greetings all, looking for some advice

cmo3963594

I am looking for a way to drive with UBER. I am doing this, because I understand the money may be pretty good. Unfortunately, my car is a 2001 2 door. so I was thinking of renting one, but that appears to be a challenge. That whole livery exclusion on rental cars. I have posted on craigslist, but not expecting a quick response. Realize it's a long shot, but does anyone have any helpful ideas, it would be greatly appreciated. I appreciate your courtesy.

UberMeansSuper

1. Unless you're going to make Uber a permanent gig, or a supplemental gig to an already-stable gig, don't do it. You'll lose money.
2. DO NOT give in to the Santander "get a brand new car for $250+ a week!" thing. Trust me. Don't.
3. Your area must be closing to saturation, as your rates are still somewhat decent but circling the drain. $1.15 base + $0.17/minute + $0.90 a mile, minimum fare $5, cancellation fee still exists at $5... don't take the plunge on a hugely expensive car, because your rates are coming down in the next few months; I bet you!
4. If you're serious about this, there are a few options where you can rent a car, like HyreCar, or some other stuff through Uber that I can't seem to find right now. Google is your friend.

Weigh your options carefully.

And if you do decide to go through with this stuff, opt out of arbitration before your 30th day with Uber. UberNorthStar and chi1cabby will be glad you did. And you will, too.

UberNorthStar

Hi, cmo3963594.

Welcome to the forum!

Please read your Partnership Agreement. (Clickyour "Profile" on Dashboard Uber PartnerWebsite. Click "Legal".)

New Drivers have 30 Days to Opt-out of
Binding Arbitration. <-------helpful link

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

LAuberX

The pay is about $9.00 per hour after all expenses.

Is that "pretty good" in your state?

UberNorthStar

cmo3963594 Please find a job as a stocker at Target, Walmart, or Toys"R" Us. All three are hiring for the holiday season.

What you have heard about Uber and good earnings is false for the vast majority of drivers.
Here is how I break it down. Lets take the minimum fare of $5.00 and see how much the after tax amount is in general

$5.00.
x.80 (20% commission to Uber)

$4.00
-.70 (avg cost per mile to drive car)**

$3.30
x.847 (deducting 15.3% self-employment tax)

$2.80 (profit after taxes) 56% of gross fare

**It costs on average 35 cents per mile (future costs) to run a car. Seventy cents was deducted b/c for every paid mile you will drive one dead mile that is unpaid.

To figure out your true cost per mile to drive, use the formula on this blog.
https://uberpeople.net/xfa-blog-entry/how-to-calculate-costs-as-an-uber-driver.23/

If you go to work at one of the stores I mentioned, your take-home pay will be about 90% deducting just taxes. In the stores you can set up a 401K, or deduct for benefits, neither of which Uber offers.

I could go into other cons for driving for Uber. Just click on the bold type in the welcome message for information for a new driver.

UNS :smiles:

Michael - Cleveland

cmo3963594 $5.00.
$4.00
$3.30
**It costs on average 35 cents per mile (future costs) to run a car. Seventy cents was deducted b/c for every paid mile you will drive one dead mile that is unpaid.
https://uberpeople.net/xfa-blog-entry/how-to-calculate-costs-as-an-uber-driver.23/
For Newport News/Virginia Beach, VA the $5 min fare is actually $4 min 'earnings' before Uber Fee (due to the $1 SRF).
So the calculation would be:
$5 min fare - ($1 srf )= $4
less (20% Uber fee) = $3.20
- $ .70 exp = $2.50 - $ .38 tax = $2.12

So, in Newport News/VA Beach,
if a driver could do 4 min fare trips an hour,
they would be earning $8.48/hr.
With no benefits.
And that's only if new drivers get in at the 20% rate and not the 25% rate.

And that's only if you already have a car to drive Uber... it doesn't account for 'renting' one.

UberNorthStar is right. Get a job stocking shelves through the holidays.

Last edited:

FlDriver

UberNorthStar, you're way off.

What car costs 70 cents a mile to drive? That's a bad choice for Uber.

You are completely ignoring the mileage deduction and vastly overestimating the taxes.

Assuming one dead mile for every paid mile is a stretch, too. I suggest not driving around at random looking for riders.

Not sure why you're assuming every ride is minimum fare. I've never had a shift where that happens. Maybe 1 or 2 out of 10 are. You are completely ignoring the 20 or 30 mile rides.

Bob Reynolds

For Newport News/Virginia Beach, VA the $5 min fare is actually $4 min 'earnings' before Uber Fee (due to the $1 SRF).
So the calculation would be:
$5 min fare - ($1 srf )= $4
less (20% Uber fee) = $3.20
- $ .70 exp = $2.50 - $ .38 tax = $2.12

So, in Newport News/VA Beach,
if a driver could do 4 min fare trips an hour,
they would be earning $8.48/hr.
With no benefits.
And that's only if new drivers get in at the 20% rate and not the 25% rate.

And that's only if you already have a car to drive Uber... it doesn't account for 'renting' one.

UberNorthStar is right. Get a job stocking shelves through the holidays.
Uber's own study says that drivers do 1.4 trips per hour. It is not possible to average 4 trips per hour. Each Uber driver has 42 minutes (on average) tied up in each call.

