Guarantee questions

1)If I get a pool request and pick up both riders does that count as two rides towards the 1.5 rides per hour?
2) if I get two uberX rides within the first 30 minstrel of an hour do I still have to remain online for the other 30 min. I met the 1.5 rides per hour already.

Friendly Jack

1) Yes, that counts as two rides. Each rider is counted as a ride.
2) Don't confuse the rides requirement (average 1 per hour, 1.5 per hour, 2 per hour, etc.) with the minutes online being compensated for. You usually have a minimum online time requirement (e.g., one hour), after which that being met along with the corresponding rides per hour requirement, the guarantee is computed based on your time online in driver mode. If you are not online in driver mode you are not earning guarantee money.

Also, keep in mind that any portion of an hour is considered to be an hour as pertains to the rides-per-hour requirement. For example, if you were online for one hour and one minute (61 minutes total) with a minimum one-ride-per-hour requirement, then you would need at least two rides total to qualify for the guarantee!

So, hopefully clearly answering your second question... Let's assume a minimum one-ride-per-hour requirement and a $30 per hour guarantee, with you paying Uber a 20% fee and having grossed $20 total on those two rides:
  • If you were in driver mode for 70 minutes total: =1.16 hours * $30 guarantee = $34.80 - $20 gross fares = $14.80 * 80% = $11.84 net would be added to your pay.
  • If you were in driver mode for 90 minutes total: =1.5 hours * $30 guarantee = $45.00 - $20 gross fares = $25.00 * 80% = $20.00 net would be added to your pay.
  • If you were in driver mode for 110 minutes total: =1.83 hours * $30 guarantee = $54.90 - $20 gross fares = $34.90 * 80% = $27.92 net would be added to your pay.
  • If you were in driver mode for the whole two hours: =2 hours * $30 guarantee = $60.00 - $20 gross fares = $40.00 * 80% = $32.00 net would be added to your pay.
Uber surely isn't stupid and the guarantees are structured to keep you wanting to stay online to earn the most guarantee money. All things considered, I guess that's fair from their business standpoint. I hope this explanation helps your understanding.

NY Peach

That was so helpful, thank you Friendly Jack for all of the great information.

I have another question regarding the guarantees. I was online this morning for 3 hours during the promotional time and had 4 rides. I met the minimum ride requirement of 4 rides for the promotion time period, but there was 1.5 rides per hour requirement. Will I still get the promotional pay for 2 hours?

Also, what happens if you are on a ride before the promo time starts and it ends after the promo time started? Does it count towards the ride requirements and time online? I though it would not count, but when I contacted Uber regarding the pay discrepancy, they counted it towards the hourly pay guarantee.

Thanks!

Friendly Jack

That was so helpful, thank you Friendly Jack for all of the great information.

I have another question regarding the guarantees. I was online this morning for 3 hours during the promotional time and had 4 rides. I met the minimum ride requirement of 4 rides for the promotion time period, but there was 1.5 rides per hour requirement. Will I still get the promotional pay for 2 hours?

Also, what happens if you are on a ride before the promo time starts and it ends after the promo time started? Does it count towards the ride requirements and time online? I though it would not count, but when I contacted Uber regarding the pay discrepancy, they counted it towards the hourly pay guarantee.

Thanks!
Answer to first question: Unfortunately, no, you will not get the guarantee money. For any one block of guarantee time (e.g., 6 AM to 10 AM; 3 PM to Midnight; etc.) they are looking at your total time online versus the requirements to determine if you qualify. So, 3 hours (and I will assume you truly meant exactly 3 hours, not something more than that) would be computed as 3 hours * 1.5 rides per hour = 4.5 rides required; and since you can't do a half ride this is rounded up to 5 rides being required. Therefore, your 4 rides did not qualify you for the guarantee.

Answer to second question: Per my experience, only a ride that starts at time of the request during the guarantee period counts as a ride toward the guarantee. However, if during that ride a guarantee period begins, the time incurred during that ride within the guarantee period is counted. As an example, assume a ride request comes in at 8:50 AM and your guarantee period begins at 9:00 AM, and the ride takes you 20 minutes (until 9:10 AM) to complete. The ride would not count toward the guarantee (it was before 9:00 AM) but 10 minutes of time (from 9:00 AM to 9:10) would. Yes, this is definitely "Uber math" that strongly favors Uber, but this is how they have computed it for me in the past.

