Got a bad feeling

FLKeys

Saturday night, Sunday morning, just before 1 am things are slowing down and lots of ants still out. I am parked outside one of the few spots left open to get a ride, about 25 miles from home, so I set DF to home and hope I get a ride at least part of the way toward home. About 10 minutes go by and I get a ping 2 minutes in the wrong direction however it is 18 minutes toward my destination. Great, I accept it.

Get there and there are two people outside a bar, 1 smoking and the other just milling around. About 2 minutes of waiting and the person smoking goes back in the bar. The other person continues milling around. About 30 seconds before the shuffle time pops up the person milling around walks up to my window and identifies himself as my PAX, I confirm his name and ask destination before unlocking the door to make sure it is the way I want to go. His destination is strange, a restaurant that closed over 2 hours ago, kind of a remote place for this area.

PAX gets in and we head toward destination. PAX is quite at first then starts asking strange questions and making strange comments. Nothing offensive just strange. I can hear him digging through his small backpack several times. I start getting that uneasy feeling.

He says in a mumbling voice that he is glad he will be starting a second job soon. I ask him where and he says I can't remember, it's South. I ask is it a hotel or restaurant and he says I guess I should have asked. At this point my creep alarm is on super high alert. I nonchalantly confirm my self protection tools are properly staged and I move my pepper spray to a quick grab position. Manually unlock my door, and make sure my seat belt release is not obstructed. I just had a bad feeling at this point.

My standard procedure is start trip and take a snap shot of the waybill. Second guessing I did that this time and my creep alarm going overboard I take another screen shot of the waybill just to make sure I have it. About a minute after doing this the PAX asks did you take a picture? I simply say I took a screen shot of my trip information for my records. At this point we are two minutes from destination. He replies I thought you took my picture. I said no need to do that the dash cam records everything and saves it to the cloud (okay the cloud part was a lie but he had no way of knowing that). I also point at that dash cam that is obviously right there. He implied he never saw it.

We pull up to the restaurant and I ask him do you want dropped in front or on the side? He replies oh go past the restaurant and turn right on the first road, I live in the first building on the right. I do that and stop at the first building. He says no go to the end of the road and turn left and I am in the first building on the right. Okay there is no building on the right after you turn left, now my creep alarm is really going into overtime. I stop in the very back of the complex about 200 yards from the road and just stare at him through the mirror. He finally gets out and I immediately lock the doors and start driving off. I turn the corner and head out to the side road. I get to the stop sign at the main road and make a quick entry in my log book, maybe 30 seconds at the most. I look in my mirror and the PAX is walking toward my car. What the.....I hit the gas and turn on to the main road and get the heck out of there.

Now for this guy to get to the road that fast after I dropped him off he had to be running back to the road through the complex. I thought for sure this guy was going to try and rob me or something, I have never had such a bad feeling from a PAX in the 2+ years I have been doing this.

I was constantly evaluating my options once my creep alarm started going off and hoping I would pass a deputy sheriff on the side of the road like I usually do in this area and time of night, no luck. Because of the lack of cars on the road I figured my best option was to just be ready and finish the trip. While watching the dash cam footage this morning of the ride I got that same uneasy feeling. I think this guy was up to no good and started second guessing himself.

Be safe out there and have a plan in case things go bad.

Another Uber Driver

make sure my seat belt release is not obstructed
What you do is take off your seat belt. Buckle it behind you, if you must to keep the bell from dinging. I know, Florida is a primary state, but so are the District of Columbia and Maryland. If I get the creeps, I take off mine. If the police stop me, I tell them what it what.

If I do drive at night, I prefer to drive the cab. In the District of Columbia, taxicabs are exempt from the seat belt law at night if they are carrying a customer or pulling to the kerb to pick up one. Cabs are totally exempt in Virginia and Maryland. UberX and Lyft cars are NOT exempt at any time in any of those jurisidictions. Still, if I get the creeps and am going to haul the customer, off comes the seat belt.

I did have one cab customer remark about it. He tried to get me to put on the thing. I balked. He got out of the cab.

Virginia is a secondary state.

