• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Had my first pass out.

Uberdise

Shits scary...
Pick up a girl from a bar at close. Some dude (I'm guessing her boyfriend?) yelling at her to "get her f****** ass in the car".
Almost cancelled, but he wasn't going with, so I didn't have to put up with him ($3.75 surge too).
Along the way, without warning, she shoves her phone into my face and says "can you help me, it's all frozen".
I'm like "lady, I'm driving". Not a single word from her.
17 minutes total of a trip, roll up to the house, and she is asleep.
So I say her name (ended up being wrong, her friend ended up ordering the Uber, so I didn't know her name) a few times.
Then I shout her name.
3 more times, NOTHING. I turn my radio on and BLAST it for 10 seconds straight..nothing.
Now..I'm starting to get a little freaked out.
As a list ditch effort...I start my car, pull ahead 5 feet, and slam on the breaks.
....nothing. She's breathing fine.
I had to end up calling the cops. 2 show up plus an ambulance.
Took the cops almost 10 minutes to wake her up.
Weird thing was...I think she was drugged, her speech was not slurred, and when you have a cop shining his light in your face (she was standing at this point), you don't turn your head away with a blank expression on your face and ignore them.
She ended up refusing medical treatment (so I'm guessing drugs is why).
While in the middle of police questioning her..she takes a phone call and starts rambling off "I'm FINE I'm FINE" to who was ever on the other end.
Her mom comes out of the house..and BOY IS SHE PISSED.

I've had this happen before...luckily she snapped out of it at the end of the ride.
Can alcohol do that? Make you completely "spaced out" and unresponsive?
Usually I see alcohol slur people's speech, not slow it down like your coming out of anethesia at the dentist's office.

Luckily it was my last ride for the night.

Uberdise

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So you took a completely intoxicated female single rider in your car because her boyfriend yelled at you too???

Uber Pro nomination coming your way.
She acted totally normal when she got in.
Not stumbling, slurring, etc.
Went from wide awake to sleepy time in 15 minutes.

MyJessicaLS430

Shits scary...
Pick up a girl from a bar at close. Some dude (I'm guessing her boyfriend?) yelling at her to "get her f****** ass in the car".

This is the only merit of rideshare. My car my rules. No drunks under all circumstances.

Pharmacology 101 here =)
To answer your question, let's start with some chemistry about ethanol (active ingredient in alcoholic beverages).

Alcohol detoxification in humans involves 2 detoxification enzymes - alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) and aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH)

Step 1 > Ethanol (Alcohol) is converted to Ethanal (Aldehyde) by ADH
Step 2 > Ethanal (Aldehyde) is converted to Ethanoic Acid (Alcoholic acid) by ALDH

The aim of the chemical reactions above is to dehyrogenate (removal of hydrogen) alcohol to a more oxidized form, less harmful form. However, the intermediate product of step 1 (Ethanal/Aldehyde) is highly toxic. Ethanal can disrupt membrane integrity of neurons (nerve cells) thereby slowing down or shutting down the firing of neuronal impulse (communication between nerve cells). This explains why the drunk exhibits incoordination so that they give slurred speech, cannot walk straight line and do not respond to any external stimuli.

More importantly, there is an array of ADH variants each having different capacity in the conversion of ethanol to ethanal. If an individual has a strong variant, more ethanal is formed in a shorter period of time. If ALDH cannot keep up the pace with ADH, ethanal will be accumulated since there are more ethanal than ALDH can handle.

Given that ethanal accumulation is known to cause flushing and nasuea, ADH variations can thus account for the difference in alcohol tolerance - Some vomit easier and shortly after drinking whereas others consuming the same amount of alcohol remain asymptomatic.

A bit more for ladies on this forum. The level of ADH in developing foetus is extremely low. Detoxification of alcohol therefore relies on another mechanism which is much less effective. As a result, alcohol will then remain in foetal tissues much longer incurring more damages. The mother is less susceptible to brain damage not only because of a well-developed adult detoxification system, but also the presence of blood brain barrier guarding against the intake of toxic intermediate product ethanal. The foetus? None of the above mechanisms are close to functional. You can get rid of the alcohol, not your beloved one in the womb!