Commenting further on the second question, this also works in reverse near the end of a guarantee period when you certainly don't want another ride after requirements have been met. You just want the clock to run out then to maximize your guarantee money, right? A ride that starts before the end of the guarantee period (maybe one minute before the end... ugh!) but ends perhaps long after the end of the guarantee period has its fare included in your gross fares for the guarantee period. Translated: You did this ride for nothing unless the gross fare was greater than your earned guarantee amount. These rides are the absolute worst! A good practice is not to be to greedy about those last few minutes of guarantee time unless you are sitting someplace where a long ride request is very unlikely!

I hope this all makes sense. If not, I will be happy to try explaining again another way.

NY Peach

Thanks so much Friendly Jack!

Ok, so the second part makes sense.

Regarding the first part, it sounds like, in regards to trip requirements, the first "hoop" to jump though in order to qualify is the minimum ride requests required for the time block. Once this condition is met, then the trips per hour requirement must be met. This is determined by the total amount of time online during the promo time frame. Any part of an hour online during the promo time frame is rounded up to the next hour to determine the trips per hour requirement, even if it is just an extra minute online.

This brings another question to mind - the time a driver is online is listed in 2 places on the app, on the homepage and on the Daily Earnings details page. On the homepage, it says I was online for 2:47 hours, but on the Daily Earnings page, it says I was online for 3 hours and 3 minutes. I was in fact online for 3 hours and 3 minutes - my guarantee was from 6:30-9:30 AM. I signed in at 6:28 AM and signed off at 9:31 AM. They use the Daily Earnings time data to determine time worked when calculating guarantee pay, correct?

From what you said previously, I understand that Uber will pay for partial hours worked - it doesn't have to be in full hour increments. Can you please confirm this?

Is there anything else I should keep in mind when trying to qualify for a guarantee?

Thanks again, I really appreciate that you have taken the time to explain all of this to me!

Friendly Jack

Any part of an hour online during the promo time frame is rounded up to the next hour to determine the trips per hour requirement, even if it is just an extra minute online.

This brings another question to mind - the time a driver is online is listed in 2 places on the app, on the homepage and on the Daily Earnings details page. On the homepage, it says I was online for 2:47 hours, but on the Daily Earnings page, it says I was online for 3 hours and 3 minutes. I was in fact online for 3 hours and 3 minutes - my guarantee was from 6:30-9:30 AM. I signed in at 6:28 AM and signed off at 9:31 AM. They use the Daily Earnings time data to determine time worked when calculating guarantee pay, correct?

From what you said previously, I understand that Uber will pay for partial hours worked - it doesn't have to be in full hour increments. Can you please confirm this?

Is there anything else I should keep in mind when trying to qualify for a guarantee?

Thanks again, I really appreciate that you have taken the time to explain all of this to me!
Correct, I always use the time displayed from the Earnings page. It has always corresponded correctly with Uber guarantee calculations; and, correct, they do pay partial hours but the minimum hours (usually 1 or 2) must be met.

Regarding hours online, I probably misled you a little. The time is not specifically rounded up to the next hour, but an additional minute will frequently have a rounding effect on the corresponding rides-per-hour requirement, especially when that rides requirement is a whole number. For example, assuming a one-ride-per-hour requirement, 60 minutes (exactly) = 1 ride required, whereas 61 minutes = 2 rides required. In this example any total time online from 61 through 120 minutes will require 2 rides completed. Stay online for 121 minutes (2 hours and 1 minute) and then you will need 3 rides completed. The easy way to do this is to simply convert your time online to minutes and then divide by 60, then incrementing the result up to the next whole number. For example, 4 hours and 11 minutes = 251 minutes, divided by 60 = 4.18 = 5 rides required.

This computation gets a bit trickier when the ride requirement is fractional (i.e., 1.5 rides per hour), but is computed the same way. To save your sanity, just remember that if the requirement is 1.5 per hour, then this translates to 1 completed ride per 40 minutes or any fraction of 40 minutes thereof. So, for 1.5 rides per hour, assuming that the minimum hours and rides requirement has been met, you will need one completed ride for every 40 minute block of time online including one additional ride for any excess fractional time not divisible by 40. Again, for example, 4 hours and 11 minutes = 251 minutes, divided by 40 = 6.28 = 7 rides required. Makes sense, I hope.

