Griffith observatory

mandreyka

So I was in Hollywood yesterday and got an XL ping. Pick up 6 Chinese tourists and the destination is Griffith observatory.

I have never been up there so off we went, so we get up there and there is a ton of people and barely any cell service so I'm thinking these people are screwed.

As they get out they ask me to stay because they just wanted to take a couple pics and go to their hotel.
They had a little girl with them so said ok 5 minutes or I have to leave, they were back and back down we go.

I started thinking , who the hell will come up here for a pick up? Pax need to think about that before they get stuck , had a group of kids that had me take them out to a distant canyon with no cell service to go hiking last weekend too. Thought "probably goin to hear about them on the news" because it was 102 degrees

macchiato

Precisely the reason why The Greek pickups are horrible. Can't start trip or end trip until you're halfway down the hill.

ChinatownJake

I started thinking, who the hell will come up here for a pick up? Pax need to think about that before they get stuck.
It's one of those pick-up points for which Uber should consider adding a "distance fee" or something. I've had enough nightmare experiences in the past, including Pax canceling on me as I was halfway up Griffith Park, to never want to accept. And yes, if once you get there a problem occurs with finding Pax, forget about reception.

Last edited:

WMUber

I was lucky the last time I was Hourly. I had an Uber drop-off at the Observatory. While stuck in traffic, I received a stacked ping. It ended up working out perfectly. I dropped off and picked up at the same time.

I advised my drop-off when leaving to take the shuttle down the hill and request an Uber from the Vermont subway station. I told them that cell reception is bad and with traffic congestion many Uber drivers will not pick up there.

Another time (also Hourly) when I was ahead in my ride count, I received a ping up at a trail head in Pacific Palisades. They had cell phone issues and were still hiking down the hill. I waited 20 minutes for them because I concerned that they may be in trouble. Luckily they were O.K. (one of the few times I offered water) and it ended up being a 15 mile two drop off ride. This was also back when Hourly received stacked pings and I still was ahead on my ride count. Basically, Uber paid me for a break.

ChinatownJake

I was lucky the last time I was Hourly. I had an Uber drop-off at the Observatory. While stuck in traffic, I received a stacked ping. It ended up working out perfectly. I dropped off and picked up at the same time.
That's the best. Dropoffs are definitely a lot more doable, fun. Even if the car is empty on the way down, it's a nice glide. One of my highlight dropoffs was when a big fashion brand rented the entire Observatory on a weeknight for a big runway show. Dropped off one of the event organizers, nice tip, etc.

Uruber

So I was in Hollywood yesterday and got an XL ping. Pick up 6 Chinese tourists and the destination is Griffith observatory.

I have never been up there so off we went, so we get up there and there is a ton of people and barely any cell service so I'm thinking these people are screwed.

As they get out they ask me to stay because they just wanted to take a couple pics and go to their hotel.
They had a little girl with them so said ok 5 minutes or I have to leave, they were back and back down we go.

I started thinking , who the hell will come up here for a pick up? Pax need to think about that before they get stuck , had a group of kids that had me take them out to a distant canyon with no cell service to go hiking last weekend too. Thought "probably goin to hear about them on the news" because it was 102 degrees
Los Feliz is a route that I normally take to go home or from home to Hollywood.They got me once when I was new driving for Uber but that was all it took for me to realize that never again, now when I am driving in that area I log off or if I forgot to do so I don't take the pin, I have actually acepted a few for being distracted but I cancel them right away when I see that they are up there.You loose money going all the way there to take them to Hollywood.

KekeLo

I dropped off there the other day. The Uber drivers stay parked up there

Mike78

there is a Wi-Fi at the restroom, I know place at the parking lot reception available on cell phone, but I never go pick up, just if I really close

hbdope

I live around the area. It's not that bad. I'd pickup there before I'd pick up anywhere near Hollywood / highland. Had a few pax from OC last week ping me from eagle rock to the Greek for a Meghan Trainor concert. They were late and that made it so much easier because there was not traffic lol. I never had a problem with cell service there either. ATT cuts out but that's why I have Verizon.

WMUber

I live around the area. It's not that bad. I'd pickup there before I'd pick up anywhere near Hollywood / highland. Had a few pax from OC last week ping me from eagle rock to the Greek for a Meghan Trainor concert. They were late and that made it so much easier because there was not traffic lol. I never had a problem with cell service there either. ATT cuts out but that's why I have Verizon.
That's why I have Verizon as well. Verizon tends to have the best coverage in the hills.

SCdave

Dropped off and stayed for pick up.... Once. . I might be stupid but I'm a fast learner.

Dropped off PAX for Greek Theater another time. . PAX planned ahead. Said to go up Drop Off route the back way) can't remember street name) . . No traffic. Said thank you to PAX for planning ahead and no, they wouldnt see me after the concert. .So few people that parking/traffic attendant let me park on a side dirt spot and go use the restroom.

Besides this, what everyone else said.

Joe123456

Dropped off and stayed for pick up.... Once. . I might be stupid but I'm a fast learner.

Dropped off PAX for Greek Theater another time. . PAX planned ahead. Said to go up Drop Off route the back way) can't remember street name) . . No traffic. Said thank you to PAX for planning ahead and no, they wouldnt see me after the concert. .So few people that parking/traffic attendant let me park on a side dirt spot and go use the restroom.

Besides this, what everyone else said.
The street name is commonwealth takes you back to Los feliz Blvd.

macchiato

Did a drop last week and the attendant there say that road was only used for Uber/Lyft.

Had I known the destination before arriving at pickup location (on Lyft), would have canceled ride.

CaptainJackLA

Bad place to be in the weekend, during summer, and concert at Greek. Other than that I had no issues.

But lately I dropped them off half way up, cause I know the lot is full. I make them walk up.

F213

mandreyka would you drop me off near the 15fwy and Zzyzx, I wanna go hiking to central desert. Pick me up in 29 palms in 2 days. $300 total. $150 there, $150 at 29 palms. I been to a desert provING ground so 120°F weather is nothing to me.

I got phosphorescent lights we can agree to use. You'll have to drive by at 15 mph and let me jump in the car, all clandestine n shit.