H&r Block wants to charge me $200 to do the taxes is it fair?

LAuberX

TurboTax online home and business edition $79.99
CD is available in stores for about the same amount, but then your past years returns are not saved on the TurboTax cloud for free.

UberXTampa

TurboTax online home and business edition $79.99
CD is available in stores for about the same amount, but then your past years returns are not saved on the TurboTax cloud for free.
You meant to say "saved" and not "not saved".
I have all my taxes in turbotax since more than 10 years.
Up to 10 years are stored and accessible for free.
This is an IRS requirement per statute of limitations for financial records I would think.
No more "the dog ate my returns".

LAuberX

You meant to say "saved" and not "not saved".
I have all my taxes in turbotax since more than 10 years.
Up to 10 years are stored and accessible for free.
This is an IRS requirement per statute of limitations for financial records I would think.
No more "the dog ate my returns".

Do you use the CD version, or the online version?

I was told in a phone call with TurboTax if I use the CD I can't "auto fill" with the info that they have in the cloud for the past 3 years when I used the online version....

UberXTampa

I was told if I use the CD I can't auto fill with the info that they have in the cloud for the past 3 years when I used the online version....
I use the online version, always. I already started by importing all my unchanged info from last year and my W-2 from my employer. I will include the uber/Lyft 1099s soon and pass several times on each question before I file it.

JDavis

Sounds fair to me. I pay $1000 to mine but have two rentals. I guess it depends on how good you are at understanding tax laws and doing your taxes. You can do it yourself but I have seen people do the car deductions all wrong and if the IRS flags them for audit they will pay way more than the $200

LAuberX

I use the online version, always. I already started by importing all my unchanged info from last year and my W-2 from my employer. I will include the uber/Lyft 1099s soon and pass several times on each question before I file it.

Not Saved is correct IF you use the CD version. It is only saved on the cloud with TurboTax IF you use the online version.

sidewazzz

I was told in a phone call with TurboTax if I use the CD I can't "auto fill" with the info that they have in the cloud for the past 3 years when I used the online version....

I've done the the online version the last 4 years. almost all my info is saved, the only thing I have to enter ate my 1099 and w2 and expenses. the rest was just review to make sure everything was correct. took maybe 30 minutes to complete.

Last edited:
H&R always over charge try to find some a local person in your area that does it the charge like 60$-80$ the most

$200 for a Sched C return seems pretty fair to me. I wouldn't trust anyone who would do it for less than a hundred. Plus, you don't have to worry about checking on how reputable that local guy is.

Skinny1

From all your questions it appears you don't have a good grip on this.....tax service pros are for you. Pay the money or do whatever you wan and risk audit (which is low) you are low hanging fruit.
Good luck