• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Gotten Real Quiet Here, has everyone Quit?

Disgusted Driver

Not hearing a peep from anyone and it's the start of the brutal Summer, even the McCartney concert sucked with the new surge. I'm sitting home waiting for select pings, got 11 all last week!!

Seems like the Uber software is screwed too, took one call on a destination filter and it took me 20, yes 20!!! miles in the exact opposite direction. Uber tells me tough, they won't pay for the error in their software, getting ready to go put it on facebook to give them $20 worth of bad press. Also, screen shot ALL of your no show cancels before you cancel, I am having an impossible time getting them to pay me for one, it's hard arguing with stupid.

Miss all (well almost all) of you!

Not hearing a peep from anyone and it's the start of the brutal Summer, even the McCartney concert sucked with the new surge. I'm sitting home waiting for select pings, got 11 all last week!!

Seems like the Uber software is screwed too, took one call on a destination filter and it took me 20, yes 20!!! miles in the exact opposite direction. Uber tells me tough, they won't pay for the error in their software, getting ready to go put it on facebook to give them $20 worth of bad press. Also, screen shot ALL of your no show cancels before you cancel, I am having an impossible time getting them to pay me for one, it's hard arguing with stupid.

Miss all (well almost all) of you!
I had one ride from the concert last night - probably the best experience I've had picking up from PNC (passengers actually using the message function to let me know what pickup zone they were in! Who'd have thunk it???"). They were going from PNC to one of the hotels near Crabtree. I got $13 surge and ended up getting $18.32 plus $11.00 in (cash) tip. Flat surge flat out sucks, especially for last call anymore, but that wasn't a bad little ride, especially compared to my jaunt down to Fort Bragg yesterday.

Disgusted Driver

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had one ride from the concert last night - probably the best experience I've had picking up from PNC (passengers actually using the message function to let me know what pickup zone they were in! Who'd have thunk it???"). They were going from PNC to one of the hotels near Crabtree. I got $13 surge and ended up getting $18.32 plus $11.00 in (cash) tip. Flat surge flat out sucks, especially for last call anymore, but that wasn't a bad little ride, especially compared to my jaunt down to Fort Bragg yesterday.
Good with the tip! I got the fancy pants folks on Select, staying at the Ulmstead Hotel, ordered the backstage pass, so you know they spent big big bucks, for this and you know what tip I got? Nothing on a $16 ride. They probably spent 2K on their event and couldn't come up with a $5.

Good with the tip! I got the fancy pants folks on Select, staying at the Ulmstead Hotel, ordered the backstage pass, so you know they spent big big bucks, for this and you know what tip I got? Nothing on a $16 ride. They probably spent 2K on their event and couldn't come up with a $5.
That. Blows. My Bragg story from yesterday - I'm doing airport runs and get a ping from Terminal 2. I head over and it's a GI headed back to Fort Bragg. He hasn't been based there long so he's not sure what's up but he thinks between my trade dress and his military ID we should be good to go. I've never driven to Bragg before and I grew up near a military base (pre-9/11, mind you) so I figured that sounded about right so off we go. About 90 minutes later we get to the gate Google Maps directs me to and I (dumbly, mistakenly) assumed must be the gate to use. So we pull up to the guard post and this Private First Class asks me for my documents. I hand him my driver's license and the passenger's military ID. That's not good enough. "Where's your pass? If you're driving Uber down here why don't you have one?" I explain to PFC Pizzaface that I'm not from Fayetteville and I've never had a passenger going to Bragg before. He talks to a civilian guard working the other guard shack for a second and tells me I need to go to the Visitor's Center at the All American gate. He gives me a ton of confusing directions ("Turn around and go to the green sign and turn right. Go to the other green sign and turn right. Then two or three streets later turn right..."). I put "Fort Bragg Visitor's Center" into Google Maps, get an address on All American Way and figure that's where he's trying to direct me.

10 minutes later I'm at the Visitor's Center - sort of a small building. My passenger thinks I can just approach the gate but my Spidey-Sense (ant Sense?) tells me I need to go in and I'm right. So I leave the car parked and run in. 5-7 minutes later, I have my newly printed visitor's pass and then roll up to *THIS* gate. The civilian guard looks at my pass, my driver's license, my passenger's ID, then my driver's license some more. "Where are your glasses?" "Sorry sir?" "Your glasses. It says here you wear corrective lenses." "Uh...yes, sir, I do. I wear contacts." "Oh. Then why does it say corrective lenses?" "Because my contacts correct my vision?" Seemingly placated he lets me through and I go to my passenger's destination (a physical fitness center not too far from the gate) and drop him off.

For all the hoops I had to jump through (plus the fact that I'll likely be deadheading back to Raleigh) I expected a decent tip and was rewarded by our intrepid paratrooper with...a grand sum of $5.00. 150 miles, 3 hours (1.5 of which were non-revenue generating), plus fuel for $68.00.

So learn my lesson kids - no matter where your Army passenger going to Bragg tells you is his destination, make sure you put in the Fort Bragg Visitor's Center as your destination. Make damned sure he has *his* ID (both guards essentially said they needed his ID to make sure he was who he said he was) and make sure you properly educate them on the fact that your trip back is likely going to be deadhead.

HobbesandCalvin

Airport was hopping last night while the ants flocked to PNC. Made some good cheese on good surges until after PNC died, when 45 cars suddenly appeared at midnight. That’s my cue to head home. Weekend was pretty solid too.

Disgusted Driver

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had a soldier a couple of years ago who for into the airport at almost midnight and was AWOL for all intents and purposes. I felt like I had to do the right thing and get him down there so if we go, I drop him at the gate get $90 for the trip, (rates were higher), get a 1 star for my troubles because I couldn't get him on base and got home at 2:30am when I had to be at my day job at 9. Let no good deed go unpunished!

RaleighUber440

I had a similar experience with the DF a month ago. One time from Chapel Hill, it took me to Durham, and then from Duke to Southpoint.. Theoretically it was in the correct direction, but they expanded the radius so that I would have to take a detour northeast and southeast, before going completely east. To sum it up, it certainly didn’t feel like the original DF. It was so bad that I just ignored the rest of the pings and bolted home. It was super annoying. Hope I don’t go thru that again.

I’ve detoxed from Uber since the school year ended. Been pursuing my plan b, but when I have been working, it’s been busier than usual for this time of the year. The flat surge is definitely flattening the fun though. If we still had the multiplier, things wouldn’t be as bad as they appear. The funny thing is that I’m starting to like the new app during the summer slowdown. The “you’re in a busy area, expect trips soon” lets me know I’m getting screwed or another driver just took my ride!! So if it’s slow for me, it reminds me that it isn’t always slow for Uber. Summer is just getting started though, and unfortunately the worst is still yet to come.

RaleighUber440

Sometime in 2014. It was worth it until a couple months ago when the multiplier has been taken away. I'm not wasting my time/gas on base fares that is chump change.
I totally hear ya there, mate. Rideshare gone bad. I know this sounds really naive, but I’m kinda missing Travis. I mean, all these changes seem to be extra bad these days.

Do you think it would be better, the same, or worse if Travis was still running the show?

Last edited:

Idrive4Uber80

I totally hear ya there, mate. Rideshare gone bad. I know this sounds really naive, but I’m kinda missing Travis. I mean, all these changes seem to be extra bad these days.
Ha, good point! I'll take the no need to tip if the multiplier was still there. I can care less about this uber pro which is pointless imo. The problem is these guys will always find desperate drivers who will work for a few dollars and don't mind waiting at rdu for more than an hour with 50 plus in queue.

RaleighUber440

Ha, good point! I'll take the no need to tip if the multiplier was still there. I can care less about this uber pro which is pointless imo. The problem is these guys will always find desperate drivers who will work for a few dollars and don't mind waiting at rdu for more than an hour with 50 plus in queue.
I can’t get over all the ants burning their ACs waiting at RDU for a $3.00 or base fare to Cary or East Bum@@@@.

Atlwarrior

I started in 2014 over 3,000 trips and 4.96 driver rating. I’ve cut back my weekend driving by 90%, especially since the old surge and prime model is gone. No way I’m dealing with pax when Uber takes 60% of the surge that use to go to driver earnings. Uber and Lyft has lost a good driver here. I want be doing the College games anymore either.

Idrive4Uber80

I started in 2014 over 3,000 trips and 4.96 driver rating. I’ve cut back my weekend driving by 90%, especially since the old surge and prime model is gone. No way I’m dealing with pax when Uber takes 60% of the surge that use to go to driver earnings. Uber and Lyft has lost a good driver here. I want be doing the College games anymore either.
I'm with you my friend. I always had a high rating, got tons of those stupid badges and a shit ton of compliments from riders. Uber can care less about loyalty and keeping good people. They just want a cheap fare for riders at the driver's expense and now want a larger profit which also cheats the driver. Oh well, no need to stress it. I'm not gonna fight a battle I can't win.

Idrive4Uber80

Actually made some money last night. First time in awhile I hit $200 in one night. Worked from 11p-3a both Uber and Lyft. Not getting my hopes up though for any type of consistency with that. I probably just got lucky with some decent surge and zone bonus bs. Is it just me or are more people tipping now?