• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

green pea with a few questions - help if you can plz

Riser

Hello everyone,

Below are a few questions I hope some kind soul can help me with. If you feel that I should read every single thread on here (which I already read many before joining) to find answers to each, plz kindly click the back button.

I just started uber yesterday and did like 4 trips around roxbury, dorchester and hydepark just to get started. I have some questions you guys might be able to help me with.

1. If you could only work 3 days, 12-16 hours on each of those days, what days would you work and what time would you start?

2. How do you know when surge is in an area?

3. Do you go online as soon as you leave your house or do you drive to a particular spot first and then go online? Also, where are the best/most busy areas to be?

4. How do you manage food when working long hours? Bring something with you or just eat at the closest restaurant you can find?

5. Does the Uber app keeps a track of my mileage for taxes or do I need a separate app for that?

Thx a lot in advance.

Riser

DudeGuy

With all due respect, there is a search function. Also, lots of your questions can be answered by trial and error. Surge happens when there are less drivers than passenger requests, so many drivers aren't willing to tell you where to drive. But using some common sense should help you out. I mean, do you think driving around the financial district at 9 pm will yield a lot of rides?

Welcome, and best of luck to you!

Veal66

Golfermack Look who woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning...

Hello everyone,

Below are a few questions I hope some kind soul can help me with. If you feel that I should read every single thread on here (which I already read many before joining) to find answers to each, plz kindly click the back button.

I just started uber yesterday and did like 4 trips around roxbury, dorchester and hydepark just to get started. I have some questions you guys might be able to help me with.

1. If you could only work 3 days, 12-16 hours on each of those days, what days would you work and what time would you start?

3. Do you go online as soon as you leave your house or do you drive to a particular spot first and then go online? Also, where are the best/most busy areas to be?

4. How do you manage food when working long hours? Bring something with you or just eat at the closest restaurant you can find?

5. Does the Uber app keeps a track of my mileage for taxes or do I need a separate app for that?

Thx a lot in advance.

Riser
I'll address a couple of your questions, but not all. Read this board and you will find a lot of useful information. And: as others have said - - Boston and the surrounding area is a tough place to drive for someone who is inexperienced. Some practice early on a Saturday or Sunday morning mastering the various tunnel entrances and exits, Storrow entrances and exits, financial district, etc would be wise.

1. If you could only work 3 days, 12-16 hours on each of those days, what days would you work and what time would you start? Do what works for you. Is it $$ you are after regardless of sleep, or dealing with the worst examples of pax? or are you looking for early mornings/day work and having the evenings and weekends off?

2. How do you know when surge is in an area? The driver app will show you on the map with orange/red coloring in surge areas.

3. Do you go online as soon as you leave your house or do you drive to a particular spot first and then go online? Also, where are the best/most busy areas to be? There is a destination filter on the app which you can use. Say you live 30 miles outside of boston. Turn on the destination filter when leaving your house on the way into boston and catch rides on the way in. Or at least you will be able to count those miles for a taxable deduction. The best areas are a closely guarded secret and you only know them by trial and error. :smiles:

A restaurant I think is a big waste of money and it will be dead time instead of earning time. Pack some homemade sandwiches/food and bring something to drink from home.

5. Does the Uber app keeps a track of my mileage for taxes or do I need a separate app for that? The Uber app does not keep track, although they will tell you what your paid miles were for the year. I recommend an app to track it.

Thx a lot in advance. That will be $30. Private message me on how to deliver.

Hello everyone,

Thx a lot in advance.

Riser
1. the days you work, if you drive in a mostly residential area, Fri-Sun is probably best
2. A surge area appears as an orange blob on the map. Don't bother driving to the area if it will take you more than a minute to get to elsewise it's a waste of time and gas
3. depends on where you want to drive. You'll learn
4. It's up to you. If you buy, how many fares do you need to make up for the expense
5. Get a separate app. Uber only tracks mileage between the points where the rider enters the vehicle and leaves the vehicle or put another way from the time you start the trip until you end it.

DudeGuy

The advice on tunnels is important, as most phones lose the gps signal in them, and take a few seconds to catch up when exiting. This is especially relevant when the gps tells you to take an exit in x number of miles, but the exit then forks still in the tunnel. Without a GPS signal, the directions get stuck at "take Exit xyz" and you either need to know which way to go, or pull up the list instead of the map...

AuxCordBoston

Hello everyone,

Thx a lot in advance.

Riser
You just have to get out there and do it!

