Got my car booted at McDonald's on Clark & Diversey

S

Snow Angel

I don't usually feel the need to post but wanted to warn all my fellow uber & lyft drivers today about what happened to me when I parked at the McDonald's on Clark & Diversey the place where alot of us go to take our break. I cleaned out the car and walked away to have a smoke for 2 minutes came right back and there was a boot on my car, had to pay $140 to have it removed...ok so my bad but here's the screwed up part the guy was sitting in his black Honda just watching and waiting for the very second you leave. So be aware all drivers that you don't make the same costly mistake I made. Please pass on the word to ever fellow uber & Lyft driver ...

Last edited by a moderator:

BeingStewie

Could you elaborate more on the reason for the boot? was it just for parking violations?

I thought you get a boot if you have outstanding debt with the city.

S

Snow Angel

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
He wasn't city of Chicago worker, he was employed by McDonald's private company they hired to sit in there parking lot to watch us if we walk away from our car

WestSubDriver

He wasn't city of Chicago worker, he was employed by McDonald's private company they hired to sit in there parking lot to watch us if we walk away from our car
So I assume there are "For Use of Customers Only" signs to prevent their property being used as a parking lot. Wouldn't you be ok if you just walked in and bought a $1 soda? Hey, you'd be a McDonalds customer.

S

Snow Angel

I always go in and buy something and planned on it after stretching my legs for a minute and had a quick smoke but I walked off the lot and that's when it happend, I would never just leave my car and take that risk, but all it took was 2 minutes and it cost me $140 so my point is that I didn't want to see anyone else make the same mistake

tohunt4me

Don't you walk away from you car to go into MC Donald's as a customer ???

tohunt4me

So I assume there are "For Use of Customers Only" signs to prevent their property being used as a parking lot. Wouldn't you be ok if you just walked in and bought a $1 soda? Hey, you'd be a McDonalds customer.
A $1.00 soda with bathroom and free refills.

If you're really cheap,buy a hot Apple pie for .50 CENTS.

Homeless will love a hot Apple pie !

S

Snow Angel

I really tried to reason with the guy but he wasn't hearing anything I had to say. He waits in back and watches all the drivers he has a black Honda civic I think like 2006 tinted windows and he's Hispanic around 28-32 years old. I shouldn't of walked away while smoking but it took maybe 60 seconds and he jumped on it. I'm not saying don't go there but just watch your back if you do.

pizza guy

Someone should complain to corporate. Considering most of them have clean bathrooms and really good coffee for the price a lot of drivers do the exact same thing. I usually just Google the closest McDonald's when I need a break.

UberServant

Towing companies in the city are low life scum and use predatory practices like the one this guy described. many private parking lots in the city have look outs just waiting for you to walk off the lot. I picked a young woman up at the strip mall on logan and elston just last week when the same thing happened to her. She said she used a store within the mall but then walked across the road to Panera to get a coffee and came back her car was gone.

S

Snow Angel

It makes you think that no matter how kind and good we are to others, there's always someone lurking around the corner to hurt you for personal gain, and I really hope that McDonald's on Clark & Diversey don't really start screwing with the drivers but who knows!!

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

Towing companies in the city are low life scum and use predatory practices like the one this guy described. many private parking lots in the city have look outs just waiting for you to walk off the lot...
Exactly so! The gentleman OP described most likely does NOT work for McD. Formally or informally, he works for the tow company that has the contract for that lot. Like any guber driver, he's also an Independent Contractor. In this case a Temp Observing Our Lot (i.e. a Tool).

Tow companies pay "bounties" to their network of informers that tip them off to scofflaws (if one does not understand this concept then Google bounties). That friendly coffeehouse barista is on her phone txting her contact watching you cross the street. There's at least one in every Jewel/Target lot. Nobody sits in a parking lot in the blazing sun "waiting" for their partner to do the shopping. They're looking for bounties.

This is a long honored and much celebrated street grift! Seriously peeps, one cannot work in the City and not know these things. It's the Chicago Way. So it was in the beginning, and so it shall ever be.

S

Snow Angel

I certainly have learned a valuable & expensive lesson. I need to be very aware of every step I make working or not. I try really hard to follow all the rules & be respectful and will continue to do so, but I hope my experience can help someone else avoid going through it. $140 lost for someone with a family to feed can truly hurt.

Scurvy

Check to see if the boot is even legal. Illinois State law is specific on the procedures for impounding cars. He may be extrajudicous and illegal. Check with an attorney!

S

Snow Angel

Spending $12.00 for a pack of cigs probably hurts more. If he had quit smoking that day, he'd be up $152.
I don't have to defend why I had a cigarette to anyone, maybe I was having a really stressful day, but if it makes you feel better to put someone down then I do hope nothing bad ever happens in your life. A kind word cost nothing!!