Got in a political argument with a pax tonight

AZ-XOEM

Two pax get in, male and female. It's a gay neighborhood. The male immediately starts ranting about politics. Against my better judgement I gave him my two cents. Well that set him off. It was about a five minute ride and he was screaming about Trump and Republicans the whole way. I kept putting jabs in here and there. That just made him angrier.

I wasn't going to 1-star him except that right at the end of the trip he threw in a nazi reference.

About half an hour later I get a pick up at the club where I let him off. I was worried it might be him again but it was somebody else.

I really have not been following my ratings in a while so I have no clue if he downrated
Especially, in this political atmosphere,... whenever I've picked up a ride in the last 6-months or so,... if the PAX strike up a conversation about politics, religion or any form of disparity in America,... -my first response is,... "Me so sorry. My Engrish, not so good." And, it's been pretty quiet so far :o-o:

Christinebitg

Is anyone aware that PR has voted not to be a state a few times?
That's a true statement.

For a while, the island was given some generous benefits to *not* becoming a state.

Example: Puerto Rican corporations were (and still are) allowed to issue bonds that were tax free to all U.S. citizens. Not just tax free for the purposes of federal income tax, but tax free of all state income taxes, by federal law.

We're talking a serious amount of money in lower bond interest rates. And a tremendous economic subsidy to the island as a result. That subsidy will go away if/when Puerto Rico becomes a state.

That's just the example that comes to mind first. There are others.

Coachman

You've spent 3 posts trying to claim I said I was definitively done debating, and I've corrected you 3 times that I never said that. So you're wrong again. But, congratulations, you did get something right. I am now just lobbing shots as you because you've finally given up your uneducated arguments that statehood requires "balance" or a "strategic objective." But rather than just accept you were wrong you're looking for any little thing to nitpick, and you can't even do that right.
You obviously won't be happy until you get the last word. So go ahead... have at it.

SHalester

I go with being down the middle moderate with pax and political 'talk'. Or I just agree with them no matter what to prevent just what happened. No drama is the key. If I wanted drama, I'd go back to my career.....

goneubering

I worked Election Night 2016 in Washington D.C.

It was hilarious. Up until around 9 everyone was in giddy moods.

After about 9 almost every person, male or female, was crying. Some so much I couldn't even communicate with them. 🤦‍♂️

This pic sums up every rider I had after 9:

View attachment 520250

I can only imagine what Tuesday's gonna be like (and beyond if there isn't a clear cut winner). I'm in Cancun so I can watch the carnage on TV somewhere warm and not be at Ground Zero.

We won’t have a clear winner for a month or two. 2020 strikes again.

Diamondraider

did you even read your own link? "In 1937, a congressional committee found that Hawaii met all qualifications for statehood and held a vote on statehood in Hawaii. Although this resulted in a vote in favor of statehood, the attack at Pearl Harbor paused all talks as the Japanese population in Hawaii came under suspicion by the U.S. government."

"the strategic importance of hawaii" had nothing to do with it. hawaii should've been a state in 1937. statehood was denied to hawaii for decades because of racism, just like what is happening now with puerto rico.

if you have nothing of substance to respond with, i'm done debating with someone incapable of admitting they're obviously wrong. your "democratic states need to be balanced by republican states" argument has been disproven by the 12-0 republican-democratic states admitted between 1860 and 1900. and your "strategic importance" is disproven by the fact north dakota is a state and guam isn't. those missile silos in ND could be anywhere in the midwest, those airfields in guam can't be moved. and 130 years ago ND offered literally nothing to the US but farmland, which we weren't exactly short on back then. oh, farmland and pissed off indians.

historically statehood has required 4 things: a border, a state constitution, a petition for statehood, and a population the size of a congressional district. puerto rico has all 4. it's time for statehood.

btw, if "strategic importance" is so important to statehood, WTF was the strategic importance of north dakota?
North Dakota is a major source of raw resources

Diamondraider

you mean they predicted the oil boom of the 2010s in 1889?
Post automatically merged:

too bad the irony of your post went right over your head.
  • Agriculture: Supported by its extremely fertile soil, North Dakota's agricultural economy is much larger than most other states. Wheat is the leading farm product in North Dakota, ranking second in production behind Kansas. North Dakota grows more durum wheat (used for pasta) than any other state. North Dakota also leads all other states in the production of barley and sunflower seeds and is a leader in the production of flaxseed (linseed oil). North Dakota is among the leading states in the production of canola seed, honey, navy beans, oats, pinto beans, rye, soybeans and sugar beets. Hay is important, grown for livestock feed. In the livestock category, beef cattle are the state's most important product. Milk ranks second. North Dakota farmers also raise hogs. Honey production in the state ranks North Dakota among the leading producers. [Find out more]

• Mining: North Dakota's most important mined product is petroleum. Coal and natural gas are also important. Other mined products are sand and gravel, providing the most income, clays and salt.

MCR2020

• Agriculture: Supported by its extremely fertile soil, North Dakota's agricultural economy is much larger than most other states. Wheat is the leading farm product in North Dakota, ranking second in production behind Kansas. North Dakota grows more durum wheat (used for pasta) than any other state. North Dakota also leads all other states in the production of barley and sunflower seeds and is a leader in the production of flaxseed (linseed oil). North Dakota is among the leading states in the production of canola seed, honey, navy beans, oats, pinto beans, rye, soybeans and sugar beets. Hay is important, grown for livestock feed. In the livestock category, beef cattle are the state's most important product. Milk ranks second. North Dakota farmers also raise hogs. Honey production in the state ranks North Dakota among the leading producers. [Find out more]

• Mining: North Dakota's most important mined product is petroleum. Coal and natural gas are also important. Other mined products are sand and gravel, providing the most income, clays and salt.
you mean they predicted the oil boom of the 2010s in 1889?

as for agriculture, that's a pretty low bar for "strategic importance," especially considering iowa, kansas, nebraska, illinois, etc. were already states. and certainly PR's territorial water rights are more valuable to the US than wheat fields.

Coachman

But you were going to let me have the last word, and that was 3 or four posts ago. Seems you're running behind, genius.
I was going to let you have the last word. I just thought it would be a bit more clever.

Last edited:

SHalester

I was going to let you have the last word. I just thought it would be a bit more clever.
if one really wants somebody's head to explode write you are giving them the last word and don't post again. BOOM goes the head. AT least one x member here fell for it every single time. Was quite entertaining.