GPS

Jefg1110

Did anyone besides me have horrendous problems Friday and today from 5a -9am with GPS and server issues. They seemed to crash after each pickup.

Nitedriver

no, but I use Google maps and I believe it's @@@@@@ed software written by @@@@@@ed programmers..
it gives me the weirdest routes , I might use mapquest soon..

Nitedriver

wanted to download waze, but file is very big, usual cellphone has 8gb, think it's gonna use up space too much ??

bobby747

well i am going to give some advice...google maps works great 99% of the time and if you follow it with uber most of the times it will take you in longer distance and you earn more. fact. check it for yourself.

CMHUL

Today, October 22, Saturday. GPS blurred and slacking on all apps, Waze, Maps, Uber, and Lyft. All the maps lagging by minutes. Customers confirm. Careful out there tonight.

Nitedriver

Am I right or wrong to say that google maps is a messed up software written by drunken software programmers ?? for example : local street with to light signals, google maps would take you to the highway because it thinks it's faster, also the baby streets in Philly , huge huge problems, again I haven't tried waze because of the large file download..

Jesse36

Waze is the best. That said it sometimes has issues too. It has multiple times taken me on crazy routes, but avoided much traffic.
Tip, set to fastest route setting.

CMHUL

I will search, but if anyone knows of a thread whose purpose is to keep a current list of GPS oddities by locale, I would appreciate the tip. For example,

1. Google Maps is currently unaware that 17th Ave is closed for the month of October, between 4th and the freeway (I-71), at the fairgrounds for the Quarterhorse Congress, making it impossible to get to the freeway from campus via 17th.

2. She is also unaware that Joyce Ave is closed southbound from Hudson.

3. She also seems to think that it is possible to get to the Greyhound terminal from High St via Town, which has not been possible since Columbus Commons went in.

CMHUL

I would like to apologize for the prior post - I have no idea how I got to the Philly forum, or how that is even possible when logged in. The information posted is for Columbus, and I will move it there.

bobby747

let me see a 3.6 surge
my way 3.9 miles
googles was 5.1 miles .
which way you taking.
ACCORDING TO MY SMART PHONE GOOGLE IS TAKING THE BETTER ROUTE. MR CHEAP PAX,...who takes pools to the yunk for $4 and brags about it. bus is $4 also for 2
so full timers use wase and lose $100 a week....or use waze for camara red lights in traffic and back round

Stray cat

Had UberX ping to pick up a guy in Lansdowne yesterday off Lansdowne Avenue to a little street with townhouse apartments. I turned onto the listed street, found the address, and app reads "rider notified." I kill time by making a u-turn. No pax appear yet. Texted pax that I'm there. No reply. Drove up to Lansdowne Avenue to double-check I correctly read street name? Yup. Drive back down driveway.

At some point, I notice that the GPS seems to be showing route to pax to be at next driveway up Lansdowne Avenue even though im at the address typed on my screen.

Just then, pax calls me. Confirms he's at the next driveway up Lansdowne. I loop around and there he comes hobbling up the driveway to my car.

He's a 60-something guy. Maybe unfamiliar with texting? I told him I had texted him. He had no reaction to that.

Guy began ranting how the Uber Nav keeps directing drivers to the wrong address. Claims he types in his different address for pick up but GPS Nav gives us wrong address every time. I should have asked him why not just call me when first notified by app I'm nearby since he knows it keeps happening rather than waste each others' time for four minutes while he's hopping up and down out of my sight fifty yards away.

Then he rants how Uber repeatedly has charged him cancellation fees after previous drivers have driven away from listed wrong address on our screens after five minutes. He asks me if we really can do that without calling him first? I agreed it'd be nice if we called him though, like I said, nothing prevents him from sensibly calling us as well since he's more familiar than us with the alleged glitch.

Pax tells me it's "disgraceful" that we can earn cancellation fees off him without calling him first. He asks my opinion on drivers doing that to him. I suggested he can notify Uber about the glitch and attempt refund of fees.

Told him "ethically" it might not be right. However, I told him he should understand we get many other pax pings on our end who end up wasting our time, showing us no consideration, so we get hardened to such scenarios. I further explained that we're independent contractors so it's a decision on an individual basis how we want to handle it.

I explained that I primarily gave him the benefit of the doubt upon noticing how my route to the address given me did not match the visual map route on my app screen so I suspected I might have been waiting at the wrong location.

Guy calmed down after awhile. One of my first pax to read an old-fashioned newspaper on the ride. No tip, naturally. Gave the old guy four stars.

Last edited: