Got kicked out of cell phone lot at BWI!

er111a

A cop came up to me and said "Uber sticker you have to leave". Anyone know if there is a new rule of something that says we cannot park there or something?

Ben105

I can't speak about BWI, but at SMF, we are not aloud to stop and wait anywhere on airport property. We have to go to a service drive a mile or so away from the airport and wait for pings there. Our airport is blocked within a geofence and you can't get any pings inside anyway. We also cannot wait behind the taxi stand (this is where we are required to pick up pax) and can only enter the airport if we're dropping off a pax or if we received a ping from outside the geofence and then can only pick up behind the taxi stand under the pre-reserved ride signs.

simpsonsverytall

A cop came up to me and said "Uber sticker you have to leave". Anyone know if there is a new rule of something that says we cannot park there or something?
Yes, the cell phone lot is supposed to be for friends and family of passengers to park an hour or less to pick up arriving passengers. Commercial vehicles are prohibited.

Uber came in, and us drivers while technically not supposed to be in the cell phone lot, have been allowed to operate there in kind of a 'grey area' thus far.

With Southwest as a hub in BWI, - business has increased. The presence of Uber has also helped increase business by making a more affordable option than longterm parking(much less cab fare) for travelers.

Fast-forward to present day:
Uber has saturated the market , so that now the amount of uber drivers often come close to exceeding capacity of the cell phone lot.
Uber is too dumb and too cheap to shake hands with BWI and have a dedicated lot.

Uber drivers are knuckleheads and park SUVs and X cars along the curbs of the cell phone lot, and then get out of their vehicles to congregate with their homeys in groups.
With the lack of space, the lack of maneuverability, the groups of congregating drivers ,etc... BWI passenger's friends and family have complained and the general circumstances has drawn the attention of police.

So now, it's better to use an alternative spot to wait for a ping. The gas station and mcdonalds are both decent spots, but the uber presence is very heavy there as well and if the cell phone lot does get dispersed -they will be a mess.

Unless the queue is less than 25 minutes, you are probably wiser to head back to Annapolis (or north if an event is taking place) etc.. If you do wait, the best idea is to use an alternate spot other than the cell phone lot.
There are ways to 'blend in' in the cell phone lot as well, without your tradedress and a cell phone holder with your phone lighting at 1000 watts while you stare at your queue time, but lack of trade dress is something that police in the arrivals terminal will logically crack down on next = heads up.

Last edited:

5 Star Guy

You're very lucky. You need to know all of the laws, regulations and rules where you are driving, including the airport. There are places where driving is illegal and they can impound your car or give you thousands in tickets. :eek: Just because no one tells you doesn't mean you don't need to know.

Another Uber Driver

You need to know all of the laws, regulations and rules where you are driving, including the airport. There are places where driving is illegal and they can impound your car or give you thousands in tickets. :eek: Just because no one tells you doesn't mean you don't need to know.
(emphasis mine)

^^^^^^^^^^^This.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ignorantia legis neminem exculpat. Bis vigilibus pertinet.
(loosely translated: "Ignorance of the law is no excuse, that goes double for when the police show up)

nutzareus

BWI is such a crapshoot it could be a very short trip to nearby hotels or right into the city, just like DCA. Not sure why these two airports have so many drivers waiting like it's a UN refugee camp.

Another Uber Driver

BWI is such a crapshoot it could be a very short trip to nearby hotels or right into the city, just like DCA. Not sure why these two airports have so many drivers waiting
That goes double for the cab drivers at National. Even before they built those holding pens for the cab drivers, I never understood why most drivers worked that line. Now that they have those holding pens, it is even worse. I will pass over the fender scraping contests, for now.

To be sure, I know some real pros who work that line and know how to work it. In addition, they have alternatives if they get back to the line at the wrong time. It is too much bother for me. I can make better money in the City. National used to be a pretty good trip. Now, with all of those TNC cars crowding the roads and that mess on the GW Parkway between those trying to go back into the City on the Fourteenth Street Bridge and those trying to get off it and head South on the Parkway, it is not as good as it used to be. If we could get rid of the Harassmen-ER-uh-HACK Inspector at the Station, that would be the better trip. Sadly, the Harassmen-ER-uh-HACK Inspector likes to hang around the Station.

