• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Got sideswiped at the airport !!!

ANT 7

It's inevitable with Uber/Lyft.

Even if you do everything right, which I have for 14 months and 4,000 rides, lightning will strike you from somewhere. I wasn't at fault, and my insurance is making me whole. I just came back from a vacation too, and now I'm on holiday's again LOL !!!

Probably won't be driving for 6 weeks at least. In the interim, I may decide to look for something else to do, Uber is getting boring to be honest, and I am tired of their BS and especially the app throttling driver's incomes. There are a billion software jobs in my market right now, or, I can go back into a sales job again.

I was parked in the curbside departures lane with my car shut off, four way flashers on, and the door open. Turn around to talk to the pax for 5 + seconds, turn my head back and get ready to exit when BAM.......along comes a Toyota truck driven by a 26 year old who is borrowing her father's vehicle and she hits my door, twisting it and damaging the entire door frame/skin and L/F fender. Pax says to me I was lucky that wasn't me in the way. A few seconds difference. I was able to bend the door backwards and now the door opens and closes, but it sounds like I am opening up a 3,000 pound tuna can when doing so.

KIA 1.jpg
KIA 3.jpg

Last edited:

Gtown Driver

I was parked in the curbside departures lane with my car shut off, four way flashers on, and the door open. Turn around to talk to the pax for 5 + seconds, turn my head back and get ready to exit when BAM.......along comes a Toyota truck driven by a 26 year old who is borrowing her father's vehicle and she hits my door, twisting it and damaging the entire door frame/skin and L/F fender. Pax says to me I was lucky that wasn't me in the way. A few seconds difference. I was able to bend the door backwards and now the door opens and closes, but it sounds like I am opening up a 3,000 pound tuna can when doing so.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you could have avoided this by looking through your side mirror or back window before exiting the car. I'd like to know what exactly you were about to exit the car for as well. Doesn't sound like this was a "did everything right" scenario.

Condolences either way and yeah, Uber is no longer fun if your goal is to pay bills with it. The pay is at a point where it will only be fun for me again if I can only do it on Lux to get Ruth Chris money.

OldBay

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I'm glad that the insurance is actually going to take care of it.
So what is the verdict on this re insurance?

If someone opens their door into another lane of traffic, the person who hits the door is the one at fault?

That is very concerning as a driver, as that is more likely to happen than for me to open a door into traffic.

ANT 7

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It depends on the motor vehicle traffic act where you live and it's rules.

In my case I was a "stationary object" therefore, the other driver is automatically at fault.

Secondly, as I was "legally parked" in a designated drop off area, the whole thing is a non-issue for me.

YMMV.........

Another Uber Driver

If someone opens their door into another lane of traffic, the person who hits the door is the one at fault?
It depends on the motor vehicle traffic act where you live and it's rules
YMMV.........

If he is carrying full coverage, his policy will respond regardless of fault.. He may be subject to surcharge upon renewal or non-renewal.

In the District of Columbia, the person who opens the door into traffic is held responsible, regardless of the vehicle's moving or not. In fact, if the passenger in a private vehicle opens the door into traffic, the passenger, NOT the driver, is held responsible. This is a departure from the usual, but, it is the case in many jurisdiction in the U.S. of A.

Perhaps in the province in which he lives, the law defines his vehicle as a "stationary object", regardless of the motion of parts of said vehicle. In the case of a stationary object, the driver of the striking vehicle is almost always held responsible, even if said driver swears that the tree or lightpost moved.

TXUbering

I almost took the doors off of some idiot at the airport yesterday. The dope and his passenger swung their door wide open and into the lane I was driving in. In hindsight, I should've just taken their doors out as the last time I swerved to avoid an idiot, I wound up hitting the car in the other lane and it became my fault. I'm not sure how some idiots can manage to open their doors beyond the lane that they're in, but it happens frequently at this particular airport. Not saying that's what you did, but I've seen plenty of Uber drivers driving like asshats at the airport.

ANT 7

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We have extra wide curbside parking lanes and clearly defined lines marking the driving lanes.

But still......no one should be driving 2' from a parked car anyways, anywhere.

Gtown Driver

We have extra wide curbside parking lanes and clearly defined lines marking the driving lanes.

But still......no one should be driving 2' from a parked car anyways, anywhere.
That's the thing. I live in MoCo MD and anything is possible, anytime. You have to know that if you are on the road you will get hit any way, anyhow. You can't assume anything out here and everyone talks about how terrible the drivers are here. It's something you will just know and automatically brace yourself for. There is no "oh well they should know not to" here. Everyone will do everything wrong in a car at anytime. If you get hit by a car that's driving in reverse in the oncoming lane...well that's MoCo.

If there's a situation where you shouldn't be getting hit by a car, trust that you will get hit in that situation out here. Have seen people in broad daylight run into 3 parallel parked cars by a college. They were clearly sober, just not paying any all attention. Parallel parking your car out here is asking for it to get hit sadly.

It's why I look around hard as MFer before I get out of a car. It just pays to look around when people drive like nuts as the normal.

Last edited:

Stevie The magic Unicorn

That's the thing. I live in MoCo MD and anything is possible, anytime. You have to know that if you are on the road you will get hit any way, anyhow. You can't assume anything out here and everyone talks about how terrible the drivers are here. It's something you will just know and automatically brace yourself for. There is no "oh well they should know not to" here. Everyone will do everything wrong in a car at anytime. If you get hit by a car that's driving in reverse in the oncoming lane...well that's MoCo.

If there's a situation where you shouldn't be getting hit by a car, trust that you will get hit in that situation out here. Have seen people in broad daylight run into 3 parallel parked cars by a college. They were clearly sober, just not paying any all attention. Parallel parking your car out here is asking for it to get hit sadly.
I've gotten nailed while stopped at a red light, illegally passed/sideswiped while making a left hand turn (while signalling) and lost 3 bumpers WHILE PARKED

It's bad enough to make you really consider insurance issues and not take cash rides.