• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

GPS brings me to a house backdoor.

AlexMax

Way too often GPS (google maps) brings me to a correct address but instead of pointing me to a frontdoor it gives me clear direction to a backdoor.
Here it is most recent example
address: 1326 Dundas St E, Toronto, ON
google maps: link
GPS brought me exactly to the back alley of the house where you can see the marker.
Did you have the same situation during your trips?
Is it possible to avoid/eliminate this situation from happening again?
Is the Waze better?

Thank you.

Lolinator

Way too often GPS (google maps) brings me to a correct address but instead of pointing me to a frontdoor it gives me clear direction to a backdoor.
Here it is most recent example
address: 1326 Dundas St E, Toronto, ON
google maps: link
GPS brought me exactly to the back alley of the house where you can see the marker.
Did you have the same situation during your trips?
Is it possible to avoid/eliminate this situation from happening again?
Is the Waze better?

Thank you.
I always follow GPS and its always right

Maybe an Uber setting

Delete the app and reibstall

yurik

Welcome to the world of traing our brainchild - our young Uber, as every AI is still learning.
It so happens that you are one of the teachers or servants of this new entity living among us.
Some time in the past a bycicle mounted uber partner made a delivery to the airbnb apartment above the address, and 3 minutes were saved.
Young AI Uber sent you there as it did send numerous other partner-drivers who mentioned nothing, and were quite happy, as well as riders.
All Hail Uber!

Retox

Yes have that situation from time to time.
Yes, you can avoid/eliminate by using common sense and not blindly follow gps.
(eg if it tells you to drive into a lake, will you?)
Pretty much this. When you are almost arriving at dundas street east address yet the app takes you to a different street, you might want to reconsider and use some common sense instead. I've been in those situations, but I was definitely tired and simply blindly followed Waze.

imsam

Here is the rule of thumb that you should always follow.

Before driving off when the pax is in the car, take about 5 quick seconds to read the destination address on the Uber's app.

If it's something like 4532 Bloor St East. Then remember it that it'll be most likely on the Bloor St. Because the GPS might go to the backdoor.

Or you can say things like before you arrive to the destination,

"Is it on Bloor St?", often you'll get a clear answer. If they don't answer or don't know, go to the Bloor St front side anyway.

ryan137

If GPS is trying to take you to a street that doesn't match the listed address, 99% of the time the address is correct and you should ignore the extra instructions. This especially goes for Waze. I often switch back to Uber app just before reaching the destination because most of the time Uber will show the correct street but Waze might show an alleyway. This is because Uber only sends the GPS coordinates to Waze, not the actual address. Unlike Lyft, which does send the address to Waze.

Yam Digger

It’s the driver app that’s causing this. It sends the GPS coordinates to Google Maps and Waze for an alternate stopping place if the address has No Stopping / No Standing signs in front of it.

I can understand why Uber would do this; but it only ends up creating more confusion.

AlexMax

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
...an alternate stopping place if the address has No Stopping / No Standing signs in front of it.
It is possible reason of this 'strange' GPS behavior, but the sample address (1326 Dundas St E, Toronto, ON) does not support this idea. There are no No Stopping / No Standing signs near 1326 Dundas E, even more there is parking lane in from of 1326 Dundas E. Pls see google street view
So definitely it is some other reason for that 'strange' GPS behavior.