The only other thing to consider is that when chasing those final few minutes of guarantee time you can possibly bypass a request if your acceptance rate to that time will allow you to do so while still meeting the acceptance rate requirement. Another member, PTCGUY, sent me a message reminding me to mention this (thanks to PTCGUY for the reminder). I do this quite often but will warn you that acceptance rate is not displayed anywhere in real time within the app, so be careful to not make a mistake! I will also add that it helps to experiment with finding the best place to "hide" after having enough rides banked to satisfy the remainder of your guarantee period. You can never hide completely, but I have found a few locations where requests are far less frequent and I try to head to one of those whenever I can.

Good luck with your guarantees!

Friendly Jack

One more thing, Peach... I keep all of my guarantee tracking by time block in a little spreadsheet for the week. Several times I have quite pointedly used the time displayed within the Earnings page to go offline exactly at a full hour interval (1 or 2) to coincide with the minimum time requirement and the number of rides I had given (the bare requirement; slow mornings in the suburbs). Uber agreed with these timings every time and correctly paid my guarantee for those time blocks. I feel that it is quite safe to always refer to the time shown on the Earnings page.

NY Peach

One more thing, Peach... I keep all of my guarantee tracking by time block in a little spreadsheet for the week. Several times I have quite pointedly used the time displayed within the Earnings page to go offline exactly at a full hour interval (1 or 2) to coincide with the minimum time requirement and the number of rides I had given (the bare requirement; slow mornings in the suburbs). Uber agreed with these timings every time and correctly paid my guarantee for those time blocks. I feel that it is quite safe to always refer to the time shown on the Earnings page.
Thank you so, so much Jack for all of your help and suggestions, I really appreciate it. I feel a lot better trying for the guarantees now that I better understand the (quite literary) unwritten "rules".

Thanks for your help as well PTCGUY!

Chip Dawg

Correct, I always use the time displayed from the Earnings page. It has always corresponded correctly with Uber guarantee calculations; and, correct, they do pay partial hours but the minimum hours (usually 1 or 2) must be met.

Regarding hours online, I probably misled you a little. The time is not specifically rounded up to the next hour, but an additional minute will frequently have a rounding effect on the corresponding rides-per-hour requirement, especially when that rides requirement is a whole number. For example, assuming a one-ride-per-hour requirement, 60 minutes (exactly) = 1 ride required, whereas 61 minutes = 2 rides required. In this example any total time online from 61 through 120 minutes will require 2 rides completed. Stay online for 121 minutes (2 hours and 1 minute) and then you will need 3 rides completed. The easy way to do this is to simply convert your time online to minutes and then divide by 60, then incrementing the result up to the next whole number. For example, 4 hours and 11 minutes = 251 minutes, divided by 60 = 4.18 = 5 rides required.

This computation gets a bit trickier when the ride requirement is fractional (i.e., 1.5 rides per hour), but is computed the same way. To save your sanity, just remember that if the requirement is 1.5 per hour, then this translates to 1 completed ride per 40 minutes or any fraction of 40 minutes thereof. So, for 1.5 rides per hour, assuming that the minimum hours and rides requirement has been met, you will need one completed ride for every 40 minute block of time online including one additional ride for any excess fractional time not divisible by 40. Again, for example, 4 hours and 11 minutes = 251 minutes, divided by 40 = 6.28 = 7 rides required. Makes sense, I hope.

The only other thing to consider is that when chasing those final few minutes of guarantee time you can possibly bypass a request if your acceptance rate to that time will allow you to do so while still meeting the acceptance rate requirement. Another member, PTCGUY, sent me a message reminding me to mention this (thanks to PTCGUY for the reminder). I do this quite often but will warn you that acceptance rate is not displayed anywhere in real time within the app, so be careful to not make a mistake! I will also add that it helps to experiment with finding the best place to "hide" after having enough rides banked to satisfy the remainder of your guarantee period. You can never hide completely, but I have found a few locations where requests are far less frequent and I try to head to one of those whenever I can.

Good luck with your guarantees!
You can "hide" outside the guarantee area once you meet the ride requirement.