• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Greetings from Westchester County, NY

YonkersResident

Good afternoon, just wanted to say hello and thank you for letting me join the forum. I've never driven before but I am in the process of getting my TLC license for Westchester county.

Now, why have I decided to learn the trade? My father was a base livery driver in the 90s in Manhattan. His cousin is going on his 30th year and is one of the owners of an executive/luxury car service out of new jersey. He asked me if I would like to give driving a shot and I said sure, why not? I expected him to tell me to try the city of new York but he said for me to stick to Westchester for now, to get my feet wet. my father is also encouraging me to try it. It would be a part time weekend gig as I have a Monday through Friday job already.

hope to get some good advice here and there from others in the forum. thank you.

YonkersResident

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You sure about that? Here in Westchester I've seen Uber and Lyft people(who live here) with Westchester TLC plates.

But also, I do want to do airport rides out of Westchester Airport for bases and those require TLC plates. I hate asking this here but I can't find much forums on black car service talk so I apologize if this is not the right place to talk about non Uber/Lyft and other rideshare services.

reg barclay

You sure about that? Here in Westchester I've seen Uber and Lyft people(who live here) with Westchester TLC plates.

But also, I do want to do airport rides out of Westchester Airport for bases and those require TLC plates. I hate asking this here but I can't find much forums on black car service talk so I apologize if this is not the right place to talk about non Uber/Lyft and other rideshare services.
Yes, 100% sure about that. I drive in Rockland and Westchester myself. Ever since around July 2017, Uber/Lyft have had their own designation as TNC's, and are regulated by the NY DMV everywhere in NY, except NYC:

If you want to do work for taxi bases, then that's a separate thing. I believe Westchester has its own licensing, but TLC may work there as well. Not sure though, since it's not something I'm really familiar with.

YonkersResident

How's Uber and Lyft for Rockland and Westchester? Is it mainly NYC and airport rides? What are rates like?

KK2929

Good afternoon, just wanted to say hello and thank you for letting me join the forum. I've never driven before but I am in the process of getting my TLC license for Westchester county.

Now, why have I decided to learn the trade? My father was a base livery driver in the 90s in Manhattan. His cousin is going on his 30th year and is one of the owners of an executive/luxury car service out of new jersey. He asked me if I would like to give driving a shot and I said sure, why not? I expected him to tell me to try the city of new York but he said for me to stick to Westchester for now, to get my feet wet. my father is also encouraging me to try it. It would be a part time weekend gig as I have a Monday through Friday job already.

hope to get some good advice here and there from others in the forum. thank you.
---------------------------
Welcome !!! Working for your family is the best way to go. As I read your post, your cousin has a limo service. Working for a limo service is no where near what Ride Share is about.
You will see a side of human nature ( your paxs ) that is often alarming. Keep an open mind. In the daylight and sober, these people are actually normal humans. Well, most are any way.

Michael - Cleveland

They choose to do livery/TLC so that they can drive in New York City and do pickups. But it's not required for pickups in Westchester County.

YonkersResident

They choose to do livery/TLC so that they can drive in New York City and do pickups. But it's not required for pickups in Westchester County.
That makes sense. Then again, I'm learning more and more that there isn't much common sense from the people who run these organizations.

Rivaldo8

Much excited to meet up with you dude. And also glad to know that finally, you have been able to join and decide to start with uber. You'll get lots of valuable info from here. Just visit and enjoy this community.

YonkersResident

Much excited to meet up with you dude. And also glad to know that finally, you have been able to join and decide to start with uber. You'll get lots of valuable info from here. Just visit and enjoy this community.
Thanks. I'm still just getting my license and doing more and more research. Still, I do not know if it is the nature of this site, and I understand why, but I wonder if getting into the driving business is even a good idea these days. Seems there are way more horror stories than good ones.

I'm a people person and figured the limo/chauffeur business would do me good financially while I study on the side. Maybe I'll stick to my 9 to 5 and have limo driving as a Saturday job.

Rivaldo8

Thanks. I'm still just getting my license and doing more and more research. Still, I do not know if it is the nature of this site, and I understand why, but I wonder if getting into the driving business is even a good idea these days. Seems there are way more horror stories than good ones.

I'm a people person and figured the limo/chauffeur business would do me good financially while I study on the side. Maybe I'll stick to my 9 to 5 and have limo driving as a Saturday job.
That's great! Stick to your job and get success. All the best!

YonkersResident

That's great! Stick to your job and get success. All the best!
I'm not saying there is no success in this field, because if I go into it I would have the help of a family member who has been doing it for 3 decades now. It's just that it seems there is no going up, you know what I mean? Prospects do not seem good in the future.