1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Guy offered me $200 to play...

Discussion in 'Stories' started by DamseLinDistresS, Aug 29, 2017.

1. DamseLinDistresS

DamseLinDistresS Well-Known Member

This happened one weekend I was out driving. I picked up a guy around 2:25am, he was standing by a late night fast food place. He looks about 18-22 years of age. I pull up next to him and gets in. Our eyes met, I smiled and said "How is it going? How was your night?" He smiled back and says, "It's been a long night so thank for picking up, you look like you'd like to play." I said, "Excuse me?"

Pax: Oh, sorry I meant to say you look like you like to play video games.
    Me: Haha, sometimes but I'm more of a casual gamer.
    Pax: Well, I got this great game at home I just bought. I haven't even opened it yet. Would you like to play it with me? I have many others too we can play together. What kind of games do you like?
    Me: Sorry, I have to decline your offer...but I like RPG's, scary games, and some FPS.
    Pax: Do you like Call of Duty, Battlefield or Halo?
    Me: I used to play Halo a long time ago, it was a fun game.
    Pax: So come play some games with me. I'm a nice guy, you don't have to worry about me...you can leave anytime you want.
    Me: I'm working and if I'm not on the road driving I'm losing money. (I was finding a nice way to let him down since I'm not a confrontational person, also his request was a little out of line even if his intentions were genuine).
    Pax: How about you come to my place and play video games with me and I'll pay you for your time? Just one hour of your time. Is $100 good for you?

Me: hmm, (pause)...I
    Pax: Let me make that $200 for just one hour of your time. I live in a nice area, it's my own place and you have nothing to worry about.
    Me: Why are you doing this? Why me? (I must admit $200 was pretty tempting for an hour of my time...I would probably make that driving at least 6-8 hours).
    Pax: You seem like a nice girl, warm smile, approachable and down to earth. So what do you say?
    Me: So just one hour right? And if I'm not feeling comfortable I can leave at anytime?
    Pax: Yes! You keep the $200 regardless of how long you stay even if you decide to leave as soon as you walk through the door.

I went to an ATM as he requested and he withdrew $200, then handed it over to me. I know many of you are probably cringing at this story and the fact that I even entertained the idea of going with a complete stranger, more so being a girl. I know there's something about unwanted contact with riders after the trip is over but this was not the case. I was going to simply turn off the app and I was going to be hanging out with someone on my own time. It also made me feel a little safer that I have mace with me in case I had to use it. I was on my toes at first but I did not get a bad intuition about this guy. I know you're always supposed to trust your instincts.

We ended up playing a few games and he was like a little kid, very excited to be playing video games with a friend. I left after the hour, he gave me a hug and said "Thank you so much for hanging out with me, I was right about you...you're awesome!" It was a bit of a good feeling having made his night and walking out of there with $200 in my pocket.

I had never done something like this before, meeting up with a complete stranger (a guy) going to his place. This could have gone terribly bad and you'd probably have heard this story on a news article. I went against all logic defying my safety for a few hundred dollars. No woman would have deliberately put herself in this situation. Would I do it again? I would probably say no I wouldn't. At the end of the day my safety is more important than all the money in the world. It was just a moment of doing something so rash and spontaneous, filled with a bit of adrenaline rush for doing something I should have not done...especially at 3 in the morning with a complete stranger. I'm curious to know if any of you would have done what I did in a similar situation?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  2. nowherefast

nowherefast Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Wow...luckily nothing happened to you, thank god...Also, glad, that it sounds like you made his day. Did you exchange numbers or gamer tags to continue playing games online?

3. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
  4. dirtylee

dirtylee Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Be glad you didn't get raped, kidnapped, & murdered.

As a guy, I won't pay anything for you to just hang out. Most men won't; paying for dates is one thing, but straight cash for nothing...

Serial killers do start from somewhere I guess.

5. DamseLinDistresS

Just gamer tags. I noticed I got a request from him but just haven't been on my Xbox in a while.

chitown73 and nowherefast like this.

6. dirtylee

dirtylee Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Then the perp after he ambushes you also gets a handgun & his $200 back. Enclosed environment, element of suprise & familiarity always favors the attacker. In their home, the aftermath is he said vs your dead body said. You would be in their home, with your pistol out & all it takes is a made up story of heated argument during the ride.

7. nowherefast

nowherefast Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    You need to add him, I'm sure he we'll be so excited :)...

1rightwinger likes this.
  8. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Better than going in with no fire arm. ive been in sketchier situations, id take my chances for a quick $200 if none of my spidey senses tingle.

9. Gmbbody

Gmbbody Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Some of the female pax I pick up from strip clubs go to strange hotels and do much more for that amount of cash.

10. goneubering

goneubering Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    That was a bad decision. I say safety comes first, especially for ladies. I'm very happy nothing bad happened to you.

11. DamseLinDistresS

Technically it was cash for my time and company to play video games, not for nothing.

tohunt4me and chitown73 like this.
  12. goneubering

goneubering Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Did you let any friends or family know where you were going?

13. DamseLinDistresS

I did neither :confused:

chitown73 likes this.
  14. Johnydoo

Johnydoo Well-Known Member

You risked your life for a lousy $200? What are you willing to do for 1K? 5K?10K? I am curious ;)

Dinoberra, Jcewr17, Soullust and 5 others like this.
  15. RynoHawk

RynoHawk Well-Known Member

I would suggest not having any further contact with him and not doing anything like that in the future. I don't trust people who feel they need to buy friends. Even if he was nice last time, those are often famous last words. "He was so nice the first time I met him, even though he kinda creeped me out and paid for my company."

Of course, I'm old enough to remember that "very special episode" of "Diff'rent Strokes." ;)

16. DamseLinDistresS

Depends what that entails me to do. Would I eat a habanero pepper for 1k, sure. Would I eat ghost pepper for 5k, okay. Would I eat a Carolina reaper for 10k, oh yes I would!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    The Emmissary, chitown73 and Johnydoo like this.
  17. DocT

DocT Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Don't leave us hanging here! You KNOW what everyone here really wants to know!

What game(s) did you two play? :D

18. Trafficat

Trafficat Well-Known Member

I would refuse personally. Danger aside, there is no way I could live up to someone's expectations. Anyone who thinks I'm cool for 20 minutes in my car would quickly realize I'm an awkward person that is miserable to be around when they take me out of my "let me pretend to be cool mode" that I turn on just for Uber. Heck, I cannot even maintain that for 20 minutes considering all the low ratings I earn.

19. Just Another Uber Drive

Just Another Uber Drive Well-Known Member

This is like the opening of an episode of Criminal Minds.

20. SadUber

SadUber Well-Known Member

You're always cool here.