H&R block or DIY

ghost08

do most of you guys find it more convenient to pay somebody or do it yourself? I'm a bit overwhelmed with the forms but I'd like to hear your input as well

ghost08

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've done my own with H&R Block software for years. Prior to that I used to do it by hand.
Do you remember how much it cost you? Like should I just check the business premium off right in the beginning? It's like a hundred fifty bucks I believe

E30addixt

Do you remember how much it cost you? Like should I just check the business premium off right in the beginning? It's like a hundred fifty bucks I believe
You can get the software for under $100 to do it yourself. I use deluxe plus state which typically goes on sale from 24-40. Premium is about double that. Premium might be easier for you and the business. Deluxe isnt as intuitive and you have to know a little more to use it effectively.

ghost08

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You can get the software for under $100 to do it yourself. I use deluxe plus state which typically goes on sale from 24-40. Premium is about double that. Premium might be easier for you and the business. Deluxe isnt as intuitive and you have to know a little more to use it effectively.

Awesome, thank you I really appreciate it

BostonTaxiDriver

This all assumes we have all of our receipts?

I had lost my gas receipts one year and the cab company in those days didn't issue receipts for our cab rental each shift. The tax preparer would not work with me without those receipts, though I foolishly thought he may. Not worth it to him if he has any integrity.

If we've somehow lost all of our receipts, or for new drivers who somehow may not have realized the importance of keeping them, I guess they simply go ahead and submit the tax forms and hope for no audit on the gas and maintenance or mileage claims?

I wonder how many Uber drivers get audited. I knew of a local cab driver, maybe five years ago, who claimed to get audited that year.

E30addixt

^ one mileage log. Boom. Done. It would be a rare case that actual expenses beat mileage deductions for the most Uber cars.

The high dollar black car guys with the fuel pigs, expensive maintenance and high depreciation might be the exception.

B - uberlyftdriver

its hard to beat the mileage deduction unless you claim home office and other things that will trigger an audit, its a fine line that i do not push
if a person has another biz or other income sources itemization might work, i'm definitely not an accountant

Veal66

its hard to beat the mileage deduction unless you claim home office and other things that will trigger an audit, its a fine line that i do not push
if a person has another biz or other income sources itemization might work, i'm definitely not an accountant
Yeah, some additional expenses outside of the mileage deduction are legit, like meals while working, or if you bought a phone to use strictly for Uber, but I remember another thread on here a few years ago on taxes, and one Uber driver was deducting the purchase of a computer because he kept records of uber on it (like that was the only thing he used it for, lol). He also deducted dinners out with his wife if he or she mentioned the word uber. Ridiculous.

Blingin

do most of you guys find it more convenient to pay somebody or do it yourself? I'm a bit overwhelmed with the forms but I'd like to hear your input as well
I haven't done it before, this is my first year, go to partners.uber.com and check the tax documents, once you are in that page you will see an ad for Turbo Tax offering free prep for rideshare drivers, you can use that for uber, lyft and other driving position with one account.
Check this video and others from the same turbo tax video series.