Shrimpy

Start in an area you are comfortable in . Turn on the app . On job training, should take about a week. to figure things out .

Veal66

lol, actually I was still in bed when I wrote that.

Tell the truth, do you welcome more drivers?
In general, I wish people well when they are making an attempt to start a new job or engaging in work to be self-reliant. Do unto others, that sort of thing. It's more a sentiment about that than specifically for Uber drivers.

Tandjsmomma

Hello everyone,

Thx a lot in advance.

Riser
Hello everyone,

Thx a lot in advance.

Riser

you will do just fine. Take some time to just figure it out for you. Everyone seems to work the system a bit different. Welcome aboard!

BostonTaxiDriver

The advice on tunnels is important, as most phones lose the gps signal in them, and take a few seconds to catch up when exiting. This is especially relevant when the gps tells you to take an exit in x number of miles, but the exit then forks still in the tunnel. Without a GPS signal, the directions get stuck at "take Exit xyz" and you either need to know which way to go, or pull up the list instead of the map...
Yes yes yes.

I've mentioned often my confused, elderly, low-rated (4.2) Lyft driver last month who lost his GPS signal, it seems, and missed the 93 North to Storrow Exit 26!

He went the wrong way at the fork, and we needed to go to the Museum of Science and turn back.

I still get confused, despite my years of cab driving, in areas I don't travel often.

But one cannot/must not ever MUSS Storrow from 93 North!

Practice various scenarios early any Sunday a.m.!

Monday early mornings are obviously busier for airport runs.

Logan, at least for cabs, is very slow weekdays 9 am to 2 pm or more.

Sunday nights and Thursday nights have the busiest late-night flights except if a Monday holiday. Same for South Station bus, generally.

Golfermack

In general, I wish people well when they are making an attempt to start a new job or engaging in work to be self-reliant. Do unto others, that sort of thing. It's more a sentiment about that than specifically for Uber drivers.
My question was specifically about welcoming more Uber drivers. Do you really welcome more Uber drivers and wish them well? Or, are you just saying that to be PC?

You do realize the more drivers that join Uber, the less surging, pings and pay for existing drivers, don't you?

Veal66

My question was specifically about welcoming more Uber drivers. Do you really welcome more Uber drivers and wish them well? Or, are you just saying that to be PC?
If someone introduces themselves and says they are starting to drive for Uber, I will genuinely wish them well. If you think I'm foolish, fine. Don't care.

That being said, I've never recruited anyone to be a driver, for Uber's bonus offers or otherwise. When people ask me about the job, I'm real with them regarding it's pro's and cons as I see them.

You do realize the more drivers that join Uber, the less surging, pings and pay for existing drivers, don't you?
Of course I know that. So what? Wishing the occasional new driver on this board to do well won't change that arc one way or the other. Not to mention how many new drivers quit within 2 months (and new ones come on, etc.). We all know this.

DaBa40

Relax. There is plenty of money for all of us.

Golfermack

Relax. There is plenty of money for all of us.
You're a newbie with a lot to learn.
First off, I'm very relaxed. I'm in South Florida on a four month vacation.

From what I've read on this forum, you're in a very small minority if you think "there is plenty of money for all of us".
Here's some reading for you:
https://uberpeople.net/threads/the-ants-and-their-markings.130438/

https://uberpeople.net/threads/first-day-back-but-ants-everywhere.131047/

https://uberpeople.net/threads/hows-the-morning-so-far.132017/#post-1947770

I didn't see anyone saying "there is plenty of money to go around" in those threads.

If someone introduces themselves and says they are starting to drive for Uber, I will genuinely wish them well. If you think I'm foolish, fine. Don't care.

That being said, I've never recruited anyone to be a driver, for Uber's bonus offers or otherwise. When people ask me about the job, I'm real with them regarding it's pro's and cons as I see them.
Sounds like you talk out of both sides of your mouth.

DaBa40

You're a newbie with a lot to learn.
First off, I'm very relaxed. I'm in South Florida on a four month vacation.

From what I've read on this forum, you're in a very small minority if you think "there is plenty of money for all of us".
Here's some reading for you:
https://uberpeople.net/threads/the-ants-and-their-markings.130438/

https://uberpeople.net/threads/first-day-back-but-ants-everywhere.131047/

https://uberpeople.net/threads/hows-the-morning-so-far.132017/#post-1947770

I didn't see anyone saying "there is plenty of money to go around" in those threads.

Sounds like you talk out of both sides of your mouth.

Enjoy your vacation man.