• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Government shut-down = more drivers?

johnydynamic

If this government shut-down drags on, I bet we’ll see a large influx of new drivers. Particularly in towns with significant government presence, eg DC.

A quick internet search indicates that the number of federal employees furloughed may be as many as 800,000. If only 10% start driving ride-share, that would be 80,000 new drivers.

johnydynamic

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh geez, just what we need more brain dead zombies on the road playing demolition derby, but on the bright side at least the MORON in the White House is giving us great comedy relief.
It would be great comedy relief if it were funny. It’s the great national nightmare. I feel for those 800,000 people who aren’t getting paid because Clowny Boy wants his wall. Knowing him, he probably thinks his company will build it, cover it in gold, and put a big giant “TRUMP” on it.

B8B73D80-0B6D-44A8-B20C-0B1082286283.jpeg
The most powerful man in the world...

peteyvavs

The figure is higher than 800,000 federal employees, federal contractors total another million plus, now the people have 0 income to spend at stores, so sooner or later retailers will be forced to lay-off another couple of million. Putin is so proud of the brainless man/baby.

grayspinner

Federal workers not furloughed are working without pay. It's been 3 weeks. The average American is 2 paychecks away from homelessness. So even those still working are taking extra jobs to pay bills.

JimKE

I'm looking for Trump to issue some kind of order for all federal workers to be paid during the shutdown. It would be a simple matter to just issue their direct deposits tomorrow as if nothing had happened, and the missing paychecks are the horror story the Dems are counting on to force Trump to cave.

The fact is that neither side wants to solve either the border security problem or the Dreamer mess. The "deal" is right in front of their noses -- Dreamer accommodation for some money for the "wall" -- but they BOTH would rather fight.

The fact is that both parties are making so much money fundraising off the shutdown that neither wants to end it.

JimKE

The figure is higher than 800,000 federal employees, federal contractors total another million plus
I kind of doubt that government contractors are not being paid. Companies contract with the government to provide certain services, and they hire their own employees to do the work. That work continues during a shutdown in most cases.

The collateral damage that actually occurs during a shutdown is with groups like concession operators at closed national parks. If a park is closed, the lodges are closed, the gift shops and restaurants are closed, the tours don't operate, etc. Those are the real casualties in a shutdown -- the government employees will end up getting paid for NOT working, but the non-government workers will not.

johnydynamic

I'm looking for Trump to issue some kind of order for all federal workers to be paid during the shutdown. It would be a simple matter to just issue their direct deposits tomorrow as if nothing had happened
That would presume that the people who process payments are not among those furloughed.

I didn’t intend for this to become a political discussion.

Uber/Lyft is among the lowest barrier-to-entry ways to make money. On top of that, Uber/Lyft have convinced many of the uninitiated into believing that they might make good money doing it. Throw many tens of thousands of people without paychecks into the mix and we may find ourselves with a sudden flood of competition that could drive our already basement-scraping driving income down even further.

New2This

I'm in the D.C. area. I do afternoon rush hour (with DF) sometimes. This week has been brutal. MUCH less demand.

Also had a few riders say they've had drivers that were furloughed Ubering to make ends meet.

BikingBob

Don't forget that while these people have only missed one paycheck so far if they're paid bi-weekly - they also have looming credit card payments due for the prior holiday.

I actually know a handful of Government employees and 2 of them are driving now. One in DC, one in Baltimore. Others have said that MARC is so empty now you have 8-10 people in a train car.

JimKE

That would presume that the people who process payments are not among those furloughed.
They're not. The rest of the government is being paid.

If Trump wanted to pay the furloughed employees, I'm sure a way could be found to do so. If the Dems wanted to pay the furloughed employees, I'm sure a way could be found to do so.

But neither side wants a solution.

I didn’t intend for this to become a political discussion.
Well, it's an inherently political discussion. Also, someone posted a clown-face photoshop in Post #3, and whoever did that immediately made this a political discussion. :rolleyes:

Oh wait...that was YOU who posted the clown face!

Uber/Lyft is among the lowest barrier-to-entry ways to make money. On top of that, Uber/Lyft have convinced many of the uninitiated into believing that they might make good money doing it. Throw many tens of thousands of people without paychecks into the mix and we may find ourselves with a sudden flood of competition that could drive our already basement-scraping driving income down even further.
True, but this will be resolved and the government workers will return to their better-paying jobs. No long-term effect at all, and very little short-term effect to any one individual driver.

Don't forget that while these people have only missed one paycheck so far if they're paid bi-weekly - they also have looming credit card payments due for the prior holiday.
They didn't miss the first paycheck. US Government paychecks come one pay period later. They had worked the PP that was paid two weeks ago, so they got paid on 12/28 as scheduled.

Tomorrow will be the first check they will miss.

New2This

I actually know a handful of Government employees and 2 of them are driving now. One in DC, one in Baltimore. Others have said that MARC is so empty now you have 8-10 people in a train car.
The only good thing is traffic has been a breeze lol

johnydynamic

They're not. The rest of the government is being paid.

Well, it's an inherently political discussion. Also, someone posted a clown-face photoshop in Post #3, and whoever did that immediately made this a political discussion. :rolleyes:

Oh wait...that was YOU who posted the clown face!
Actually, it was poster #2 who made it a political discussion. I then continued it as such.

Steve_TX

I guarantee you that Congress set it up so that those who process paychecks for the gov't are NOT furloughed. Otherwise, how would Congressmen/women get their paychecks during the gov't shutdown? This whole debacle is an absolute argument for term limits.

wonderfulcarscent

I'm looking for Trump to issue some kind of order for all federal workers to be paid during the shutdown. It would be a simple matter to just issue their direct deposits tomorrow as if nothing had happened, and the missing paychecks are the horror story the Dems are counting on to force Trump to cave.

The fact is that neither side wants to solve either the border security problem or the Dreamer mess. The "deal" is right in front of their noses -- Dreamer accommodation for some money for the "wall" -- but they BOTH would rather fight.

The fact is that both parties are making so much money fundraising off the shutdown that neither wants to end it.
Democrats want to reopen government no strings attached just without a wall.

JimKE

Democrats want to reopen government no strings attached just without a wall.
Trump wants to reopen government with no strings attached, just with funding for part of a wall, or barrier, or whatever we're calling it this evening.

Truth be told, NEITHER side wants the government reopened. If they did, it would be open.