the ride if it was ok to keep them open? Because he should have asked you or you should have said that it was uncomfortable for you.

About him claiming to give 120 rides a week, who cares??? Why would you drop his rating for that? That's on him. But he might just be averaging the 120 rides because you did mention that he was in a hurry to get rid of you so he could move on to the next ride. You being the passenger should have said that you didn't feel safe driving the way that he does in his "Corolla". Which brings me to my next point, if you don't like those types of cars, then get Select or Black next time. That's what I do because I'm a tall guy and I don't like being small cars.

WMUber

You sure have high expectations for .90 a mile, being a driver you should try to help him or her.
The way he was bragging about working full time, going to online college, and giving 120+ rides a week., I realized the only way to help him is if Uber relays feedback to him. The guy admitted for awhile he drove without license plates (both front and back) to avoid photo tickets.

I have been travelling for business for over 25 years. I have had many drivers. There are two types. The first type tries to make the ride as comfortable for the passenger as possible. The second type is the one who is in a hurry to get his next fare. Even at $0.90 per mile, I personally am the former. Since that is the service I provide, that is the service I expect.

WMUber

I agree with you on planning your pick up to be on the same side as the passenger. But lately I've been getting a bunch of pick ups were the passengers are across the street, or around the corner or the next street over and that's not the drivers fault. That's why I tell passengers to hit the arrow and verify it before submitting their request. You right though about map mode vs 3D mode on the gps, because you're just setting yourself up for inconveniences.

In regards to the windows down and sunroof open, did you ask him to put on the A/C and close the windows? Or did he ask you at the beginning of the ride if it was ok to keep them open? Because he should have asked you or you should have said that it was uncomfortable for you.

About him claiming to give 120 rides a week, who cares??? Why would you drop his rating for that? That's on him. But he might just be averaging the 120 rides because you did mention that he was in a hurry to get rid of you so he could move on to the next ride. You being the passenger should have said that you didn't feel safe driving the way that he does in his "Corolla". Which brings me to my next point, if you don't like those types of cars, then get Select or Black next time. That's what I do because I'm a tall guy and I don't like being small cars.
I would use Select more often, but I feel that 75% of the cars on Select should not be on the platform. Southwest Airlines and Jet Blue have leather seats; but they are still "Coach Seats". There was another thread trashing the Chrysler 300. I would rather be in the back seat of a Chrysler 300 than a pre-2012 Lexus ES. The former is a roomy comfortable car, the latter is a Camry with leather seats. Most of the cars on Select are "Coach Seats" at "Business Class" prices.

Unfortunately with Uber, if you want a "Comfortable" ride, you need to either order an XL or SUV (or hope you get a former "Black" car on Select).

mandreyka

The way he was bragging about working full time, going to online college, and giving 120+ rides a week., I realized the only way to help him is if Uber relays feedback to him. The guy admitted for awhile he drove without license plates (both front and back) to avoid photo tickets.

I have been travelling for business for over 25 years. I have had many drivers. There are two types. The first type tries to make the ride as comfortable for the passenger as possible. The second type is the one who is in a hurry to get his next fare. Even at $0.90 per mile, I personally am the former. Since that is the service I provide, that is the service I expect.
I get it , what you got was the typical driver. Drivers that care enough to come on here to learn and share are a small percentage of what is out there.

I provide a good service also, but making a buck as quickly as possible is my main focus.

If I had one bragging and lying to me I would 1 star him as well, actually I 1 star every driver to thin the herd.

Jk on that last part but when I do get a driver who is new I do give them some pointers like head to the balboa peninsula to make good money ; )

second2noone

i like the windows open so too loud to have a conversation...

gave ride to stuck up snob bish. Roll up windows and turn on AC. I have GPS, but she tells me to turn here and there.

the 120 ride is bs...with traffic and lazy a$$ pax, should take over 40 hours easy.

melusine3

No kidding! I believe using different navigation apps will also give different routes. This person needs to get a life.

I totally agree with you on everything except the uturn part. During my first few months of driving, if I accepted a ping, I'd immediately switch to waze and just follow it. Which could have given me the 'round the block' route, but not always. Now I will look at the map instead and decide on whether or not using the GPS is the best decision for the pickup. Also, I'm not always going to go out of my way to be on the same side of the road as a pax. I mean, I try to, but sometimes it takes more time especially during traffic. A lot of times I'll find myself arriving at the ping and then making a 3 point turn, thus making it easier on the pax without having to go around the block or enter the street from a different direction.

I'll admit, when I first started I had no clue what I was doing and I had just moved to the LA area and just needed quick money. My rating is still 4.86 which I am fairly happy with after 500 rated trips and being extremely rusty at first.

As far as the open windows, aggressive driving, and lack of being able to use simple navigation... That's just dumb.
Rider may have reeked of body odor, vape odor, cigarettes...

DrivingForYou

, but when the "Fastest" route was 6.25 miles longer than the "Shortest" route, it's time to pass on the tip, knock him down a star, and email for a fare adjustment.
Which tip? Are you suggesting we take the shortest route?

WRONG.

We take the "fastest longest" route. Ever hear of upfront pricing? Your fare does not change when a driver takes the fastest route. I've had routes that were 10 miles farther and 20 minutes faster and still no recalc. Upfront pricing takes this into account.

If you're one of those drivers that tries to take the shortest route even when it is longer, you are giving bad service as well as shooting yourself in the foot by failing to maximize your profits.

Ignore the route shown in the UBER app. Take the FASTEST route, the upfront price has ALREADY accommodated that.