1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

GOP interns: Uber driver refused us service because of MAGA hats

Discussion in 'News' started by njn, Jul 13, 2018.

1. njn

njn

GOP interns: Uber driver refused us service because of MAGA hats

Several interns on Capitol Hill for a program geared toward young black Republicans said an Uber driver refused to give them a ride together in Washington this week because two of them were carrying pro-Trump “Make America Great Again” hats.

The incident unfolded Tuesday, according to the interns, when they piled into an Uber to head to a monthly gathering of supporters of the president at the Trump International Hotel in Washington.

In interviews with Fox News, three of the interns said the driver picked them up at George Washington University. But after the driver asked them about the famous pro-Trump red hats, he told the interns he couldn't give them a ride, they said.

The interns, who have been working for Republican lawmakers this summer, said they were forced to get out of the Uber car.

The company responded: “We aim to provide a reliable service to everyone who uses Uber. We have reached out to both the rider and the driver, and continue to look into this.”

One of the interns who had a Trump hat, 20-year-old Matthew Handy of Kentucky, recalled being “ticked off.”

“I’m a black male in America that supports and voted for Donald Trump... We’re supposed to be a country that accepts everybody for who they are, a melting pot, but the moment I say or do something that doesn’t coincide with their political beliefs, I’m the bad guy,” said Handy, who is interning for Illinois GOP Rep. Mike Bost.

Handy said he’s complained to Uber but hasn’t heard anything back other than an automatic response.

“We take this very seriously,” the ride-sharing service tweeted back to Handy after he went public on Twitter.

Another passenger in the car, 33-year-old Adria Barrington of Tallahassee, who is interning for Arizona GOP Rep. David Schweikert, said she found the experience frightening.

“Denying me service -- because I know we were denied service based on our political thoughts and views -- will not change my political thoughts and beliefs,” Barrington said. “Denying me service is only going to make me fight harder to prove to everyone that it is conceivable to be an African American and a conservative.”

“To prejudge someone is not in the moral compass of America,” said Elijah Allison of Florida, the other passenger with a hat. (Elijah Allison)

Elijah Allison of Florida, the other passenger with a Trump hat, expressed disappointment over the incident. He is interning this summer in the office of Colorado GOP Rep. Ken Buck.

“To prejudge someone is not in the moral compass of America,” Allison said. “Even though we may not have the same political affiliations or other beliefs, we should be able to agree to disagree.”

The interns are part of the Diversity Internship Program run by Buck. The Colorado Republican lawmaker's office says the congressman has complained to Uber.

Handy said he’s anxious to hear back from the company about the driver.

“I want a statement from the guy,” he said, “and I want him fired."

It comes as liberal protesters step up confrontations in public with Trump administration officials and allies, at the encouragement of Democratic Rep. Maxine Waters of California and others.

"If you see anybody from that Cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd and you push back on them and you tell them they’re not welcome anymore, anywhere," Waters recently said.

Among those who have been asked to leave or protested at restaurants or other public places in recent weeks: White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders, Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, former EPA administrator Scott Pruitt and White House aide Stephen Miller.

Fox News' Chad Pergram contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ver-refused-us-service-because-maga-hats.html

2. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5

Driving:
    Livery
    I still waiting for the punchline.

3. That's rich. They're complaining about discrimination. Guess it's okay though to discriminate against Latinos, muslims, women, LGBT, news outlets and everyone else Trump and his acolytes discriminate against.

Take a taxi. That's where they belong. I'm sure they'll be happy with their Muslim can driver.

4. Uber's Guber

Uber's Guber

Driving:
    UberX
    Driver would already be deactivated if the interns had worn “I’m With Her” hats.

5. UBERPROcolorado

UBERPROcolorado

Driving:
    UberX
    The snowflake driver should be deactivated and probably will be.

I am a conservative and a Christian. I take liberals, gays, fem-Nazis and the rest of the low-life’s. I treat them well and respect their decision to be a snowflake.

6. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5

Driving:
    Livery
    This Newsweek article is why the snowflakes hate anyone associated with Trump. They find it hard to believe that a president whom Tweets like a Kardashian and is hated more than Johnson was during Vietnam is actually doing better for this country than any president before him in modern history.

DONALD TRUMP'S APPROVAL RATING SURGED IN THE FIRST HALF OF 2018: HERE'S WHY
    By Greg Price On Monday, July 2, 2018 - 12:11

Wilhelm Klink likes this.
  7. thepeach

thepeach

As a Christian I do not discriminate against riders with views different than mine. Becoming more like Jesus means that we learn from the fact that he ate with a variety of folks. Driving rideshare makes me pray with all my heart asking God to help me to be fairly rated by passengers. A passenger gave me a one star that was unfair. I prayed about it. The other day I asked Uber about the one star at the Greenlight offuce. Tonight I checked my account and that one star is gone.

Uber's Guber likes this.
  8. Lag Monkey

Lag Monkey

Driving:
    UberX
    As someone who isn’t political...liberals make me not want to support democrats. They are over the top aggressive and disrespectful. Plus many seem to dislike America

thepeach and Uber's Guber like this.
  9. njn

njn

When will political affiliation become a protected class?