Michael - Cleveland

Uber's own study says that drivers do 1.4 trips per hour. It is not possible to average 4 trips per hour. Each Uber driver has 42 minutes (on average) tied up in each call.
It does depend on the city - and the area in the city. I know when I drive to downtown Cleveland I can do 3 trips an hour pretty easily. But I don't like the short trips much - it's exhausting. I hang out in my suburbs and do 1 - 2 trips an hour during busy times - 1 an hour when it's slow. But they're usually mich longer trips than the downtown trips.

I don't think it is very informative to look at what Uber reports as 'averages':
Due to the large variables bewtween cities and markets and DRIVERS habits of where and when they drive, no one should base their expectations on the 'average' driver because
the average driver exists only in statistical analysis, not reality.
(although I have to admit, I have read a few drivers here who fit the definition of 'mean average')

Last edited:

Michael - Cleveland

Assuming one dead mile for every paid mile is a stretch, too.
Based on my own experience and those of the drivers I know, it's not a stretch -
and is probably an underestimate by around 50%.
Test it yourself.
Note your odometer at the start of a 'shift' and when you're done for the day.
The add up the 'paid' miles from your trip reports.
Let us know what your results are.

I'll give you an example - not considering the occasional longer trips I get, it usually takes me anywhere from 1 to 3 miles to pick someone up. (Those are unpaid miles)
My average trip disatnce is between 1 and 5 miles (paid miles).
I Usually have to drive 1 to 3 miles after a drop-off to get to where I need to be to receive my next ride request (unpaid miles - because I can't just sit in someone's driveway waiting fo my next 'ping').

Does that make sense to you?
In any case - that's what I see when driving.

Uberchris555

cmo3963594 Please find a job as a stocker at Target, Walmart, or Toys"R" Us. All three are hiring for the holiday season.

What you have heard about Uber and good earnings is false for the vast majority of drivers.
Here is how I break it down. Lets take the minimum fare of $5.00 and see how much the after tax amount is in general

$5.00.

$4.00

$3.30

If you go to work at one of the stores I mentioned, your take-home pay will be about 90% deducting just taxes. In the stores you can set up a 401K, or deduct for benefits, neither of which Uber offers.

I could go into other cons for driving for Uber. Just click on the bold type in the welcome message for information for a new driver.

UNS :smiles:
Ubernorthstar can you explain me the .70 per mile expense? Mine is about .15 and that's stretching it

Uberchris555

Honestly I know about 7 of my friends that also drive for uber and everyone is absolutely happy with it, the money is great, don't listen to this idiots, they are probably cab drivers on a mission

UberNorthStar

The above is how I estimated my cost per mile to drive the car I use. Expenses include gasoline, tires, regular maintenance, oil changes, and brake pads among other things.

Several missed my notation for the 70 cents cost per mile.
"**It costs on average 35 cents per mile (future costs) to run a car. Seventy cents was deducted b/c for every paid mile you will drive one dead mile that is unpaid."

FlDriver I do not randomly drive around to find riders. Once I drop a rider off, I find a nearby gas station to wait for the next request. I am not paid for the miles I drive to reach a rider. Therefore I subtract the cost per mile for a dead mile for each paid mile.

Last edited:

Steve Joseph

Honestly I know about 7 of my friends that also drive for uber and everyone is absolutely happy with it, the money is great, don't listen to this idiots, they are probably cab drivers on a mission
I'm not a cab driver and I don't have a mission but I challenge anyone on this forum saying those stating the pay is lower than advertised are "idiots" to provide hard evidence to the contrary. Calling people "idiots" isn't an argument or position. It's a put down to avoid intellectual debate and defending your point in a civil manner. The advice you're giving the OP in my opinion is misleading and may not pertain to the area they live in. I would go as far as saying it's factually inaccurate.

Of those 7 friends that drive for UBER are you telling me that after gas and other expenses related to driving + wear and tear or repairs from wear and tear they're making enough to live off of and still SAVE money for when their car needs to be replaced? Are these single individuals or individuals with families?

Last edited:

Uberchris555

I'm not a cab driver and I don't have a mission but I challenge anyone on this forum saying those stating the pay is lower than advertised are "idiots" to provide hard evidence to the contrary. Calling people "idiots" isn't an argument or position. It's a put down to avoid intellectual debate and defend your point in a civil manner. The advice you're giving the OP in my opinion is misleading and may not pertain to the area they live in. I would go as far as saying it's factually inaccurate.

Of those 7 friends that drive for UBER are you telling me that after gas and other expenses related to driving + wear and tear or repairs from wear and tear they're making enough to live off of and still SAVE money for when their car needs to be replaced? Are these single individuals or individuals with families?
Well I drive in Miami for about 20 hours a week, after expenses I take about 250 a week, if I was to drive 40 hours I'll make about double that so that's around 2000 a month, down here in Miami that's a lot more than most minimum wage jobs

Steve Joseph

Well I drive in Miami for about 20 hours a week, after expenses I take about 250 a week, if I was to drive 40 hours I'll make about double that so that's around 2000 a month, down here in Miami that's a lot more than most minimum wage jobs
EDITED -

So it seemed like a pretty good salary for Miami since I used to live there and cost of living is lower than many other cities(at least compared to up North) but curious to know what profit looks like with the formula UberNorthStar mentioned?

Last edited: