• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Grocery store runs. Anyone still do them?

Hunt to Eat

Like most U/L drivers, I refused to pick up paxs from grocery stores when I was driving for U/L. Anyone still picking up paxs at grocery stores? If so, why?

Last edited:

Shangsta

Didn't you say you don't drive Uber anymore in the other thread? Yet you keep making driving threads.

Anyways I don't think anyone intentionally picks up at grocery stores. Means loading groceries and is usually a short trip.

Hunt to Eat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Didn't you say you don't drive Uber anymore in the other thread? Yet you keep making driving threads.

Anyways I don't think anyone intentionally picks up at grocery stores. Means loading groceries and is usually a short trip.
Short trip, carrying groceries, wasted time loading/unloading. I could just never make sense of doing grocery store runs. I figure, let the newbs who haven't figured out the game yet take the grocery store fares. Every time I'd bail on a grocery store pickup I told myself I was helping some new driver learn the ropes.

FL_Dex

Around here we have a lot of boat people. Crew for big boats and commercial cargo ships and a lot of seasonal live-aboards. They usually don't have a ton of groceries (no place to store it all) and most of them don't have cars. Most of the time they'll have two bags of groceries and a bag of Simple Green. Apparently that's the sh!t for cleaning boats.

iUBERdc

Like most U/L drivers, I refused to pick up paxs from grocery stores when I was driving for U/L. Anyone still picking up paxs at grocery stores? If so, why?
Yes because if I didn't, there would be too much downtown. Grocery runs are annoying but most people are kind and they don't bug me too much. I start the clock the moment they start loading. Whatever, it's part of the gig. Though if I am too annoyed on a random day, I will avoid Walmart like the plague.

In my college town, every trip is a short trip. Doesn't matter where I pick up. So I do grocery runs. Mostly cute sorority girls getting stuff or international students. Whatever.

tohunt4me

Wal Mart & grocery I'll take them.
People have to shop.
If it's a slow day,I may even sit in Wal Mart parking lot and wait.
I actually enjoy giving old people and handicapped rides from the grocery store and will assist.
Young college guys from whole foods can get their own stuff.
People have to eat.
I do drive through too .
People have needs. What if it were you ?

Around here we have a lot of boat people. Crew for big boats and commercial cargo ships and a lot of seasonal live-aboards. They usually don't have a ton of groceries (no place to store it all) and most of them don't have cars. Most of the time they'll have two bags of groceries and a bag of Simple Green. Apparently that's the sh!t for cleaning boats.
The grocery stores pick the orders and deliver to work boats here.

Cableguynoe

I would do it with lyft. Almost a guaranteed tip if you help them load and unload the groceries. With Uber, not so much.

Hunt to Eat

Wal Mart & grocery I'll take them.
People have to shop.
If it's a slow day,I may even sit in Wal Mart parking lot and wait.
I actually enjoy giving old people and handicapped rides from the grocery store and will assist.
Young college guys from whole foods can get their own stuff.
People have to eat.
I do drive through too .
People have needs. What if it were you ?

The grocery stores pick the orders and deliver to work boats here.
My position has nothing to do with "what if it was me?" and everything to do with maximizing profit. See, when I want to do charity work, I sometimes drive for Meals on Wheels. But when I'm out there hustling for a buck, I have to forego the time-wasting, no-profit rides. It's just business. Nothing personal.

Yes because if I didn't, there would be too much downtown. Grocery runs are annoying but most people are kind and they don't bug me too much. I start the clock the moment they start loading. Whatever, it's part of the gig. Though if I am too annoyed on a random day, I will avoid Walmart like the plague.

In my college town, every trip is a short trip. Doesn't matter where I pick up. So I do grocery runs. Mostly cute sorority girls getting stuff or international students. Whatever.
I did one Wal-Mart pickup a few years ago. Never again. When I was driving, I had to be profitable - every fare. At these rates, we simply cannot afford to run grocery getters six blocks, and then waste even more time un/loading. I get that people have to shop. But I also get that that I'm not the only ride available. I'd let the inexperienced newbs have those fares. It's good training for them.

Didn't you say you don't drive Uber anymore in the other thread?
Yes. I have hung up the U/L keys, but that doesn't mean I can't share the value of my experience. I was one of Uber's most profitable drivers in my market, so why shouldn't I share the value of what I've learned out there?

Go4

Yes. I have hung up the U/L keys, but that doesn't mean I can't share the value of my experience. I was one of Uber's most profitable drivers in my market, so why shouldn't I share the value of what I've learned out there?
Isn't that like the adults who keep going back to their high schools just to hang out?

You might have been awesome at one time, but now you're just the old retired guy who keeps going into the office to "help".

Hunt to Eat

Isn't that like the adults who keep going back to their high schools just to hang out?

You might have been awesome at one time, but now you're just the old retired guy who keeps going into the office to "help".
Not at all. I'm also a teacher, so I am more than willing to share of my knowledge and experience. Hopefully you'll have such a tutorial approach to the younger folks in your life. And since it's nearly impossible to earn any real profit driving U/L, you folks can benefit from a guy like me who was a leading profit earner in my market.

Let me know if I can clarify anything else for you, OK?

Cableguynoe

Love the negativity in here sometimes

nickd8775

If it's a Walmart or grocery store I don't accept. If I'm far away, I look up the address on Google maps. Cancel if it's a grocery store. If it's nearby and I see someone able bodied with a full cart, I cancel because of simple economics. It's not worth it.

ParrotFish

Picked up rider and 16 gallons of milk. It was for a pop up coffee shop. At least she gave me a nice coffee. It's the randomness of uber makes it interesting.

Hunt to Eat

If it's a Walmart or grocery store I don't accept. If I'm far away, I look up the address on Google maps. Cancel if it's a grocery store. If it's nearby and I see someone able bodied with a full cart, I cancel because of simple economics. It's not worth it.
Exactly. And these are some of the simple steps that drivers really need to learn if they're interested in doing better than simply breaking even in their U/L driving efforts.

Karen Stein

OF COURSE I do pick-up at grocery stores! How do you think the folks you dropped off there are going to get home?

More on point, how do you know they'll have a cart full of stuff and only be going a few blocks? I am guessing 75% of my grocery store calls have been store employees going home- and they always seem to live on the opposite side of town.

Hunt to Eat

OF COURSE I do pick-up at grocery stores! How do you think the folks you dropped off there are going to get home?

More on point, how do you know they'll have a cart full of stuff and only be going a few blocks? I am guessing 75% of my grocery store calls have been store employees going home- and they always seem to live on the opposite side of town.
And in my experience, I would show up just so I could drive someone and their six bags of groceries five blocks. I simply cannot make money doing that, so I'd cancel all grocery store rides as soon as I figured out I'm about to drop into the rabbit hole of no profit. I'm genuinely thankful that you're willing to pick up the people that I couldn't serve, but that's only because I refuse to take charity runs. Thank you for picking up my slack. I feel better knowing you're out there.