GPS issues today.

ET1062

Worked this morning in the snow storm and my Uber GPS, Waze snd Google maps wouldn’t work. Any suggestions?

jaystonepk

Don't work in a snowstorm? These apps all rely on satellites to triangulate your position so if the weather was bad your phone may have had a difficult time getting a signal.

jaystonepk

Any GPS device needs a satellite to work. Unless you are a flat-earther, then all bets are off.

Who know where each device gets the signal from though. So while one specific device may not be getting a signal, another might be. Not at all bad advice to keep a backup device handy. I have one in my console.

ShinyAndChrome

Any GPS device needs a satellite to work. Unless you are a flat-earther, then all bets are off.

Who know where each device gets the signal from though. So while one specific device may not be getting a signal, another might be. Not at all bad advice to keep a backup device handy. I have one in my console.
Some may also be more sensitive. I have a drone I built and it picks up several GPS signals before it gives me a good-to-go. I can see real-time how many satellites it has picked up (generally 7 or so).

The Russian glonass system can work when GPS can't (but not because of weather, since both require a sat signal), but I don't know if there are any consumer nav systems in north america that support it.

And that's my marginally on-topic rambling for the afternoon.