Alabama Lou

She could have been on any number of things. Sounds like opiates. People on opiates talk really slow and then pass out if they did too much.

Dont let people pass out in your car unless you know for sure they have just been drinking. People that use drugs like heroin are prone
to overdoses that can stop breathing and cause death in under 20 minutes.

Drivers should be trained in the use of Narcan. Waiting for an ambulance to show up could be the difference between that passengers
life and death.

Thats why you dont let people pass out in your car unless you know for sure they are just drunk.

Uberdise

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
She could have been on any number of things. Sounds like opiates. People on opiates talk really slow and then pass out if they did too much.

Dont let people pass out in your car unless you know for sure they have just been drinking. People that use drugs like heroin are prone

Drivers should be trained in the use of Narcan. Waiting for an ambulance to show up could be the difference between that passengers
life and death.

Thats why you dont let people pass out in your car unless you know for sure they are just drunk.
Naloxone is about $70 for a dose kit here, and you can't leave it in your car, has to be kept between 59 and 77 degrees.

Also..I didn't "let her pass out". She was perfectly fine when she got in, if she was in some kind of stupor before she got in, she would not of been allowed in my car.

Nats121

This is the only merit of rideshare. My car my rules. No drunks under all circumstances.
The delayed reaction of alcohol reaching the brain can change someone from coherent to incoherent in about 10-20 minutes.

So a pax can seem a little drunk at the start of a ride and very drunk at the end.

Alabama Lou

Naloxone is about $70 for a dose kit here, and you can't leave it in your car, has to be kept between 59 and 77 degrees.

Also..I didn't "let her pass out". She was perfectly fine when she got in, if she was in some kind of stupor before she got in, she would not of been allowed in my car.
Im not accusing you of anything, but its important to recognize that opiate users will look and act completely sober and 3 minutes later be knocked out and drooling. There is no way to pre screen for dope addicts.

doyousensehumor

Shits scary...
Almost cancelled, but he wasn't going with, so I didn't have to put up with him ($3.75 surge too).
Along the way, without warning, she shoves her phone into my face and says "can you help me, it's all frozen".
So I say her name (ended up being wrong, her friend ended up ordering the Uber, so I didn't know her name) a few times.
Then I shout her name.
3 more times, NOTHING. I turn my radio on and BLAST it for 10 seconds straight..nothing.
As a list ditch effort...I start my car, pull ahead 5 feet, and slam on the breaks.
Weird thing was...I think she was drugged, her speech was not slurred, and when you have a cop shining his light in your face (she was standing at this point), you don't turn your head away with a blank expression on your face and ignore them.
While in the middle of police questioning her..she takes a phone call and starts rambling off "I'm FINE I'm FINE" to who was ever on the other end.

I've had this happen before...luckily she snapped out of it at the end of the ride.
Usually I see alcohol slur people's speech, not slow it down like your coming out of anethesia at the dentist's office.

Great, at least you kept your hands off her.

Next time on arrival, if female pax doesnt wake up with dome light and verbal communication, give up after 60 seconds, and call police.

No jamming out to music for 10 minutes and No brake checks!!

Ideally, you'd not pick up overly drunk or drugged pax, but once in a while one slips though. What I described it how you deal with it.

You guys are over analyzing this. DKDC who-what-why pax got in this situation. It sucks, but what can I do about it.

The Gift of Fish

:frown: I thought this might happen.

Anyway, unacceptable reaction to micro-surge aside, you need one of these. 10 bucks from Harbor Freight. Turn on the strobe function and point it at their eyes. No drunk has yet defeated the strobe.

Jerseyguy72

life and death.

So how do you not let someone pass out in your car?

peteyvavs

Shits scary...
Then I shout her name.
Epilate

Some rare forms of epilepsy can trigger a deep trance in an individual, good thing you called the cops because if she awoken and saw you alone she may have accused you of assault. Alcohol is wicked, especially when one has an undiagnosed medical/mental impairment.