5 Star Guy

Geez I was at Logan in Boston driving a new Ford van to cargo and this taxi was so mad like I was cutting the taxi line on purpose. Yes I was in the wrong lane, relax, I'm not working for Travass in this van and no I didn't cut him off. People are desperate

simpsonsverytall

BWI is such a crapshoot it could be a very short trip to nearby hotels or right into the city, just like DCA. Not sure why these two airports have so many drivers waiting like it's a UN refugee camp.
1. the 'crapshoot' aspect of it is addictive= $10 trip to bmore, $10 trip to bmore, c'mon $28 trip to DC...
2. it's the lazy way= do a trip, drive back to BWI, chill in the cell phone lot for 35min and socialize or sleep, do another trip repeat...

if you get a trip to BWI check the queue time. If it isn't a quick turnaround, get out of there. The people who camp out, ensure that the wait times will not self-regulate. They are happy to camp and congregate even if the the queue is 40min

simpsonsverytall

Geez I was at Logan in Boston driving a new Ford van to cargo and this taxi was so mad like I was cutting the taxi line on purpose. Yes I was in the wrong lane, relax, I'm not working for Travass in this van and no I didn't cut him off. People are desperate
the cab stand and the taxi line, is the last remaining competitive advantage for taxi drivers in some areas...
They defend it like you are taking food out of their mouth.

i made the mistake of picking up from a strip club after 3am one night on Baltimore street ("the block").

1 side of the street was cops , and they quickly pounced and demanded that I move from the curbside of the club doorway to pick up my passenger.

so I swung around and parked on the adjacent side (turned out to be the cab stand of the area).

first a taxi played 'chicken' and sped toward my vehicle at 40mph before veering wide,
Then another taxi driver who I call "Freeway" for his uncanny resemblance to the rapper of the same name, drove toward the rear of my vehicle, exited, and approached me to tell me that "I can't be here, it's the taxi stand". I told him I'm just trying to pay the bills (mistake number 2) so he went out to the center of the street and told the police that I would be shot for being too confrontational.
At that point I should have headed home, but I circled the block, picked up the Pax, and then the worst part - The stripper wanted to talk about Bernie Sanders the whole time ...

er111a

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just want to know what law exactly I was breaking. I saw no signs stating I could not park there. The queue at the time was just 10 minutes so I was not planning to wait long.

5 Star Guy

I just want to know what law exactly I was breaking. I saw no signs stating I could not park there. The queue at the time was just 10 minutes so I was not planning to wait long.
You need to know what your airport regulations are in your area. Those rules only apply to airports so it's not like you're Googling what a stop sign is. Some have paid thousands in tickets and you can get your car impounded. I'm not sure if there is a link on the airport website for information.

Another Uber Driver

Yes, the cell phone lot is supposed to be for friends and family of passengers to park an hour or less to pick up arriving passengers. Commercial vehicles are prohibited.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

While an Uber car is technically a "Vehicle for Hire" as differentiated from a "Commercial Vehicle", ain't no vee-hick-yoolz fer hire allowed in no cell phone lot, neither.

5 Star Guy

Do they really need to add *rideshare / TNC/ or any vehicle you use to make money with and live chickens? :p

Uber_duber

I can't speak about BWI, but at SMF, we are not aloud to stop and wait anywhere on airport property. We have to go to a service drive a mile or so away from the airport and wait for pings there. Our airport is blocked within a geofence and you can't get any pings inside anyway. We also cannot wait behind the taxi stand (this is where we are required to pick up pax) and can only enter the airport if we're dropping off a pax or if we received a ping from outside the geofence and then can only pick up behind the taxi stand under the pre-reserved ride signs.
Don't be driving around with your Uber logos. And don't answer questions from cops. Try to have your passengers sit up front.