AdAstra

Saturday night, Sunday morning, just before 1 am things are slowing down and lots of ants still out. I am parked outside one of the few spots left open to get a ride, about 25 miles from home, so I set DF to home and hope I get a ride at least part of the way toward home. About 10 minutes go by and I get a ping 2 minutes in the wrong direction however it is 18 minutes toward my destination. Great, I accept it.

Get there and there are two people outside a bar, 1 smoking and the other just milling around. About 2 minutes of waiting and the person smoking goes back in the bar. The other person continues milling around. About 30 seconds before the shuffle time pops up the person milling around walks up to my window and identifies himself as my PAX, I confirm his name and ask destination before unlocking the door to make sure it is the way I want to go. His destination is strange, a restaurant that closed over 2 hours ago, kind of a remote place for this area.

PAX gets in and we head toward destination. PAX is quite at first then starts asking strange questions and making strange comments. Nothing offensive just strange. I can hear him digging through his small backpack several times. I start getting that uneasy feeling.

He says in a mumbling voice that he is glad he will be starting a second job soon. I ask him where and he says I can't remember, it's South. I ask is it a hotel or restaurant and he says I guess I should have asked. At this point my creep alarm is on super high alert. I nonchalantly confirm my self protection tools are properly staged and I move my pepper spray to a quick grab position. Manually unlock my door, and make sure my seat belt release is not obstructed. I just had a bad feeling at this point.

My standard procedure is start trip and take a snap shot of the waybill. Second guessing I did that this time and my creep alarm going overboard I take another screen shot of the waybill just to make sure I have it. About a minute after doing this the PAX asks did you take a picture? I simply say I took a screen shot of my trip information for my records. At this point we are two minutes from destination. He replies I thought you took my picture. I said no need to do that the dash cam records everything and saves it to the cloud (okay the cloud part was a lie but he had no way of knowing that). I also point at that dash cam that is obviously right there. He implied he never saw it.

We pull up to the restaurant and I ask him do you want dropped in front or on the side? He replies oh go past the restaurant and turn right on the first road, I live in the first building on the right. I do that and stop at the first building. He says no go to the end of the road and turn left and I am in the first building on the right. Okay there is no building on the right after you turn left, now my creep alarm is really going into overtime. I stop in the very back of the complex about 200 yards from the road and just stare at him through the mirror. He finally gets out and I immediately lock the doors and start driving off. I turn the corner and head out to the side road. I get to the stop sign at the main road and make a quick entry in my log book, maybe 30 seconds at the most. I look in my mirror and the PAX is walking toward my car. What the.....I hit the gas and turn on to the main road and get the heck out of there.

Now for this guy to get to the road that fast after I dropped him off he had to be running back to the road through the complex. I thought for sure this guy was going to try and rob me or something, I have never had such a bad feeling from a PAX in the 2+ years I have been doing this.

I was constantly evaluating my options once my creep alarm started going off and hoping I would pass a deputy sheriff on the side of the road like I usually do in this area and time of night, no luck. Because of the lack of cars on the road I figured my best option was to just be ready and finish the trip. While watching the dash cam footage this morning of the ride I got that same uneasy feeling. I think this guy was up to no good and started second guessing himself.

Trust your Gut and you Did 👍
Did he wear a mask 😷? Did u insist?

Invisible

False alarm. Let me tell you something strange, but true. The aliens are already among us. You won’t find “proof” they’re too advanced, too smart.

I picked up a couple once, everything they said sounded scripted. Very odd individuals... I never forgot that encounter.
So your alien couple didn’t look like ET then?

ariel5466

Things I've learned about staying safe doing rideshare include always trusting your intuition and not hesitating to cancel on anyone who makes you feel uncomfortable for any reason. Hasn't failed me yet.

I'm glad you're okay. Stay safe out there!

TheDevilisaParttimer

Sounds like you goofed the obvious shuffle and as punish had to drive Ted Bundy home.

NotYetADriver

probably was horny and desperate for some action....maybe he saw you as game?

What you didn't know was the cigarette dude told him to FO is why you saw him walk away

SinTaxERROR

Sorry I creeped you out... but hey... at least I gave you a great story to write on UP... :o-o: :thumbup: :roflmao: